Low cal beer

Also, I'm guessing you're fly sparging based on what I've read? Have you considered batch or no sparge options? Considerably less work.

Also, I'm guessing you're fly sparging based on what I've read? Have you considered batch or no sparge options? Considerably less work.

Well shucks, I have to do some labor so i can enjoy my premium barley squeezings!? I do herms and change the temps a bit. It isnt all that much work the way its set up, but thanks for the thought!

Have you found a place to purchase the 1ltr package?

No, it is carried by many companys but its backordered every where I have looked! There is a similar product that i will probably order and in a smaller/less expensive package!

Sounds like you have a fancier setup than me. I have to move mine to use my garage so I keep it simple and easy to put away.

Hey Dome...that looks like a gonna -try to me....do you cap the barley in the mash tun with the corn, oats and rice or is it mixed in?

All mixed in. It was beautiful golden. I showed a picture last summer in pics of your brews. It was great & disappeared post haste. I named it "If you might have to pee in a cup, don't drink this beer"

Sounds like you have a fancier setup than me. I have to move mine to use my garage so I keep it simple and easy to put away.

Ya know, brewing was much simpler back in those days! Going to bigger batches has brought lots more to think about!

Acid? What kind and how much? Do you get a box of oh strips and test several times? I have always loved at a place that has had incredible well water and have never worried about what's in the water. Coffee is amazing in the morn, even the second pot! Durn, maybe time to test? Thanks for the insite!
The amount of acid depends on batch size, hardness of the water, type and strength of the acid. Even good well water can be fairly hard and may need to be treated with acid.

Acid like lactic or phosporic, a couple of milliliters if concentrated.

Last batch I used 1.5 oz of 10% phosphoric for 7 quarts of sparge water.

Acid like lactic or phosporic, a couple of milliliters if concentrated.

Last batch I used 1.5 oz of 10% phosphoric for 7 quarts of sparge water.
That's a LOT of acid! Sure you didn't mean milliliters?

That's a LOT of acid! Sure you didn't mean milliliters?
it's only 10% phosphoric acid. At 85% it would be 1/8 of that, .1875 ounces or 5.5 ml. That's still a lot in 7 quarts, but it also depends on the mineral content of the water. It may not be out of line.

it's only 10% phosphoric acid. At 85% it would be 1/8 of that, .1875 ounces or 5.5 ml.
Precisely.

I agree it is a lot of acid, kind of scary when I added it, but I don't feel there were any negative effects.

it's only 10% phosphoric acid. At 85% it would be 1/8 of that, .1875 ounces or 5.5 ml. That's still a lot in 7 quarts, but it also depends on the mineral content of the water. It may not be out of line.
That's what I overlooked. I dilute my phosphoric to 50% and use 88% lactic so I'm used to measuring in ml rather than ounces.

Have you found a place to purchase the 1ltr package?

Yup, they just got it in stock, mines on the way!! Just checked on it and its already sold out in the 1 liter size. I put a request for notice when it came in and I jumped right on it. https://www.homebrewingco.com is where I purchased it from. $90.00 for a liter! It shipped the day I ordered. Heres a link for the vial, cheapest I have ever seen it http://www.homebrewing.com/equipment/GF_wln4000_whitelabs_clarity_ferm_GF_WLN4000/

Back