Twice milled grains - see picture

This is what my grain looks like after I mill it.
upload_2021-1-25_16-3-47.png

I have no idea if it's more or less. I generally lose about 2L of liquid to trub after fermentation, I've been mashing in a bag with that level of crush for 2+ years now and it works well enough for me.

I have a bag from https://www.brewinabag.com/ cause Brulosophy recommended them, I have at least 100 batches in my bag and it's chugging along still.

I would be worried about astringency from shredded grain hulls, is that something that you've encountered before?
I’ve never noticed astringency from crushing too fine. I think if that were really a problem, BIAB wouldn’t even exist. I’m not an expert on the matter, but my guess is that astringency is more likely caused by a too-high mash pH. And even at that, it would probably have to be way too high...like 6+.

I'm pretty sure if I grind that fine, my brew bag would be close to useless because of the big holes on the bottom: https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-pr...ttles-filter-bottoms/d/mashing-bag-30x30x35cm

do you get extra trub milling that way?
Wouldn't worry about it. Only way I've ever milled but I don't get that much trub. Also you can just pour your unpitched wort through some kind of screen or filter, just make sure it's sanitized. I've used 2 different kinds of bags for BIAB, mesh and cheese cloth. Looks like yours might be like some combination of the two. Mesh works fine, let's a little more through but I don't worry about that. I noticed the first time I used for a 5 gallon batch (around 10 pounds of grain dry) though that the seams on my mesh were stretching a little. Concerned I bought a couple extra bags as backup, both cheesecloth. Decided to use one for my last brew and I regreted it. It's finer than the mesh so let's less through but that includes water, it drains much slower. When I went to lift the bag out between the wet grains and extra water that sucker weighed well over 50 pounds. Now I can lift that but I sure can't hold it above the kettle for several minutes to drain. Really put a hitch in my brew day and took some ingenuity to get it drained and it got kinda messy. Don't think I'll use it again unless I do smaller batches. Anyways that would be my guess with the different materials. It's designed to let less flour out the sides but still easily drain water out the bottom. I'd still go fine if it were me.

I would be worried about astringency from shredded grain hulls, is that something that you've encountered before?
Whether ground up or nearly whole, the same hulls will give out the same compounds during mashing. Astringency is more a factor of temperature and not crush. In an hour, the water gets the sugars from even the center of the grain, assuming there's at least a small crack in the hull. Smaller crush helps make up for reduced circulation from BIAB (essentially, the edges don't see much flow, the center volume gets almost all of it). The bag can hold on to the fine stuff better.

Last edited:

^What he said.

When I hear about astringency from grain hulls I'm assuming people are talking about extracting tannins. To extract tannins from the hulls you also need a higher pH as well as the higher temperature. Mainly a risk for people fly sparging, not for BIAB.

Honestly both of the LHBS near me will mill finer or double mill if you tell them biab.
Honestly i can just send them the recipe say for biab and they'll have it all in one bag ready to go when i arrive. My favorite one even showed me the settings on the mill he has preset. For when I'm in myself rather then just ordering online.
So honestly they should be able to help you get what you need

Honestly both of the LHBS near me will mill finer or double mill if you tell them biab.
Honestly i can just send them the recipe say for biab and they'll have it all in one bag ready to go when i arrive. My favorite one even showed me the settings on the mill he has preset. For when I'm in myself rather then just ordering online.
So honestly they should be able to help you get what you need
Yeah, that's not gonna happen. There is no LHBS nearby, so its only mail order. They charge for milling and that's just the way it is. I will be getting my own mill so I dont have to deal with any of that.

Back