question concerning catalog and EBC

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,so im preparing a recipe.
the malt i have will say"black malt 500g EBC 1000"
how do i select the appropriate fermentable when theres no item like that popping up?
do i select a fermentable close to my stated EBC?
the store online doesnt provide any other info on the malt.
thanks

IMG_20200913_105035.jpg
IMG_20200913_105043.jpg
IMG_20200913_105049.jpg
IMG_20200913_105058.jpg

also,just to be sure,ill be using the pale ale as 85% base malt.
am i correct in saying the others are adjuncts only and shouldnt go over 10% of the grain bill?
thank u

I'd just use the U.K. or U.S. black malt. Won't be virtually any difference from yours.

Yep, the pale is the base malt. You can go over 85% with adjuncts, but that depends on what they are. That black is pretty potent stuff, so you don't want to use much generally. Probably simplest to post your recipe in the recipe section for feedback on whether there's problems with the amount of non-pale malts.

Well I'm a novice but with an EBC of 1000 I wouldn't use more than about 3%. It's like adding a red sock to a load of white underware. I have done both and the results are not pleasant lol

If you select the American Black Malt in the recipe builder, you will be okay. Note that the recipe tool uses Lovibond as opposed to EBC. There are some calculators on line to convert between the two, although Lovibond is usually used for grain color and EBC and SRM are usually used for wort color. 1000 EBC is roughly 375 L.

And, as noted by #AHarper, a little goes a long way. I used 4.2% in a stout recipe and that was about right. I would probably not add much more than that.

I don't think I'd go the route of bakers chocolate. There's a lot of fat in that. I'd go cocoa powder last 5-10 minutes of boil.

I find it annoying when companies repackage a product with their own label and don't tell you where it is sourced. Beerlab and Beerplus tell you where they source the malt. Maybe phone Beerguevara and ask them. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just Simpsons malt repackaged.

In the Recipe Builder, any user can choose what they would like to see for their malts. What I mean is, in your settings you can choose to see SRM ratings and choose the equations you want to use for lovibond, EBC, etc.
I'm a stubborn American, so use lovibond and US gallons. But you can definitely choose your own measurements!
upload_2020-9-14_10-2-24.png

For example, I changed to the Morey EBC, and added black malt to a recipe and got these choices:
upload_2020-9-14_10-5-10.png

In the Recipe Builder, any user can choose what they would like to see for their malts. What I mean is, in your settings you can choose to see SRM ratings and choose the equations you want to use for lovibond, EBC, etc.
I'm a stubborn American, so use lovibond and US gallons. But you can definitely choose your own measurements!
View attachment 11918

For example, I changed to the Morey EBC, and added black malt to a recipe and got these choices:
View attachment 11919
great info,thanks!

Back