My first Vienna Lager - comments?

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year gents - and ladies.
I was thinking about brewing a couple of brews this coming week and, as my garage (read Brewery) is quite cold at the moment (10 - 12C) I thought about doing a Vienna lager style. It's one I haven't done before but since it is a lager and they require cooler fermenting temperature temperatures I could ferment outside my FermFridge so I can use that for a more conventional brew (18 -20C).
I'd welcome any comments on the recipe - as it will be a new one on me though I crafted it ages ago and kept to the style.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/790253/here-we-go-luppolo

The story behind the name - and hence my label - is in two parts. Luppolo is Italian for Hops and, from my childhood, the song Here We Go Looby Loo sprung to mind. Looby Loo was also a character from the Andy Pandy TV series - that's the central character in the label.
Anyway. I would like to know if the recipe is viable to all you old hands out there that have done a Vienna Lager.

upload_2021-1-3_23-1-31.png

Happy New Year gents - and ladies.
I was thinking about brewing a couple of brews this coming week and, as my garage (read Brewery) is quite cold at the moment (10 - 12C) I thought about doing a Vienna lager style. It's one I haven't done before but since it is a lager and they require cooler fermenting temperature temperatures I could ferment outside my FermFridge so I can use that for a more conventional brew (18 -20C).
I'd welcome any comments on the recipe - as it will be a new one on me though I crafted it ages ago and kept to the style.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/790253/here-we-go-luppolo

The story behind the name - and hence my label - is in two parts. Luppolo is Italian for Hops and, from my childhood, the song Here We Go Looby Loo sprung to mind. Looby Loo was also a character from the Andy Pandy TV series - that's the central character in the label.
Anyway. I would like to know if the recipe is viable to all you old hands out there that have done a Vienna Lager.

View attachment 13515

Kind of an unconventional grain bill. Just in case you haven't read the BJCP style guidelines for Vienna Lager, here's a guide to ingredients:

Vienna malt provides a lightly toasty and complex, Maillard-rich malt profile. As with Märzens, only the finest quality malt should be used, along with Continental hops (preferably Saazer types or Styrians). Can use some caramel malts and/or darker malts to add color and sweetness, but caramel malts shouldn’t add significant aroma and flavor and dark malts shouldn’t provide any roasted character.

Not a real concern if you don't plan on entering it into competition. I expect it will be a tasty brew.

Kind of an unconventional grain bill. Just in case you haven't read the BJCP style guidelines for Vienna Lager, here's a guide to ingredients:

Vienna malt provides a lightly toasty and complex, Maillard-rich malt profile. As with Märzens, only the finest quality malt should be used, along with Continental hops (preferably Saazer types or Styrians). Can use some caramel malts and/or darker malts to add color and sweetness, but caramel malts shouldn’t add significant aroma and flavor and dark malts shouldn’t provide any roasted character.

Not a real concern if you don't plan on entering it into competition. I expect it will be a tasty brew.

Yes LOL I agree it is unconventional - I first played about with it using what I had to hand and using BF recipe builder to maximise the green ticks. I have no plans in entering into any competition with any of my beers - I just want to make something tasty to drink.
It's a bit like dog breeding - not an award winning Poodle but a kindly mongrel.

Perhaps the Builder Style Checking process should indicate that a recipe, chosen as a particular style, deviates (or conforms exactly) to that style. This would help novices like me get closer to what is aimed at. As I said I got all the green ticks and

Matches styles based on stats only:
Vienna Lager, American Amber Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Saison, Belgian Specialty Ale, Fruit Beer, Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer, Other Smoked Beer, Specialty Beer, Czech Amber Lager, Vienna Lager, Altbier, Kellerbier: Amber Kellerbier, American Amber Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Saison, Kentucky Common.

This is obviously a very wide range of styles (although I got two hits for Vienna Lager!) - confusing to say the least. Maybe the system can't be that accurate and it should be up to the brewer to do more research - as you suggest with the BJCP guides. Green ticks mean a lot though and it fools you into thinking you are doing the right thing.
Hey.. maybe this is a NEW style? Mongrel Lager? Bitch Brew? Who knows.

Yes LOL I agree it is unconventional - I first played about with it using what I had to hand and using BF recipe builder to maximise the green ticks. I have no plans in entering into any competition with any of my beers - I just want to make something tasty to drink.
It's a bit like dog breeding - not an award winning Poodle but a kindly mongrel.

Perhaps the Builder Style Checking process should indicate that a recipe, chosen as a particular style, deviates (or conforms exactly) to that style. This would help novices like me get closer to what is aimed at. As I said I got all the green ticks and

Matches styles based on stats only:
Vienna Lager, American Amber Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Saison, Belgian Specialty Ale, Fruit Beer, Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer, Other Smoked Beer, Specialty Beer, Czech Amber Lager, Vienna Lager, Altbier, Kellerbier: Amber Kellerbier, American Amber Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Saison, Kentucky Common.

This is obviously a very wide range of styles (although I got two hits for Vienna Lager!) - confusing to say the least. Maybe the system can't be that accurate and it should be up to the brewer to do more research - as you suggest with the BJCP guides. Green ticks mean a lot though and it fools you into thinking you are doing the right thing.
Hey.. maybe this is a NEW style? Mongrel Lager? Bitch Brew? Who knows.

Yep, maybe a Vienna Special Amber Common Mutt Beer :D Like I said, it should be tasty. It's your hobby, so brew what you want. I do.

A lot going on here. I would simplify by removing the Munich and rice at such small amounts and reconsider your crystal malt. Probably more of an international amber lager.

A classic Vienna lager is a SMASH beer: Vienna Malt and Saaz hops. Likely, all of the hops would have been added at the start of the boil. If you want to pump up the malt a bit, some light Munich, not more than 10%.

IMO if you want a Vienna Lager Id switch the Pilsner and Vienna percentages.

Back