How long per step in a yeast starter

Krausen now died down and bubbles slowed. Took 48 hours but now cold crashing in the garage with forecast 0 deg C overnight tomorrow if I can wait.

I’ll boil up another 2L of DME solution ready to do step 2 and then brew my saison at the weekend hopefully with 600bn cells ready to go to work. Woop woop.

BTW, ref the supernatant definition - who knew centrifugation wasn’t a made up word either!
We are an edumucated bunch here on BF!

I just moved the stir plate upstairs and spun up a new starter. Definitely a lot more krausen! (it is really fresh yeast...)
....and today, I have yeast goo everywhere! :D
Guess, somewhere between 10° and 20°C might be best (or a smaller starter, than 2L in a 2l Erlenmeyer....)

....and today, I have yeast goo everywhere! :D
Guess, somewhere between 10° and 20°C might be best (or a smaller starter, than 2L in a 2l Erlenmeyer....)
Amen! First flask I bought was a 1lt flask used it a few times and realised i needed to go bigger. I went middle of the road 3lt flask I do 2.5lt starter safely in it. But id go smaller with a more expressive yeast like wheat bier of kolsch ha.
Honestly I havnt made a starter in ages being on the kviek train and when using lager yeast I've just been using slurry for a time or three then starting fresh again.

When you're doing the starter you're focusing on growing healthy yeast, so you can stop any time after you've reached high krausen. You'll miss out on a few extra cells, but the yeast will be at their healthiest as they haven't spent much of their resources on actually fermenting the wort. Though it's not really that big a deal if you miss it. Last few of mine have fermented out while I haven't been paying attention and still perform really well in the final batch.

I've liked it all my life, but my mom nearly died when I was 15 so my world view is probably affected by that.

Ok, second step finished. What’s this stratification all about then?

Attachments

• 6C12530B-230F-4717-8632-DC3FE2950DD3.jpeg
    6C12530B-230F-4717-8632-DC3FE2950DD3.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 64
It's trub, then yeast, then highly flocculant yeast (from the bottom up). Just decant the liquid then dump the rest in to ferment.

Looks like there's a bit to drop yet pop it in the fridge I would unless your itching to brew:rolleyes:

Yep, that's what happens with happy, hungry yeasties at their peak of readiness. Glad it worked so well!

Bingo bango. You've got a yeast starter done. Nice work.

I know. Cool.

One of those milestones in the journey from beginner to intermediate brewer. Next challenge - water treatment? Yeast harvesting? Use a beer gun to fill bottles? Get a stainless FV?

Any or all of the above? Yeast harvesting is the one thing in that list that you can legitimately do to save money though. So might be a good starting point. Then you can justify that fancy stainless fermenter because you saved so much money on yeast. ;)

Back