"Unofficial" community recipe

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello! Each quarter we'll discuss in this thread what we want the style of beer brewed to be. The first beer selected was a kolsch! Whether you want to brew something traditional, or a twist on a classic, please feel free to post your thoughts, recipes, questions, and fermentation and tasting notes here!

After March, we'll decide what we want the next style to be, cheers! :D

I'm going with 95% Pilsner, 5% Vienna, Spalt hops at 60 mins to 25 IBUs. Kolsch yeast, the Wyeast variant, can't think of the number. Step mash 144/156/170, cool fermentation, short lagering, around 2.6 vols CO2.

I'm thinking the Summer Citra Kolsch. I love the combination of Citra & Chrystal hops. I'm hoping to use this brew for our International Group as well.
Can't wait.

Another new one for me! I need to order Pilsner and Kolsch yeast. I plan to step mash (or at least how I do it in my electric). I assume Hallertau or saaz would work? Also in a follow up to one of my other threads what are you all doing to water? I want to brew a “boring” traditional one if possible to the best of my ability, equipment, and knowledge. @Sunfire96 @Trialben those recipes look nice and I’ll probably run with one of those.
Good timing for this thread. I needed something else to talk about....

Last edited:
Also, target date. Posted this question in the wrong thread earlier

Joshua - I'm not a water expert by any stretch, but if you know your home water profile, enter it in the calculator ( or zeros for RO water) and then select "light colored and malty" for your target water. In the read I g that I have done, there isn't an agreed upon Koln water profile .. each brewery has their own source or builds to a unique profile. Maybe true? I dunno? But light and malty should work.

OK, it seems we have an interested group, we have had some drop outs ( no judgement ), we don't have a Brewer of the Quarter or a Beer or Style or a tasting/show date. We do have a group who has started their brews. Kolsch seems to be the Style of Choice. As March has been mentioned as a target date for Taste & Tell & Kolsch needs Lagering time, it seems we need to get on with it.
I propose that we proceed with Q1:
  • No Brewer of the Quarter but draw 2 Brewers to serve as Brewer of Q2 with a backup.
  • Brewer of Q2 will pick a personal Flagship Recipe & post it in Recipes.
  • That we choose 1st week of March as Taste & Tell date.
  • Kolsch as the Style of Q1 & get on with it.
Pardon me as my Type A personality is showing through. I await comments, criticism, compliments & brickbats.
Thanks for your consideration.

Except for the fact that I will pass on the Kolsch, which is totally fine, it all sounds good to me.
My version of Shady Bohemian has only been in the fermenter since this past Sunday:oops:, so I am a brew behind anyway...

Might I further suggest that there be an alternate brewer/style/recipe each quarter?
I would like to participate as much as possible:D
If that muddies it up too much, that's cool, just thinking out loud.

I'm sensing some confusion; my apologies. I was hoping that moving the kolsch conversation to a separate thread would help to clarify that this is NOT the official community recipe. This is separate from the recipe that is happening in the "official" thread. If you want to also brew a kolsch and chat about it, awesome, welcome here :) The Q1 brewer, and therefore Q1 recipe, have not yet been selected on the other thread.

Also @56 Firedome, why do you keep assuming we're going to throw bricks at you :D

I'm sensing some confusion; my apologies. I was hoping that moving the kolsch conversation to a separate thread would help to clarify that this is NOT the official community recipe. This is separate from the recipe that is happening in the "official" thread. If you want to also brew a kolsch and chat about it, awesome, welcome here :) The Q1 brewer, and therefore Q1 recipe, have not yet been selected on the other thread.

Also @56 Firedome, why do you keep assuming we're going to throw bricks at you :D
Given a chance, I would... :D:D:D Just kidding, Bob, looking forward to having a beer with you after we've got our shots. I'm forging ahead with Kolsch, plan is to go pick up ingredients and start my starter today.

Except for the fact that I will pass on the Kolsch, which is totally fine, it all sounds good to me.
My version of Shady Bohemian has only been in the fermenter since this past Sunday:oops:, so I am a brew behind anyway...

I'm only a week in front of you @Craigerrr.

Back