Noob Cider Question

56 Firedome

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'll be making my 1st Cider this week end & have question regarding the definition of a term used in the recipe. So, what does ""Degas" mean? As in "Degas the must before adding the Yeast Nutrients". It seems to be stirring. If so, that pretty much means to Ferment in a Bucket rather than a carboy.
Thanks for any help.

Put a paint stirrer on your drill and whip the s*** out of it. Alternatively, they make a tool with two blades that does the job.

I've never degassed any of my ciders. If the degassing is to prevent an eruption when adding powdered nutrients during active fermentation, mixing the powder(s) with a bit of sterile water would accomplish the same thing. I always add nutrients before the onset of fermentation, so don't need to worry about this.

Put a paint stirrer on your drill and whip the s*** out of it. Alternatively, they make a tool with two blades that does the job.
That's pretty much what I thought. Got the Drill, got the Paint Stirrer, got the bucket. So, OK.
Any suggestions for Yeast? Recipe suggests Lalvin 71-B & SafLager S-23.

That's pretty much what I thought. Got the Drill, got the Paint Stirrer, got the bucket. So, OK.
No suggestions, we degas wine. Barring better information, I'd go with the recipe recommendations.

I've used S04 and US05, both seemed to be perfectly happy, pitching some today and it will likely be US05 because that's what I have most of. I'm nobodies idea of a cider guru though :)

My neighbor and I have been doing side-by-sides with pulp from the local orchard and various yeasts. He’s settled on champagne yeast or cote des blancs (very dry with no apple flavor) and I’ve settled on Nottingham at 62 for 8-10 weeks (dry and clear but with apple flavors). I have not tried anything comparable to the yeasts recommended in your recipe. A lot depends on the aroma and whether you will back-sweeten/leave residual sugars. I have never degassed cider in the fermenter. Good luck and interested in your results.

For the last few years I've used Lalvin EC-1118 at 66F exclusively with great results. Prior to that I used Red Star Montrachet with similar results. Switched because I got tired of smelling the Rhino fart aroma it produced during fermentation.

For the last few years I've used Lalvin EC-1118 at 66F exclusively with great results. Prior to that I used Red Star Montrachet with similar results. Switched because I got tired of smelling the Rhino fart aroma it produced during fermentation.

Thanks BOB357
Cider is in fermenor. Pitched Lalvin 71B - 1112. @ for 45 - 50 F per Recipe. 6 hrs later no action. Went to Lalvin website & finally located 71B. Fermentation temp was listed at 59 -86 F. I bumped temp up to 58 F. I'll check again tomorrow.
Thanks

Well 11 hrs later @ 58 F still no activity. I'm moving fermenter out of kegerator & on to the floor. I'll set it on a Heat Plate set to 66 F. Hopefully I'll see some activity.
Updates to follow.

Well 11 hrs later @ 58 F still no activity. I'm moving fermenter out of kegerator & on to the floor. I'll set it on a Heat Plate set to 66 F. Hopefully I'll see some activity.
Updates to follow.

Cider is usually a slower start than beer, so give it some time. Also, you may not get any Krausen and the activity can be subdued enough that the only sigh of early fermentation are very small bubbles rising.

That will be hard to determine as I am fermenting in a bucket. If the air lock isn't bubbling I have to open the lid. So far no activity to see. I'll observe temp increase to see how it goes.
Thanks.

This is normal. I also work the low end of the yeasts temp range. Expect a very slow start (compared to wort) with a much lower bubble rate working over a longer period of time.

Bob357 & Hundel thanks for the reassurance. 24 hrs ago I moved the bucket to a heat plate & set temp control to 66 F. Soon after temp was reached I saw the 1st bubble in the airlock. Woo Hoo!
This morning I see a steady flow of bubbles. I also noticed the temp in the bucket is 82 F. Since no ferment temp info was provided in the recipe, the Lalvin package had reconstitute temp but nothing else, I had never used a wine yeast before, I was hoping the Brewers Friend Forum could help out. Indeed my confidence was justified.
Now that Fermentation is underway & temperature rising on its own, I'm wondering if I should be controlling the ongoing Fermentation Temperature.
Any input would be appreciated.

2 Days later & the Air Lock has slowed to a bubble every 20 sec or so. Temp has dropped to 74 F. Stirred (Degased) & added Yeast Nutrients. Air Lock shows action & temp is from Fermentation. Expecting increased Temp & Air Lock activity to increase. We'll See.

If you let the temp raise now that will encourage full attenuation from the yeast. Looks like its tracking along just fine

If you let the temp raise now that will encourage full attenuation from the yeast. Looks like its tracking along just fine

Sorry should have mentioned SG at Degas was 1.004 @ 74 F. Recipe shows the FG should be .998. Currently on day 5.

Sorry should have mentioned SG at Degas was 1.004 @ 74 F. Recipe shows the FG should be .998. Currently on day 5.
Mate that's pretty low I wouldnt get too hung up on it give it another day or two take a reading if the same package;)

My cider has been much better when left alone for a month or more after fermentation was complete. Now whether that happens in the fermenter or in a bottle (or both) is an open question.

Back