First BIAB- SMaSH Blonde hop suggestions

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to do my first BIAB batch when my current batch comes out of the fermenter in about 2 weeks. Looking to keep it as simple as possible so I can work on nailing my process. So I settled on a SMaSH Blonde ale. I figure malt-wise 2-row will get me where I want to go. What I'm really unsure of is the hops. I understand with blondes there's a lot of flexibility there and I'm only just starting to become familiar with a couple varieties of hops. I guess what I'm looking for is something that will keep this a simple, balanced beer but at the same time add just a little distinctive flair or style. Wouldn't mind something a little floral or with a hint of spiciness. So I realize that if I ask 10 of you this I'm getting atleast 15 opinions but what would be your favorite hops to put in a blonde ale?

Sorry, I can't offer any input, I haven't "brewed" a blonde as yet, and probably never will to be honest.
I am interested to see how this recipe develops, and ultimately turns out though:)

So I'm looking to do my first BIAB batch when my current batch comes out of the fermenter in about 2 weeks. Looking to keep it as simple as possible so I can work on nailing my process. So I settled on a SMaSH Blonde ale. I figure malt-wise 2-row will get me where I want to go. What I'm really unsure of is the hops. I understand with blondes there's a lot of flexibility there and I'm only just starting to become familiar with a couple varieties of hops. I guess what I'm looking for is something that will keep this a simple, balanced beer but at the same time add just a little distinctive flair or style. Wouldn't mind something a little floral or with a hint of spiciness. So I realize that if I ask 10 of you this I'm getting atleast 15 opinions but what would be your favorite hops to put in a blonde ale?
Whew - loaded question. So many options.
I have to agree with @thunderwagn on this - both Cascade and NB are great choices for something simple, yet, distinctive (I too, would put Cascade 1st)

I'd add that Phoenix hops are certainly "distinctive" - earthy/spicy/chocolate/molasses - I tend to use them in a beer darker than a blonde ale... But it could work..

German Tradition is floral/spicy in a very "traditional" way...not really distinctive though.

I also LOVE East Kent Golding and think it would go good here too but it is more earthy/sweet (too me) than floral/spicy.

I think I gave three new choices myself - on top of agreeing with 2 others... lol Sorry.

I'd take what folks here recommend, look up each and make a short list of what interests you most flavor-wise.

Last edited:
Think I'm leaning towards either Cascade or Northern Brewer. Phoenix intrigued me but they're not listed on my LHBS website so unless I put together big enough an order to get free shipping from one of the online outlets it's out. I was thinking US-05 but I've never used it, going off reputation. Any other suggestions?

Not hindered by any knowledge ;) I would suggest Citra. Sounds like it gives a lemony touch which I think goes well with a blonde.
I made a blonde (Belgian), but not a smash, and used Hallertau and Saaz.
But I would take any hop, then for your next brew, use the same malt but a different hop. And keep us informed :)

Think I'm leaning towards either Cascade or Northern Brewer. Phoenix intrigued me but they're not listed on my LHBS website so unless I put together big enough an order to get free shipping from one of the online outlets it's out. I was thinking US-05 but I've never used it, going off reputation. Any other suggestions?
I think you'll love your results with either of those hops. As for the yeast, while I have never used it, US-05 has a solid reputation and a lot of folks here can speak to it. It sounds like a solid choice.

Not hindered by any knowledge ;) I would suggest Citra. Sounds like it gives a lemony touch which I think goes well with a blonde.
I made a blonde (Belgian), but not a smash, and used Hallertau and Saaz.
But I would take any hop, then for your next brew, use the same malt but a different hop. And keep us informed :)
Citra interested me but I've seen mixed reviews on using it for bittering. Some say it's too harsh.

As with anything else, you'll hear mixed opinions on just about everything. I like s-05 and use it often. It makes a fine beer and is a good yeast for something like a blonde. Like others have mentioned, if I ferment at low temps (63f) I can get some peach notes off it, but around 68-70 is just fine in my brewing.

So I think I'm going to go 2-row, Northerner Brewer and US-05. Thinking I'll never enough malt and yeast for 3 batches but only enough hops for 2. That way I can kind of work on consistency but leave myself room to change it up for my 3rd batch. Unless anyone else has any other thoughts

US-05 is a good yeast, it has never failed me

Good luck with the upcoming brew! I've brewed two american blonde ales with a combo of centennial and cascade, which I enjoyed.

If it were me, I'd take this as an opportunity to learn about the hop styles you'll end up using the most. If your next 5 beers after this one are going to be German lagers, then smash with a German noble. If you want to do English beers, do a batch with fuggles or EKG.

As someone who mostly drinks american pales/IPAs, I've been exploring the "C" hops and other popular varieties in the style (like simcoe).

Repeating a simple recipe is a great way to dial in your process, but also a good way to set up some hop comparisons. Don't forget to take notes! If you can't repeat it, then it's not good science :)

Good luck with the upcoming brew! I've brewed two american blonde ales with a combo of centennial and cascade, which I enjoyed.

If it were me, I'd take this as an opportunity to learn about the hop styles you'll end up using the most. If your next 5 beers after this one are going to be German lagers, then smash with a German noble. If you want to do English beers, do a batch with fuggles or EKG.

As someone who mostly drinks american pales/IPAs, I've been exploring the "C" hops and other popular varieties in the style (like simcoe).

Repeating a simple recipe is a great way to dial in your process, but also a good way to set up some hop comparisons. Don't forget to take notes! If you can't repeat it, then it's not good science :)
I'm definitely thinking once I get it down this recipe can be my go-to for experimentation in the future. Pretty much why I bought grain and yeast for 3 batches and hops for 2

Sounds like you have a good plan!

So I did it again!
For my brown ale I accidently ordered twice as many hops as I intended but it worked out because the AAs on the package were way lower than what was in the original recipe so I was able to tweak it and include them all with a similar IBUs calculation as the original recipe.
Well I just did it again! I intended on ordering hops for 2 batches and I got hops for 4. I think it's cause I'm used to buying 1oz packages from my LHBS but MoreBeer let me order in 2oz packages. So should I stick with my original plan and do 2 batches with Northern Brewer and then just keep the other package in the freezer or should I try to use them more quickly?

As long as they're sealed they'll be fine in the freezer. It's always better to order a little heavy imo. Never know what might pop up, plus you can build up a little stock. Sealed hops can last a long time in the freezer.

I keep a pretty decent amount of hops on hand, like 8+ lbs isn't excessive is it? :p

Back