What do you dislike the most in brewing beer?

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Since I've been a member of this site I have learned a lot from you folks. Now the bad. Besides running out of home brew, for me the clean up after brewing is the part of brewing I dislike the most even though I clean as I go. The fact that I have to haul stuff up and down from the basement also contributes to it. What's your dislike?

For my first brew the most difficult part ended up being bottling. Had a few minor issues that ended up with some spills and more sediment than ideal ending up in my bottling bucket meant I left probably 1-2 bottles behind. Hoping my second bottling day in a couple weeks goes smoother

I feel I have my small-batch brewhouse pretty streamlined. While I'm sure no one enjoys cleaning, I don't really give it a second thought. 15-20 minutes tops. So, I have to say I honestly don't dislike any part of the process.

I guess if I had to pick something to object to it would be waiting for the next brew day! :)

Sometimes, knowing how much time and work goes into brewing will keep from starting! I have young kids so I want to spend as much time as possible with them... I hope that as we all get older I'll not hesitate to brew as I sometimes do now! lol

Cleaning I don't mind _that_ much, but my biggest hate is that I am guaranteed to mess up at some point on a session and (usually) spill some sort of liquid on the floor/worktop/drawer/clothes/dogs. Could be wort, could be sparge water, could be sanitiser. It will get spilled at some point.

My biggest issue is just getting started on whatever it is im doing. Once that happens, I'm kind of locked in for the ride.
Like megary said, I dont dislike anything necessarily and have got my process down pat

If there were much about it I didn't like, I wouldn't do it. Even cleaning is for me more Zen-like than I'd ever imagined cleaning to be. As long as things are going well, when I'm brewing I'm in a kind of flow state where one task is simply flowing into the next. What I hate is when something goes wrong, generally a result of my own carelessness, a valve is left open, a quick-connect isn't connected.... Those cleanups break the flow state and damage my calm.

What I dislike is not knowing for sure where I went wrong. Sometimes it is obvious but other times it is frustratingly annoying that I did what I did before but this time I get different results. Arghhhhh! My last brew was the best yet but... I want to do a different beer next time but will it be as good or will I find another problem.

bottling......cleaning and sanitizing bottles.... but not the actual practice of cleaning and sanitizing, but more that my method is primitive.
I have so many projects going.. new house, greenhouse, coral for sheep, and many more (all of which I am actually doing alone)... that I don't make the time to build a better system to clean and sanitize my 500 ml bottles. I can clean, then drain 6 at a time.. then sanitize and drain those same 6, prior to filling... then repeat.. for 40 to 50 liters a batch. So I make a lot of trips between the filling station and the sink.
I actually enjoy the cleaning process... just don't like my process is so primitive. ;)

bottling......cleaning and sanitizing bottles.... but not the actual practice of cleaning and sanitizing, but more that my method is primitive.
I have so many projects going.. new house, greenhouse, coral for sheep, and many more (all of which I am actually doing alone)... that I don't make the time to build a better system to clean and sanitize my 500 ml bottles. I can clean, then drain 6 at a time.. then sanitize and drain those same 6, prior to filling... then repeat.. for 40 to 50 liters a batch. So I make a lot of trips between the filling station and the sink.
I actually enjoy the cleaning process... just don't like my process is so primitive. ;)

I bought this when I first started brewing. https://www.amazon.com/Sulfiter-Mid...keywords=bottle+washer&qid=1598896362&sr=8-18

I still use it to wash wine bottles and sometimes beer bottles on the oft chance I feel like bottling. It works great. Just add a drying tree and you are golden. https://www.amazon.com/North-Mounta...ords=bottle+drying+tree&qid=1598896439&sr=8-9

I will have to agree with hating, during one period of my brewing career or another, almost everything everyone has mentioned here.
Boilovers are a real PITA. After years of trying to put too much wort in my pot, I finally decided to split my boil into first-runnings + second-runnings. It takes more time on the brew day, but I get a way more vigorous boil and (almost) no more boilovers.
Cleaning up is never fun. I have found a couple shortcuts though and currently have the benefit of a full bathtub for washing out the pots, until the 2nd bathroom gets renovated. :p
Carrying a full fermenting bucket up and down stairs didn't used to be an issue, but since I moved a year ago it is... Thankfully it is only one flight, but I still use the wheelbarrow to get the bucket from the balcony to the stairs and from the stairs to the basement room.
I think at the moment, mostly due to Corona and trying to brew while working homeoffice (+ homeschooling the first couple months), I dislike the fact that brewing is like cooking, but for 4-5 hrs straight with little break. I love cooking, and I love brewing, but right at the moment having to stay focused on something for that long seems more like a chore than a relief. Now that school here has started again and I am almost 100% back in the office, I think I will soon be glad again for the 4-5 hrs at a time of brewing. :D

Last edited:
Since I've been a member of this site I have learned a lot from you folks. Now the bad. Besides running out of home brew, for me the clean up after brewing is the part of brewing I dislike the most even though I clean as I go. The fact that I have to haul stuff up and down from the basement also contributes to it. What's your dislike?

Cleaning up afterwards is what I hate the most. I store everything in the basement, mash in the kitchen and boil outside. That's a lot of stuff up and down the stairs. By the end of an enjoyable brew day, I just don't want to clean it all up. I think part of is that cleaning is the only part of the process that doesn't directly lead to beer.

Last edited:
Waiting.....
And waiting now to get my house built and my stuff out of storage
Waiting for my grain mill and stainless steel kettle (they are in Europe, normally I go once a year and have friends coming that can bring. Not now due to Corona)
Waiting for my solar system
Good thing is: i can built with brewing/cleaning in mind :)

Waiting. Not a very patient person. I have been known to rush beers from time to time...

Also, I wish I could brew twice as often doing half batches so I could have more variety at once. I have 4 on tap all the time but it never feels like enough.
I can completely agree with this! I feel like there is so much for me to brew and not enough time to brew it all! I have so many ideas that I want to try.

I dislike waiting and scheduling a brew day. There are some days I just would rather brew instead of mowing lawns or cleaning house or the likes. Cleaning is not the most fun but I really don't mind it that much. Finishing up last of cleaning just means there's a batch of goodness in fermentation:)

Back