What else to get?

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Europe soon, and will have the chance to top up on some of my ingredients.
I like Belgian Blondes and Tripels and Blond beers in general.

I got the following malted grains (they are to heavy to take with, so they are a given)
Wheat malt (Walts) 10 kg
Caramalt (Simpson) 3 kg
Pale ale malt (Simpson) 20 kg
Pilsner malt (Walts) 4.5 kg
Lager malt (Wslts) 2.5 kg

Yeast:
I was thinking of getting some kveik, some cider yeast and maybe Mangrove Jack (MJ) 31
Still got
MJ 47 - 1 pack
Lallemand belle saison -1 pack
Fermentis S 33 -2 packs
Fermentis T 58 -1 pack

Hop
I only have Saaz and Hallertau

As far as equipment goes: I'll be picking up a grain mill and a very simple electric maisch kettle.
Pretty much sorted with everything else (hydrometer, refractometer, temp control, biab bag etc)
So really just looking for yeast (dry yeast only) and hops

I can't help you much on the Belgian yeast side if things but if you want to try your hand at kviek Oslo I've herd is pretty neutral.
I love fruity kviek hornindal my fav framgarden is great also.
You cant go past 34/70 if you want to try a blond using it itll tolerate warm ferment and at 18c I've found you can just pitch one pack at respectable OG wort.
Hey you can also use it on cider too.

I really like the T-58 and the Belle Saison yeasts. Another yeast in that same family that I like is the Safale BE-256. Good for Belgians Tripels and other high gravity Belgians.

I'll have a look at the BE 256.
Is it very different from the Mangrove Jack M47? As both of them are "abbaye" yeasts?
Another one of the styles I like is the Belgian Pale Ale. I would have classified that as a Blonde, but apparently it's a different style ;)
And hops?
Am I OK with the saaz and hallertau? Or should I get some different ones?
Just as a clarification... We got no homebrew shops here, not physicsl shops, not online shops, so I'll need to stock up for an extended period

Tettnanger - spalt - pearl- these will all go well for you in them styles
Dingerman pilsner malt

Thanks!
Esp for the mention of tettnanger. That sort of made things click as I was sure I had some.
So, I decided to do a physical check and I got a bit more thsn I thought :)

I indeed have a little bit of tettnanger
And Fuggles and Cascade.
Plus the ones mentioned in my original post.
As far as yeast goes, again I got the ones originally mentioned plus MJ M29 - French saison and MJ M31 Belgian tripel.

Any purchase of malt will have to wait till the borders open for car-travel. I'll then try to get some more malt. For now, I got to deal with what I got in stock

I'll have a look at the BE 256.
Is it very different from the Mangrove Jack M47? As both of them are "abbaye" yeasts?
Another one of the styles I like is the Belgian Pale Ale. I would have classified that as a Blonde, but apparently it's a different style ;)
And hops?
Am I OK with the saaz and hallertau? Or should I get some different ones?
Just as a clarification... We got no homebrew shops here, not physicsl shops, not online shops, so I'll need to stock up for an extended period
The BE-256 is similar to the M-47. It seems to be more readily available for me over here in Louisiana.

And the Belgian Pale Ale may be my favorite style. I have made it using both the T-58 and the BE-256. Both came out well.

I've been reading a bit more about beer styles and thinking that maybe I should try and exoand my horizon (somewhat).
So additional question:
Considering my base malts:
What other styles could I make without buying too much extra (specialty malts/hop/yeast)
Nothing too dark or too bitter
Thinking maybe Irish red, kolsch,....
Any adfitional suggestions?
Needs to be quite small amounts, weight wise, as it comes back to me by plane (and I am already carrying a grain mill and a maisch kettle)

I've been reading a bit more about beer styles and thinking that maybe I should try and exoand my horizon (somewhat).
So additional question:
Considering my base malts:
What other styles could I make without buying too much extra (specialty malts/hop/yeast)
Nothing too dark or too bitter
Thinking maybe Irish red, kolsch,....
Any adfitional suggestions?
Needs to be quite small amounts, weight wise, as it comes back to me by plane (and I am already carrying a grain mill and a maisch kettle)
Irish Red is a good choice, requires some fermentation control (keep relatively cool). Start by adding a different grain, say Crystal or Munich, to your basic pale ale recipe. Mix up the hops. Make a Stout: Done well, while dark, they're very drinkable.

Back