CinnaBun Stout

Brewer #336978

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers! My friends and I wrapped up another big brew day. I had a question regarding secondary fermentation. I brewed a cinnabun sweet stout and I’m adding cinnamon and vanilla bean in the secondary approx 5 days after going in the fermenter. My question is approx how long is a good time for it to chill in the secondary before bottling? My OG was 1.060 and I brew yield was 6.5 gallons. This was an all grain brew as well. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Hello fellow brewers! My friends and I wrapped up another big brew day. I had a question regarding secondary fermentation. I brewed a cinnabun sweet stout and I’m adding cinnamon and vanilla bean in the secondary approx 5 days after going in the fermenter. My question is approx how long is a good time for it to chill in the secondary before bottling? My OG was 1.060 and I brew yield was 6.5 gallons. This was an all grain brew as well. Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Until it's good? There aren't absolute schedules for most things brewing, particularly fermentation. Let it chill until it's relatively clear and by chill, I hope you mean at or near primary fermentation temperatures. "Secondary" is for two things, cleaning up off-flavors and clarifying the beer. I generally won't go under a week in secondary for my Ales for a two-week total fermentation. Often I wait longer.

I hope you added some lactose to that recipe for that touch of sugar-sweetness that won't ferment out. I make homemade cinnamon rolls, key to their flavor is the cinnamon used (of course), the vanilla in the icing and the sweet bread flavor, hence my lactose question... Doing it in a stout - like a cinnamon roll with coffee. Nice touch!

Yep I'd add them as soon as fermentation is done like a dry hop left it hang out for maybe 3 or more days until gravity is stable then package. I'd do all this in the one fermentation vessal too mind you any oxygen exposure post ferment might actually be muting them fine vanilla and cinnamon flavours your looking for in such a strong roasty flavoured beer.
Look forward to laying my eyes on this masterpiece;).

Until it's good? There aren't absolute schedules for most things brewing, particularly fermentation. Let it chill until it's relatively clear and by chill, I hope you mean at or near primary fermentation temperatures. "Secondary" is for two things, cleaning up off-flavors and clarifying the beer. I generally won't go under a week in secondary for my Ales for a two-week total fermentation. Often I wait longer.

I hope you added some lactose to that recipe for that touch of sugar-sweetness that won't ferment out. I make homemade cinnamon rolls, key to their flavor is the cinnamon used (of course), the vanilla in the icing and the sweet bread flavor, hence my lactose question... Doing it in a stout - like a cinnamon roll with coffee. Nice touch!

Sounds good. I appreciate the heads up. I added plenty of lactose and its been chillin in my closet at a cool 70 for about 6 days. I'm not too worried about clarity since it is a stout and clarity came out well with little trub. I also used quality yeast. I am thinking of just popping my cinnamon and vanilla in the primary vessel and skip the secondary transfer.

Yep I'd add them as soon as fermentation is done like a dry hop left it hang out for maybe 3 or more days until gravity is stable then package. I'd do all this in the one fermentation vessal too mind you any oxygen exposure post ferment might actually be muting them fine vanilla and cinnamon flavours your looking for in such a strong roasty flavoured beer.
Look forward to laying my eyes on this masterpiece;).

Thanks for the advice man. I was thinking of keeping it in the primary as well as just toss in the tinctures. I can't wait to try it. The smell was intoxicating with those cinnabuns I added to the mash.

Sounds good. I appreciate the heads up. I added plenty of lactose and its been chillin in my closet at a cool 70 for about 6 days. I'm not too worried about clarity since it is a stout and clarity came out well with little trub. I also used quality yeast. I am thinking of just popping my cinnamon and vanilla in the primary vessel and skip the secondary transfer.
Sounds like a plan.

Back