stored hops in cupboard for 4 weeks....

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi guys,i just realised i did a crap move.
ive been storing my hops in a cupboard for the past 4 weeks!
spent too much time looking after the malts and yeasts.
i just chuked them into the freezer now (edit)
is it too late or should i chuck it in the bin?
its about a kilo of different varities of hops,all vacuum sealed since it was delivered.
i tossed the ones that i opened and resealed.

Last edited:
i just chuked them into the freezer.
its about a kilo of different varities of hops,all vacuum sealed since it was delivered.
omg.....if the shelf-life of vac.sealed hops was <6months min. I would be screwed!

omg.....if the shelf-life of vac.sealed hops was <6months min. I would be screwed!
sorry,what are u saying?

i just chuked them into the freezer now(edit)

sorry,what are u saying?

i just chuked them into the freezer now(edit)
I am saying, as long as they are sealed they should be fine.
Throwing them in the freezer definitely can't hurt, but I can guarantee you that vacuum sealed hops can sit around for way more than 4 weeks before even being sold and shipped from a supplier, so 4 weeks on a shelf once they are in your possession won't make much difference...unless they are already super old.

I am saying, as long as they are sealed they should be fine.
Throwing them in the freezer definitely can't hurt, but I can guarantee you that vacuum sealed hops can sit around for way more than 4 weeks before even being sold and shipped from a supplier, so 4 weeks on a shelf once they are in your possession won't make much difference...unless they are already super old.
great to hear!

Much less deterioration if you store hops sealed and frozen. Second best is sealed and cold. Third best is sealed, room temp. They'll last for a year or two the first way, probably a few months the second way and a few weeks the third way. They may have lost a little flavor and IBU contend over 4 weeks but unless they were particularly hot, they'll serve you well.
Temperature is important but vacuuming is more so. Anything unsealed or sealed without vacuum will oxidize and deteriorate very quickly, whether it's in the freezer or not.

Don't throw them out!!!!!
Just use a bit more.
If there is a range of IBU for the style, shoot for the higher amount.
Or make a small batch to check. If I remember correct, you got kveik yeast, so you'll know pretty quick

Temperature has a pretty significant impact on hop shelf stability. But 4 weeks is not likely to be a problem.
I store mine in the freezer.

i just chuked them into the freezer now (edit)

A bit of a late response, but if they are vacuumed packed and it wasn't crazy hot, they might still be good to use.

A bit of a late response, but if they are vacuumed packed and it wasn't crazy hot, they might still be good to use.
Pretty much stock standard that I see even some hombrew stores doing in around me Cringeworthy I know but I dont think it's worth the argument i just dont buy their hops.

Everything I'm seeing from out of Yakima is temperature matters far more than O2 ingress, so that's kind of horrifying.

Everything I'm seeing from out of Yakima is temperature matters far more than O2 ingress, so that's kind of horrifying.
They may be assuming "unopened". In that case, temperature would be the limiting factor because I'm fairly sure they pack their hops in inert gas.

They're not in inert gasses when being stored for processing. The bales are stored in a cold warehouse. I worry far more about temperature these days than I do about o2 with hops.

Back