Coconut sugar...yay or nay?

The Green Man

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello brewing brethren. I hope you are all well. I have been reading the odd post about Coconut Stout. I found this coconut sugar in the supermarket and thought of the possibilities of using 250g to dry out an Oatmeal stout/porter.
Recipe is below:
<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1061106" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Do any of you guys have any experience using this coconut sugar? The packet says it adds a buttery and caramel flavour...not sure how much butter to how much caramel once it is fermented and chewed up by the yeasties. In this case S05. Not so keen on butter but caramel sounds all good,

Any feedback regarding the recipe is all good too.

Just to clarify this seems to be also called Coconut Palm Sugar.

Hello brewing brethren. I hope you are all well. I have been reading the odd post about Coconut Stout. I found this coconut sugar in the supermarket and thought of the possibilities of using 250g to dry out an Oatmeal stout/porter.
Recipe is below:
<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1061106" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Do any of you guys have any experience using this coconut sugar? The packet says it adds a buttery and caramel flavour...not sure how much butter to how much caramel once it is fermented and chewed up by the yeasties. In this case S05. Not so keen on butter but caramel sounds all good,

Any feedback regarding the recipe is all good too.
Hate to throw the wet blanket but at that level, I'd imagine the coconut sugar is a very expensive way to thin your beer's body. I haven't tasted it in a while, I don't remember it being that intense of a flavor. The flavors are the coconut equivalent of molasses, the yeast won't touch the "butter and caramel", they're only interested in the sugar so whatever is there will stay. Taste the sugar and determine if it's a flavor you want and estimate if the flavor will make it through to the finished beer with enough intensity to affect the final flavor. S05 is neutral so you shouldn't have a bunch of fermentation character covering it up.... Brew it, but then ask some unwitting subject to tell you if they taste anything in it - you'd be surprised how your knowledge of it being there can convince you that you can taste it.

Cheers NosyBear. So at that amount it won't affect a great deal.
Might well do a taste test as you suggest and try it first before letting it loose on my wort.
May well add another 250g of plain cane sugar to dry it out.

Cheers NosyBear. So at that amount it won't affect a great deal.
Might well do as you suggest and try it first.
May well add another 250g of plain cane sugar to dry it out.

Back