Weirdest fermentations that tasted good

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm at work just a bit ago putting stuff up in the stockroom when a box comes apart on me and a bunch of half gallon bottles of store brand lemonade go on the floor. Was initially relieved that none of the caps broke off but then noticed one bottle had swollen up and no longer resembled a rectangular juice bottle (think OceanSpray) but a 2 liter pop/soda bottle and fizz was seeping from the cap. Got it over a trash bin and carefully and slowly undid the cap to release the pressure. Once I got it open there was the unmistakable aroma, it smelled like beer! Still has a few months to the sell-by date but that sucker had fermented. I poured it out but then wondered if I should have given it a taste first just to see what it was like. Got me thinking though what's the craziest thing you've tried fermenting, either on purpose or by accident, that you actually thought tasted pretty good?

Maple syrup, completely by mistake, but definitely had alcohol in it. Did not drink it though, had a sour-vinegar kind of taste and figured it was best poured out.

I routinely ferment milk with a live culture though Filmjolk nothing spontaneous that's off milk:).

I did make another probiotic beer out of my wife's probiotic tablets after reading the lable and seeing a Saccharomyces yeast strain in it.
It was weird but not horrible I still drunk it:D.

I routinely ferment milk with a live culture though Filmjolk nothing spontaneous that's off milk:).

I did make another probiotic beer out of my wife's probiotic tablets after reading the lable and seeing a Saccharomyces yeast strain in it.
It was weird but not horrible I still drunk it:D.
So you just pitched probiotic tablets into wort or something like that?

So you just pitched probiotic tablets into wort or something like that?
I'm trying to find the thread but it's buried.
I remember the strain was Saccharomyces Boulardi. If you do a Google search I'm not the only brewer who has tried using this yeast to make a batch of craft beer lol commercial craft breweries have had a stab.

What I did was made a starter think it was 2lt added I think it was one capsule maybe too.
Fermented it transfered to PET bottle force carbonated and drunk it. I remember it was funky that's for sure but I remember bannana fruity esters similar maybe to saison/Belgian sorts yeast.
Cool eh:)

That thread is required reading. One of my favorite since I joined the community.
Yeah I just read through it I havnt got back on the Boulardi train more like kviek train.
Missus is on the probiotic pils atm but their Lacto strain sours another day.

Yeah I just read through it I havnt got back on the Boulardi train more like kviek train.
Missus is on the probiotic pils atm but their Lacto strain sours another day.
If you ever get back on that let us know

If you ever get back on that let us know
Ah you know I will!
Actually reading that old threads inspired me to yet Not my sphincter and get my cider mini batch yeast experiments happening.
@Zambezi Special might like it since u know she is on a cider kick.:)

I know @BOB357 also has a pretty solid cider recipie if my memory serves me correctly.

Anyhow sorry for the derail.

Have you checked out the Chilli fermentation hot sauce thread I did that's wild fermentation

Also I remember @oliver did a spontaneous beer fermentation awhile back as well which was super cool!
@Mark Farrall also dabbles in the wild side I've read as well if I'm not correct?

Ah you know I will!
Actually reading that old threads inspired me to yet Not my sphincter and get my cider mini batch yeast experiments happening.
@Zambezi Special might like it since u know she is on a cider kick.:)

I know @BOB357 also has a pretty solid cider recipie if my memory serves me correctly.

Anyhow sorry for the derail.

Have you checked out the Chilli fermentation hot sauce thread I did that's wild fermentation

Also I remember @oliver did a spontaneous beer fermentation awhile back as well which was super cool!
@Mark Farrall also dabbles in the wild side I've read as well if I'm not correct?
I've tried a few wild captures. One, from a friends farm, is still getting used regularly. The rest are consigned to history. And probably time to try a few more. See if I can get something worthy of the South Melbourne Spontaneous ale name.

I've fermented chili's very successfully
And cucumbers
I figure sourdough is also sort of a fermentation. Playing with that on a regular base
Sauerkraut
And I tried to ferment rape in the same way as sauerkraut, but that became something resembling a science experiment gone horribly wrong! Won't be repeating that one.

I've been looking at sausages, slightly fermented ones, but I haven't taken that step yet. It will happen though,one day!
Same as dosa.... I will get around to giving that a try.

I have fermented all kind of store bought fruit juices with baker's yeast. Some of them were actually quite nice. They took a long time to mature though

And Kvas..... Gotta add that to my "to do" list

I'm attempting to make fermented hot sauce, so that's my current fermentation.

Back