pilsen reached 1.010 in 70hrs?

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi i brewed a pilsen saturday afternoon that was spot on with OG of 1.044.
Final gravity should be 1.008
it was pretty busy airlock activity 3 hours into fermentation and subsided this monday morning.
its monday evening now , i took a reading and it was 1.010.
is that a bit quick,normal?
im used to letting my brews ferment about 10 days.
i realise i should check to see if final gravity stays constant after two days reached.

just concerned it got to that reading so quick.

What yeast did you use and what temp did you ferment at? I don't believe what you witnessed is that unusual.

What yeast did you use and what temp did you ferment at? I don't believe what you witnessed is that unusual.
its a yeast slurry from a previous batch i brewed.
original yeast pitched was safale 33.
added a cup of the slurry to a 10l batch i brewed this saturday.
ferment temp was 22degC

That seems reasonable to me.

ferment temp was 22degC
I was thinking you were using a Pilsner yeast. It's fine. At that temperature and pitch rate, it would be concerning if it had taken longer.

ferment temp was 22degC
Is it S-33 or S-23? I always mix them up when I'm typing or labeling. If it's S-33, that yeast is fast as hell, anyway, and at that temp, I'm surprised it didn't get done virtually overnight. If you've mis-typed and it's S-23, that yeast isn't usually as fast as S-33 but that's a huge pitch for the amount of beer and, again, at that temp, any yeast is going to go nuts.
The beer will be quite fine but with either yeast, it's going to be very fruity like a blonde ale rather than clean and malty like a pilsner. Although, it you did use S-23, it can make a nice kolsch-like beer at high temps like that.

Is it S-33 or S-23? I always mix them up when I'm typing or labeling. If it's S-33, that yeast is fast as hell, anyway, and at that temp, I'm surprised it didn't get done virtually overnight. If you've mis-typed and it's S-23, that yeast isn't usually as fast as S-33 but that's a huge pitch for the amount of beer and, again, at that temp, any yeast is going to go nuts.
I gotta question the yeast also as I've never gotten a beer fermented with S-33 down that low.

Reactions: J A
The beer will be quite fine but with either yeast, it's going to be very fruity like a blonde ale rather than clean and malty like a pilsner. Although, it you did use S-23, it can make a nice kolsch-like beer at high temps like that.
if its very fruity im actually looking forward to that

Reactions: J A
Hi yes i just double checked,it was safale 33.
the temps are 22deg Celcius,hey

Did a reading tonight,hovering between 1.0010 and 1.009

Hi yes i just double checked,it was safale 33.
the temps are 22deg Celcius,hey
When I've used S-33 I've held the temp a little lower at first and seen attenuation percentage in the low 70s within 24 hours or so. Part of it's habit is that because it flocculates very well, it tends to clump and drop as soon as it slows down and sometimes that's before full attenuation. With your higher temp and huge pitch, it went all the way before it stalled and dropped.

Back