Twice milled grains - see picture

WheatBeerCH

Trial Member
Reaction score
So, trying to improve efficiency by grinding grains finer. My LHBS milled the grain for me, but it clearly wasn't adequate for BIAB.

The pre-milled grains are in the plastic bag. I ran them through a cheese grater (also used for nuts and grains) and you can see the sample in the plate. Look about right for BIAB?

-hbR10XhlsVRVyx0GDuS7aPQR0VKjGt8AJMyH7UsMy8ZBBMnQM8qqiSeYyEOjoPi--ii8lkir8mwLANR767f1E9rGZUFV2RBMf7voSf3HnT22nLYDG4IpBfp8gZ36hOwXu0dboJexAN8psv8LQfaqDhOP1XsVCi2BFbA7shwEfoSVI4KELdw-Bp9DBZfHB2a-BRl4MfRX3eV4Amd8UTtTOCqEiI7zA3YP1rO2fo99TOXMUzEFERt8geFZ5GLoVgo3pl1kXGlQRinfs-9p1u_P6Lm1rLvSkwPdxzsTOctYhHwLUF5NhkcujJaKAWsbU8rG003gZUZ26eQpEhU55n9MT4dbnpoJV0DJQ9B5RngKOIUpbkhC3k7gJmw7zeUEmoDU_834ixsshJQ2gkj2frLz_tH1WW3xrwcfAweakMCAeMn7pC3L4L-RC_itiWV77nwdqxnBZwDmkvgMILUjOSRXoWBngpLnF_-_JDKqWAATkEJFPk3HCH8bPNCKU9jw_mNv7fZSRpSMxRqZCRGsJDkcNgpBTHrsVMQd5gbz0J4ilXOld5Dq72CI4ZK2zoCHmnOKWuuZkIUD1tSJBbMfLGUargyr5j3cxal7OHZ-4EW8_mgFomRsG1oZqju2L8tVidwCBVlpO52Xbc9lrOu4SmowEVfmVCA6Atf_-dIEdbIY5XydG_TRIzOxIB_6fUUuxk=w697-h929-no

.... and here's the grater :)

0c4c2490c8d4a0594db990d4ee3b55e461d0.jpg

?? Not seeing the grains. Love the grater though. :)

I have a Zyliss grater, and just used it today to grate Parmesan over a pasta dish. I know for sure that I would not want to run a batch of grain through mine, though it is a hand-held unit. But whatever works.

So, trying to improve efficiency by grinding grains finer. My LHBS milled the grain for me, but it clearly wasn't adequate for BIAB.

The pre-milled grains are in the plastic bag. I ran them through a cheese grater (also used for nuts and grains) and you can see the sample in the plate. Look about right for BIAB?

-hbR10XhlsVRVyx0GDuS7aPQR0VKjGt8AJMyH7UsMy8ZBBMnQM8qqiSeYyEOjoPi--ii8lkir8mwLANR767f1E9rGZUFV2RBMf7voSf3HnT22nLYDG4IpBfp8gZ36hOwXu0dboJexAN8psv8LQfaqDhOP1XsVCi2BFbA7shwEfoSVI4KELdw-Bp9DBZfHB2a-BRl4MfRX3eV4Amd8UTtTOCqEiI7zA3YP1rO2fo99TOXMUzEFERt8geFZ5GLoVgo3pl1kXGlQRinfs-9p1u_P6Lm1rLvSkwPdxzsTOctYhHwLUF5NhkcujJaKAWsbU8rG003gZUZ26eQpEhU55n9MT4dbnpoJV0DJQ9B5RngKOIUpbkhC3k7gJmw7zeUEmoDU_834ixsshJQ2gkj2frLz_tH1WW3xrwcfAweakMCAeMn7pC3L4L-RC_itiWV77nwdqxnBZwDmkvgMILUjOSRXoWBngpLnF_-_JDKqWAATkEJFPk3HCH8bPNCKU9jw_mNv7fZSRpSMxRqZCRGsJDkcNgpBTHrsVMQd5gbz0J4ilXOld5Dq72CI4ZK2zoCHmnOKWuuZkIUD1tSJBbMfLGUargyr5j3cxal7OHZ-4EW8_mgFomRsG1oZqju2L8tVidwCBVlpO52Xbc9lrOu4SmowEVfmVCA6Atf_-dIEdbIY5XydG_TRIzOxIB_6fUUuxk=w697-h929-no

.... and here's the grater :)

0c4c2490c8d4a0594db990d4ee3b55e461d0.jpg
Looks good to me!

Me no see no grains man.

I use a glorified blender to mill mine for BIAB
If I didn't have this I'd just use a normal blender off course will small amounts at a time.

Maybe try the blender next time and see what you like moreo_O

Me no see no grains man.

I use a glorified blender to mill mine for BIAB
If I didn't have this I'd just use a normal blender off course will small amounts at a time.

Maybe try the blender next time and see what you like moreo_O

Hmmm, here's one more try posting the grain picture:

I have a Zyliss grater, and just used it today to grate Parmesan over a pasta dish. I know for sure that I would not want to run a batch of grain through mine, though it is a hand-held unit. But whatever works.

Well, it took me about 15 seconds to grind the few ounces in the plate, so i'm willing to put in the 2 minutes of grinding if it helps my efficiency!

I see the pics just fine on mobile. Again, I think crush looks good.

For BIAB, I would crush finer. Everyone has their own personal sweet spot, but I would like to see more flour than that.

I agree with @Megary about crushing finer for BIAB. Maybe a little finer than what is on the plate.

For BIAB, I would crush finer. Everyone has their own personal sweet spot, but I would like to see more flour than that.
Wow! Well, i've got three inserts and used the middle one to grind what you see in the picture. The coarse insert did almost nothing, and the fine insert instantly turned the grains to powder. So, i'll mill a third time with the medium.

I read that you could end up with a bunch of muck if you grind too fine. Also, my brew bag has bigger holes on the bottom (i guess for water flow) than on the sides. So, i'm afraid i'll have more sludge with my bag!

I just had my first brew a few weeks ago. I guess the coarsely milled grain by my LHBS largely explains why my post mash OG was around 1.030 for a beer that was supposed to be 1.070 ?

Not sure. I get grains from a couple of lhbs. At “the old” lhbs, they let customers weigh and mill their own grains - there, I always double milled. At “the new” lhbs, they do all of the weighing and milling - they claim to use a state of the art mill, which has a setting that works very well for BIAB crush. I always get good results, whichever lhbs I use.

Wow! Well, i've got three inserts and used the middle one to grind what you see in the picture. The coarse insert did almost nothing, and the fine insert instantly turned the grains to powder. So, i'll mill a third time with the medium.

I read that you could end up with a bunch of muck if you grind too fine. Also, my brew bag has bigger holes on the bottom (i guess for water flow) than on the sides. So, i'm afraid i'll have more sludge with my bag!

? I've never seen a brew bag that had different size holes. Are you sure the bag is designed for brewing this way? I use cheap bags and they would definitely handle a finer grind than what's on your plate above.

Not sure. I get grains from a couple of lhbs. At “the old” lhbs, they let customers weigh and mill their own grains - there, I always double milled. At “the new” lhbs, they do all of the weighing and milling - they claim to use a state of the art mill, which has a setting that works very well for BIAB crush. I always get good results, whichever lhbs I use.
I told my LHBS that i needed milling for BIAB. They said they don't play around with the settings, so you get what you get. Guess customer service aint their thing.

? I've never seen a brew bag that had different size holes. Are you sure the bag is designed for brewing this way? I use cheap bags and they would definitely handle a finer grind than what's on your plate above.

here it is: https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-pr...ttles-filter-bottoms/d/mashing-bag-30x30x35cm

Mashing bag
Specially for use in brewing kettles and mashing bins. With fine side walls and coarse bottom for optimal sparging. Also suitable for hop boiling.

Im gonna give it another try on Friday and we'll see what happens.

I agree with @Megary about crushing finer for BIAB. Maybe a little finer than what is on the plate.
I would be worried about astringency from shredded grain hulls, is that something that you've encountered before?

Back