gas or electric stove when mashing/boiling

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi guys,im looking to upgrade to maybe a plain gas tank to do my boiling/mashing.
i am currently using electric stovetop to accomplish the mash,and boil.
not very effective,and concerned im burning out the stove elelments while keeping at full heat for a hour.
how better would the gas tank with a cooker top be ,efficiency and budget wise?
would i be saving on electtricty compared to the gas usage and is mashing a efficient way to do it on the gas burner?
i used to mash in the cooler box and strain,then heat up the electric stove to boil.

Depending on your kettle set up, an induction burner may be a good choice for you. I'd choose one over gas/propane any day.

i have a aluminium pot 11liters.
gas burner in my budget

hi guys,im looking to upgrade to maybe a plain gas tank to do my boiling/mashing.
i am currently using electric stovetop to accomplish the mash,and boil.
not very effective,and concerned im burning out the stove elelments while keeping at full heat for a hour.
how better would the gas tank with a cooker top be ,efficiency and budget wise?
would i be saving on electtricty compared to the gas usage and is mashing a efficient way to do it on the gas burner?
i used to mash in the cooler box and strain,then heat up the electric stove to boil.
I use induction. I'll go back if the power grid and our solar panels fail completely and irreparably. A 220V induction element delivers 3500 watts directly to the bottom of the pot, far more efficient than propane, brings 8 gallons of wort to a boil in less than 30 minutes. If you're generating the electricity using sunlight on the roof, virtually free. No tanks to fill, no running out in the middle of a boil, no wind to fight, I can boil in my basement.... What's not to like?

Yeah, the major disadvantage to propane is that you really need a well-ventilated space, as you are using SO much more gas than, say, a pot of spaghetti. But in many parts of the world propane is cheaper than electricity per BTU (assuming bulk propane, not a 20 lb BBQ tank)

I use induction. I'll go back if the power grid and our solar panels fail completely and irreparably. A 220V induction element delivers 3500 watts directly to the bottom of the pot, far more efficient than propane, brings 8 gallons of wort to a boil in less than 30 minutes. If you're generating the electricity using sunlight on the roof, virtually free. No tanks to fill, no running out in the middle of a boil, no wind to fight, I can boil in my basement.... What's not to like?
ok,im small,small scale.
i create max 2gal of brew.
lets keep it on my scale please

ok,im small,small scale.
And I create 5.
For all that, go buy a used electric stove, wire it up and leave the kitchen one alone. 2 Gallons is like a pot of pasta, propane would be overkill.

(well, a HUGE magnifying glass would be overkill. But that limits you to brewing only on sunny days...;-)

Yeah, the major disadvantage to propane is that you really need a well-ventilated space, as you are using SO much more gas than, say, a pot of spaghetti. But in many parts of the world propane is cheaper than electricity per BTU (assuming bulk propane, not a 20 lb BBQ tank)
huh?

ok,im small,small scale.
1100 watts, 120 volts.... I have one of those, too, for small brews and heating other stuff while brewing.

He mentioned aluminum so induction is out. At 2 Gallon volumes either will work and if you are doing it indoors electric will be simpler and safer.

He could still use induction if he got one of those stainless steel plates - I have one for heating my Ehrlenmeyer flasks on the induction setup.

Oh yeah I never thought about that. That could work. Where does one get one of those stainless plates now that we're talking about it?

Oh yeah I never thought about that. That could work. Where does one get one of those stainless plates now that we're talking about it?
I got mine from Amazon. And I believe my secondary unit is 1800 watt.

Didn't know that was a thing till now, I have an induction unit I haven't been using.

My sparge pot is electric I removed the element out of the kettle and cut a hole in the pot used the silicon gasket that come with the jug and hey presto you have a crude boiler.
Couple this with a Power Watt Meter you have yourself a mini all in one brew rig;). I can post photos this arvo when I'm home if ya want ?:rolleyes:

I know I want to see it.

I know I want to see it.
20201003_080030.jpg

It's currently In use as baby bottle sterilizer but I'll be pinching it for some sparge water today.
20201003_075841.jpg

Yes wiring is exposed I've gotta make that safer:rolleyes: anywho there a ghetto boil pot.

PWMeter ontop of laundry powder.;)

well,i bought a LPG tank,brewed up a pilsner.
Boiloff was way better than my electric stove,almost spoton with the recipe.
Pretty happy with the results

Ok that's largely what Iw as picturing Ben. I like the idea.

Nice work Rudi, I find Propane gives me better heat but it's harder to control.

Ok that's largely what Iw as picturing Ben. I like the idea.

Nice work Rudi, I find Propane gives me better heat but it's harder to control.
Yeah I would say your boil off will be about twice that of electric depending of course on wattage.

Back