Bottle from Keg instead of Bucket?

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of brews in the works that will be bottle conditioned. Thinking about using a keg as a bottling bucket, and using 2 or 3 PSI of Co2 to move the beer to the bottles. I would add priming sugar solution to a previously Co2 purged keg, then drain from fermenter to keg. Connect a bottling wand to the liquid post, then connect Co2 at low pressure.
Sound feasible?

I have a couple of brews in the works that will be bottle conditioned. Thinking about using a keg as a bottling bucket, and using 2 or 3 PSI of Co2 to move the beer to the bottles. I would add priming sugar solution to a previously Co2 purged keg, then drain from fermenter to keg. Connect a bottling wand to the liquid post, then connect Co2 at low pressure.
Sound feasible?
Bloody oath it does.

That's how I bottle beer. I don't do it very often, but I do bottle condition Belgian beers. I add the priming sugar to a purged keg and I transfer the beer to the keg like I normally do. I then use a Blichmann gun to purge and fill the bottles. It helps to avoid oxygen and I like that method better than a bottle bucket.

Mash King has a stainless steel bottle filling wand, sounds like it has a pretty good shut off, it may even be a more positive shut off with a few PSI's of Co2 behind it. Might have to get Barb to help me by purging the bottles prior to filling.

Why not just condition in the keg with the priming sugar?
I popped the top on a Belgian Triple keg once and I tried to finish it in one sitting, but it got ugly. I think I soiled myself in the process.

All kidding aside, you could do that. But I try to get the Belgian beer to +4 volumes and it’s really hard to do in a keg. The other reason is to set the bottles on the shelf and let them age. I get a couple years out of a Triple.

I popped the top on a Belgian Triple keg once and I tried to finish it in one sitting, but it got ugly. I think I soiled myself in the process.

All kidding aside, you could do that. But I try to get the Belgian beer to +4 volumes and it’s really hard to do in a keg. The other reason is to set the bottles on the shelf and let them age. I get a couple years out of a Triple.
At the LHBS, they suggested putting a length (they weren't specific) of that star-shaped weed eater line in the beer line to increase the resistance (and decrease the foam). Haven't tried it yet.

Why not just condition in the keg with the priming sugar?

I do that sometimes, right now I'm mulling over a totally overcomplicated and probably pointless way to ferment THEN prime in the all rounder, using reclaimed CO2 to bottle pressurized with sanitizer and an air pump to bottle after it's conditioned without fermenting under pressure.

It will probably be WAY over engineered and may not work that well.

I do that sometimes, right now I'm mulling over a totally overcomplicated and probably pointless way to ferment THEN prime in the all rounder, using reclaimed CO2 to bottle pressurized with sanitizer and an air pump to bottle after it's conditioned without fermenting under pressure.

It will probably be WAY over engineered and may not work that well.
Haha, that's why we homebrew isn't it?!

As I am getting ready to bottle two batches, I am going back and forth between leaving them in the kegs where they are essentially sitting in secondary, and carbing them up there. I want to save some to compare to next years brew of the same two recipes (cranberry chocolate stout, and cinnamon ginger Christmas ale). Lying awake in bed this morning it hit me! do both!
I think I will rack off 12 bottles of each, and then hook up the Co2 to the remainder! Why didn't I think of this sooner?
I will just have to be very precise with the correct amount of sugar per bottle.
In doing this I will very shortly have 4 kegs flowing. I will set those 12 bottles of each off to the side until December 2021.
That is if there is a December 2021! If 2021 is anything like 2020, I think we should just launch all of the nukes and let the planet start over.
Okay, maybe not.

As I am getting ready to bottle two batches, I am going back and forth between leaving them in the kegs where they are essentially sitting in secondary, and carbing them up there. I want to save some to compare to next years brew of the same two recipes (cranberry chocolate stout, and cinnamon ginger Christmas ale). Lying awake in bed this morning it hit me! do both!
I think I will rack off 12 bottles of each, and then hook up the Co2 to the remainder! Why didn't I think of this sooner?
I will just have to be very precise with the correct amount of sugar per bottle.
In doing this I will very shortly have 4 kegs flowing. I will set those 12 bottles of each off to the side until December 2021.
That is if there is a December 2021! If 2021 is anything like 2020, I think we should just launch all of the nukes and let the planet start over.
Okay, maybe not.
Genius! Don't sneak any of the bottles beer until 2021, that will be the hardest part.

Genius! Don't sneak any of the bottles beer until 2021, that will be the hardest part.
I have been brewing long enough that I have the patience.
Still have two left from last year on the Bloody Finger, and one of the Christmas Ale!

At the LHBS, they suggested putting a length (they weren't specific) of that star-shaped weed eater line in the beer line to increase the resistance (and decrease the foam). Haven't tried it yet.

That does work.

Back