Hello from NZ

philphy

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Nice to be here amongst a whole bunch of fellow brew enthusiasts. I live in NZ although I have been all over the world as a tourist and even lived in China for a while. Anyhow I started brewing beer in NZ as long ago as the early 1980's. More of an economic necesity in those days. We brewed mostly cheap kit beers and we were not too adventurous. I always remember that the beer we made was rarely satisfactory and had a distinctive home brew twang. Into the present and about a year ago I got interested in the hobby again when a good mate purchased some fairly good quailty brewing equipment and much to my surprise started to brew some pretty respectable beers. Anyhow since then I have also gotten back into brewing having aquired a couple of pressure fermenters and an all grain system and have been really pleased with the results. Thursday nights myself and a few buddies congregate around at a mates house where we have tasting sessions and swap brewing tales - that get longer as the night gets darker. One thing I have noticed since returning to the hobby is the sheer breadth and quaility of equipment and ingredients now available compared to what I remember way back when.

Anyhow, great to be here
Cheers
Philphy

Welcome! NZ (Chch) is where I started homebrewing too. :)

Welcome!
Where in NZ are you?
I had family in Auckland and travelled around a couple of times ;)

Welcome to the forum!

So in the 40 some years who are the suppliers and manufactures that are still around? I'm curious if that longevity correlates to quality?

Not sure how many LBSs there were in NZ in the 80s, but in the early 2000s I was buying Muntons, Coopers and BlackRock kits from the LBS in Christchurch.
....and at least Coopers and Muntons were already producing kits (or at least extract) back in the 80s (according to a quick Google search)

Not sure how many LBSs there were in NZ in the 80s, but in the early 2000s I was buying Muntons, Coopers and BlackRock kits from the LBS in Christchurch.
....and at least Coopers and Muntons were already producing kits (or at least extract) back in the 80s (according to a quick Google search)
Their stock standard kit n kilo kits in Aus as well;).
Mangrove Jack do a liquid malt pouch series too I want to try their Cider kits one day.

Back