drank a bud after 15 years....

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
so i got a sixpack of budweiser from a friend today
last time i drank this was 15 years ago just to try it.
damn this stuff is horrible,how can this be the best selling beer?
seriously.
even our carling black label nonsense is better than this
i dont understand,really.
no man,is marketing so good?
i am stumped,i cannot fathom how this watered ,tasteless,bottom of the pit liquid can pass as a beer.
am i missing something?
apologies to bud fans on this forum,but seriously.

Everybody's tastes are different. I don't mind nice cold Bud and will gladly take one if offered.

so i got a sixpack of budweiser from a friend today
last time i drank this was 15 years ago just to try it.
damn this stuff is horrible,how can this be the best selling beer?
seriously.
even our carling black label nonsense is better than this
i dont understand,really.
no man,is marketing so good?
i am stumped,i cannot fathom how this watered ,tasteless,bottom of the pit liquid can pass as a beer.
am i missing something?
apologies to bud fans on this forum,but seriously.
No Bud fan here.... Someone handed me a Miller at a party a while back and I couldn't get past the DMS. Bud's signature flaw is acetaldehyde. And yes, it's the triumph of marketing over taste.

Depends what you are looking for.

Ice cold (32 degrees) on a hot day, instead of a carbonated water, it can be refreshing.

40 degrees as a gastronomic event, not so much.

Yes, marketing is how stuff gets bought.

Bud has a big red apple flavor to it, Bud light is even worse. The apple flavor is often mistaken for acetaldehyde, which is more like green apple. But Mitch Steele, Stone's head brewer got his start at Anheuser-Busch and said they regularly check for it and it was never found it in any quantity. The apple flavor is a common ester from their yeast and in Bud it's really strong, it's not very pleasant to me. Pabst has it too, but much lower and barely noticeable. To me Pabst is a way better beer than Bud.

I make an American Lager with German yeast to get rid of that ester. I really like a clean American lager but I know it's not for everyone. The apple I can do without.

Not a budweiser fan either.....
But if there is nothing else, and if it is ice-cold, and the weather very hot......
I will drink it ;)

I don't mind Bud. As far as American Pale Lagers it's far from the bottom of my list. I think for many it's really a matter of familiarity and what you grew up with. I think Buds distinctiveness helps there. For me anyways if you give me a Bud in a glass I can tell it's a Bud on the first sip, can't say that with every pale lager. Growing up in the Buffalo area the first beers I was really exposed to are Genesee (not be confused with their well known cream ale) and Labbatt Blue. Some might poo-poo that but that's what I like. To this day whatever craft beer or home brew I have in the fridge I still typically keep a 30 pack of either Labbatt, Genny or Genny Cream around too. If I feel like changing it up Budweiser would typically be my next choice. Yeungling and PBR would be my next tier down. I really don't have any use for any other mass produced American lager. It's all about what you like.

I haven’t had a bud/miller etc in a few years but I always preferred Miller lite to bud or bud light. I liked “high test” bud over bud light.

I actually had a can of MGD not too long back. Was on sale here at Aldi.....I assume it was imported but am not sure. Either way, I was expecting to puke, having a vague memory of it being really horrid the last time I had it...somewhere between 15 and 20 years ago.
It wasn't as bad as I remember, and if was free/only-beer on a hot day I would drink one, but there is definitely no way I would otherwise willingly pay for it again.

I actually had a can of MGD not too long back. Was on sale here at Aldi.....I assume it was imported but am not sure. Either way, I was expecting to puke, having a vague memory of it being really horrid the last time I had it...somewhere between 15 and 20 years ago.
It wasn't as bad as I remember, and if was free/only-beer on a hot day I would drink one, but there is definitely no way I would otherwise willingly pay for it again.
Not a fan of MGD but I will drink High Life if someone offers it to me

I don't mind Bud. As far as American Pale Lagers it's far from the bottom of my list. I think for many it's really a matter of familiarity and what you grew up with. I think Buds distinctiveness helps there. For me anyways if you give me a Bud in a glass I can tell it's a Bud on the first sip, can't say that with every pale lager. Growing up in the Buffalo area the first beers I was really exposed to are Genesee (not be confused with their well known cream ale) and Labbatt Blue. Some might poo-poo that but that's what I like. To this day whatever craft beer or home brew I have in the fridge I still typically keep a 30 pack of either Labbatt, Genny or Genny Cream around too. If I feel like changing it up Budweiser would typically be my next choice. Yeungling and PBR would be my next tier down. I really don't have any use for any other mass produced American lager. It's all about what you like.
Big fan of Genny Cream, and 12 Horse Ale. Though I don't think 12 Horse is brewed regularly anymore. Shame.

Big fan of Genny Cream, and 12 Horse Ale. Though I don't think 12 Horse is brewed regularly anymore. Shame.
Just talked to our sales rep for our beer distributor. Told me they just got 12 Horse in the warehouse last week. Estimates their stock will last a month. Not sure what their distribution looks like outside the WNY market though. I know that they also brew it in small batches throughout the year for their brew house though.

My first ever beer was a Bud, I didn't drink again for 2 years afterward.

The worst beer I've ever tasted however is Miller High Life. I have no idea what they do to that but it is vile.
You drink it out of the clear bottles? Like it better from a can

It was a can. A buddy bought a case of it. I have no idea what it is about but it was overpoweringly strong in flavour and not a pleasant flavour.

It was a can. A buddy bought a case of it. I have no idea what it is about but it was overpoweringly strong in flavour and not a pleasant flavour.
Haven't had one in probably 2-3 years so couldn't tell you

Just talked to our sales rep for our beer distributor. Told me they just got 12 Horse in the warehouse last week. Estimates their stock will last a month. Not sure what their distribution looks like outside the WNY market though. I know that they also brew it in small batches throughout the year for their brew house though.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely be on the lookout here in NEPA.

Where about a in PA?
Also try Wegmans that's where I typically find it
Just East of Scranton. Think where I81, 380 and 84 converge.
Lots of Genny Nationalists around here.

Back