Pairing other hops with Citra?

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to make a grapefruit-forward IPA for holiday company (assuming there is company). I enjoy a good IPA as much as the next guy, but I don't brew them often. No matter, I have a bunch of Citra laying around and what a great way to get rid of some!

Now I could just go all-in with Citra, but my experience with it tells me that while it's an incredibly tasty and aromatic hop, it can be a bit one-dimensional and over-the-top on the grapefruit. I'm thinking it might work better with a dancing partner!

My grain bill will be 2-Row, Munich and a bit of Crystal.
WY-1450.

I'll probably bitter with Columbus. BU:GU in the .9 range or so.

I plan on using Citra late in the boil, a dry hop in the fermenter and probably a small charge in the keg at packaging.

Hops that I have that might make a decent pairing with Citra:
Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Lemondrop
Motueka
Mosaic
Nelson Sauvin

Given the above choices, what hop(s) would you use to pair with Citra for a grapefruit-forward IPA? Or would you just use Citra only?

Thanks in advance.

I just tapped a keg of an APA where I used Citra and Lemondrop for a 5 day dry hop. It turned out very well.

From your list I have used the following with Citra, but I don't go for the truly grapefruit forward flavor.
Not a big single hop guy, I tend to use a minimum of 3 varieties, usually more.
Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Mosaic
Not on your list that I like together with Citra is Simcoe.
Have never bittered with Columbus, or used it period for that matter, I typically bitter with Magnum.

Nelson is a lot more blackcurrant, so not that, but I used Amarillo in a NEIPA with Citra (and Galaxy) earlier this month. It wasn't super-dry hopped, but came out more Apricot/peach than grapefruit, That could have been the Verdant IPA yeast though.

Maybe Cascade? It's fresh and has that kind of flavour to it.

I use Citra in blends that tend toward the fruit side, so I've no experience trying to hit that grapefruit side. From your list I'd try the Cascade or Chinook as I've used the others in blends giving fruit or white wine flavours.

From your list I have used the following with Citra, but I don't go for the truly grapefruit forward flavor.
Not a big single hop guy, I tend to use a minimum of 3 varieties, usually more.
Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Chinook
Mosaic
Not on your list that I like together with Citra is Simcoe.
Have never bittered with Columbus, or used it period for that matter, I typically bitter with Magnum.
I'm with @Craigerrr on this one^^^..
If you want big, dank NW style (yes, please! :) ) use plenty of Centennial, a pinch of Chinook, plenty of Simcoe and Amarillo and load up with Citra in the whirlpool.
If you want more middle of the road, Use Centennial and Cascade and don't overdo the Citra.
if you want lush tropical with huge grapefruit/pineapple, use plenty of Simcoe late and a lot of Mosaic along with the Citra in the whirlpool.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, Simcoe is not an option so that's out.

Before I started this, I was leaning to something along these lines:

3 gallons into fermenter, 2.5 into the keg.
Bitter to around 55 IBU's. (.9 BU:GU)

(x)Mosaic, (x)Amarillo and (2x)Citra at flameout/whirlpool.
(x)Mosaic and (x)Citra Dry Hop towards end of fermentation.
(.5x)Citra Cold Dry Hop in the keg at packaging.

The (x) value hasn't been determined yet. Maybe .5oz.

Why not make an actual grapefruit IPA? I added zest with dry hops to a recent ipa and it turned out great.

Why not make an actual grapefruit IPA? I added zest with dry hops to a recent ipa and it turned out great.
Interesting. So you zested a grapefruit and tossed it in with dry hops after enough protective alcohol had been created?

Did you do anything specific to “sanitize” the zest?

Interesting. So you zested a grapefruit and tossed it in with dry hops after enough protective alcohol had been created?

Did you do anything specific to “sanitize” the zest?

nope. I rarely do when adding ingredients post fermentation

looking at my notes it was actually zest of one orange and one grapefruit. I puréed and added the fruit at well

Warms my heart to see so many using Citra with Mosaic and Amarillo. One of my favorites. Columbus works for me as a bittering hop when using these hops after 30 minutes into the boil. A bit of Cascade late in the boil or in the dry hop mix seems to calm the overpowering tropical flavors of these hops.

You can get grapefruit notes from bitters as well as fresh hops.

in any case I get huge grapefruit foward aroma and taste from a citra, cascade, anf chinnok dry hop combo. I use this combo in some of my NE IPA for grapefruit flavors. Whirlpool additions as well as dry hop

The later you use Amarillo, the more that grapefruit comes out. Every hop tastes different depending on where in the Hop Schedule you use it.

I have used Amarillo late, and whirlpool and it came out with a lot of that flavouring you're looking for!

Back