Adding hops to beer kit

JJSG Beer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Now and then I make a Coopers Real Ale kit. I would like to make it a bit more hoppy. I'm looking for recommendations for dry hopping. What kind of hops? how long? in primary or secondary fermenter?

What sort of hoppy, more bitterness, or more aroma/flavour?

Depends on the flavor you're looking for. Cascade makes a nice floral aroma, cascade and Lemondrop give you citrus. Others give an earthy.

But as stated by @Steve Ruch , add after main fermentation is complete, 2-5 days.

For a coopers kit, I kind of agree with goldings. Just buy an ounce of that or maybe Fuggle and toss it in, honestly you can toss it in with the yeast and it's NBD.
For an IPA or something in that vein, Cascade is a nice safe go to.

Yup, if you want bitterness you add it early in the boil phase. If you're not boiling your kit (I didn't early on) you're not going to get much in the way of bitterness from it.

Yup, if you want bitterness you add it early in the boil phase. If you're not boiling your kit (I didn't early on) you're not going to get much in the way of bitterness from it.
Wait, you didn't boil?

Wait, you didn't boil?
Doesn’t Coopers make a hopped liquid extract? You only need to get the water hot enough to dissolve the extract if you’re only planning a beer with bittering hops.

Not the method I prefer, but it makes for a short brew day.

Doesn’t Coopers make a hopped liquid extract? You only need to get the water hot enough to dissolve the extract if you’re only planning a beer with bittering hops.

Not the method I prefer, but it makes for a short brew day.
Instant beer.... Good practice for fermentation and sanitation, though.

Yeah, when I did LME batches I just heated it up enough to pour it in one of the big white brew buckets and added water. I did about 8 of those batches if I recall correctly. It worked fine but certainly didn't do anything for variety.

Back