Maroon & Gold (American Amber Ale)

Hamner Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to get some thoughts on tweaks you would role with. Being a MN kid I want to do something obnoxious. I am shooting for an American amber but with a red/maroon hue to it and a goldish/cream colored head.

I have not brewed with Red X before, so I am guessing at the amount needed to achieve the desired color. The hops were selected based on what I have on hand. However I need to place an order for the Red X, so I'm not stuck on the hops listed. Other info not captured in the picture; 60 minute mash at 151 F, 60 minute boil, US-05 yeast fermented at 65-66 F. I'm also thinking I like the idea of a little lower ABV, maybe closer to 4.5%.

Maroonand Gold brew.JPG

Have you considered a small dry hop addition? Maybe a 1/2 ounce of Centennial for a couple of days? Just to brighten the flavor and aroma a bit. Certainly nothing as extreme as some of the IPA's.

Have you considered a small dry hop addition? Maybe a 1/2 ounce of Centennial for a couple of days? Just to brighten the flavor and aroma a bit. Certainly nothing as extreme as some of the IPA's.

Hadn't really thought of that, however I did contemplate a hop stand while cooling the wort. Still playing around. After researching the Red X a little more, I think Iliff Avenue Brewhouse may be right about over using it. It is stated as a Munich style malt, so I will drop that % down. Thinking Warrior for bittering and Amarillo at flame-out and dry hop.
Newest incarnation:
Maroon and Gold.jpg

If I can hijack this thread, I was considering doing a SMaSH with Red x and cascade because a) I’ve never done a smash and b) I’m interested in how the final product will look and taste like. In researching the interwebs there are varying ideas on what this malt is. I’ve read it’s a combination of malts, so technically this beer maybe wouldn’t be a SMaSH, or that it’s Munich subject to a special kilning process. The Bestmalz website isn’t very helpful.

So, what is everybody’s thoughts on what this malt is and do you think a SMaSH is a good or bad idea. I do prefer strong, malty flavors, so @Iliff Avenue Brewhouse description of “characterful” intrigues me.

If I can hijack this thread, I was considering doing a SMaSH with Red x and cascade because a) I’ve never done a smash and b) I’m interested in how the final product will look and taste like. In researching the interwebs there are varying ideas on what this malt is. I’ve read it’s a combination of malts, so technically this beer maybe wouldn’t be a SMaSH, or that it’s Munich subject to a special kilning process. The Bestmalz website isn’t very helpful.

So, what is everybody’s thoughts on what this malt is and do you think a SMaSH is a good or bad idea. I do prefer strong, malty flavors, so @Iliff Avenue Brewhouse description of “characterful” intrigues me.

I say go for it! To me it's like a more intense munich malt with notes of cherry. It's a very nice malt as long as you make sure to balance it properly with your hops, water, and yeast choice.

I know the maltster recommends using it at 100% to get red. I've only used it once at 100%. My current preference is to split it 50/50 with pilsner malt and add a small amount of carafa to get some color back and I still get a great red color.

Last edited:
Finally brewed this up. Missed my numbers by a ton. SG 1.045 & only 4.5 gallons ended up in the fermenter, resulting in only hitting 50% efficiency. Not sure if the flaked wheat or the Red X played a roll in that, regardless I will have to evaluate my process for today's brew session.

View attachment 13314 It is kegged but still a little flat. Definitely not a ruby color. Tastes alright, maybe more IPAish than Amber ale.
No not very Amber but will still taste good washing down those snackies!:D
The first place I would look is to see if I forgot some of the darker malts. Then go from there.

No not very Amber but will still taste good washing down those snackies!:D
The first place I would look is to see if I forgot some of the darker malts. Then go from there.

Yeah I will have to tweak this one. Crystal 40 was added, but I may need to consider some darker malts next go round.

The glass is part of a flight gift set my wife purchased. Works well for tasting & not pouring an entire pint.

Yeah I will have to tweak this one. Crystal 40 was added, but I may need to consider some darker malts next go round.

The glass is part of a flight gift set my wife purchased. Works well for tasting & not pouring an entire pint.
I like some c70 for that red tint. About 12 to 14srm. Also a touch of roasted barley can give a rich red/amber color.

Back