Beer Color

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I just tapped a Rye IPA and, to my eyes, the color is anywhere between 8-15 SRM, depending on where/how I hold the glass up to my cheap Color Wheel. Predicted color was about 12, so I’m in the ballpark.

But it got me thinking:
How do you all determine what your finished beer color is?
Do you even care? :D

It is so ridiculously subjective.

What do you use as a guide/template?
Do you hold the glass in front of, behind or to the side of a light?
Is there a beer judge’s standard practice?

Usually, I’m not that concerned. But there are certain styles that I feel should hit a general color range. And I do like to see if the software predicted color is somewhat accurate.

Thoughts?

Mine usually comes out somewhere in the expected range, so I don’t worry about it too much.

I generally know the color I'm looking for in the beers I brew and what SRM range it falls into. Color wheels can be OK if they haven't faded with age and are viewed in natural light. Otherwise, I liken them to pH strips.

Mine usually comes out somewhere in the expected range, so I don’t worry about it too much.
But I guess my question is, how do you know it’s in the expected range? What do you base it on?

But I guess my question is, how do you know it’s in the expected range? What do you base it on?
It's very subjective. And a bit of experience. I know that a Belgian Dark Strong Ale is not as dark as a stout.

I don't enter contests, so I don't worry too much. But I do reference online style guides.

I find that color can add to the aesthetic appeal of any beer. I've never tried to judge the color of a finished beer but I usually try to add malts to the grain bill that will make it visually interesting. Going by the predicted SRM in the calculator is good enough for me.

I have a little SRM gauge that I got for judging, so I just hold that paper up to the beer in the light to get a good guesstimate of the SRM.

If it comes out too yellow, you need to drink more water.

As far as in the glass, I figure it usually comes out close enough to predicted for me.

LOL...And I thought you meant the beer!

Most styles are given a range for color so yeah...subjective for close enough as I see it!

I have been wondering about the affect of additional hops in the brew and the color. I have a smash in the bubbler right now with the same grain bill as last and this batch is much deeper in the color and I used a different hop and more of it!

Back