Buying used equipment

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Found an ad on craigslist for homebrew equipment and set up a meeting to check it out tomorrow. I'll be looking specifically at the kettle, mash tun, and maybe the temp controller.

My question is, what do I need to know about inspecting used equipment? I was thinking I need to examine all the welded fittings, test out the valves, check for scratches/scorches, examine the thickness of the bottom of the kettles. Anything else I should know about purchasing used equipment?

Here's a pic of the kettles and stand, and a link to the post. Anything about this ad scream red flags?

Thanks so much, y'all are the best :)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/d/santa-rosa-beer-making-gear/7212322160.html

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201013-070208_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201013-070208_Chrome.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 86
Kettles are far too small. And they look thin - hard to tell for sure but it looks like the (ugly) weld on the lower pot has deformed the side.
Everything else looks okay for the price but don't even waste your time on those kettles.

Kettles are far too small. And they look thin - hard to tell for sure but it looks like the (ugly) weld on the lower pot has deformed the side.
Everything else looks okay for the price but don't even waste your time on those kettles.
Good to know, thank you!

Reactions: J A
Yeah..small pots are ok if you are going to keep making small batches. Be cautious of any plastic as scratched plastic can hold nasties. Ask to see the burners in action and they look to be selling used stuff for new prices.

Yeah..small pots are ok if you are going to keep making small batches. Be cautious of any plastic as scratched plastic can hold nasties. Ask to see the burners in action and they look to be selling used stuff for new prices.
Thanks for the advice! I'm so glad I asked the forum for help first

Echo above pots are small twice the size I'd go have a look.

Eh... if you can get em cheap and you are planning to stay with small batches I would say go for it. But yeah if they want real money don't waste your time.

Decided not to purchase anything this time. Thanks so much for the input everyone!

That is not a bad idea. You don't need to rush into anything. I got most of my first years kit for free from people who were getting out of brewing.
Surprising how many people lose interest quickly.

That is not a bad idea. You don't need to rush into anything. I got most of my first years kit for free from people who were getting out of brewing.
Surprising how many people lose interest quickly.

You should get used stuff for half price or less. Look up comparable kettles or gear new for a starting point. Stainless steel anything is getting more expensive so even at half price seller is getting better than half of what they payed for it.

Back