Overwhelmed with style/recipe options. Help!!

For me Pettersson came out of no where, and he is Sveedish too!

Petersson is a good one. Certainly didn't expect him to have such a huge impact so quickly. These young Swedish kids are just a different breed

@SabreSteve

Update? Photo? How'd it all turn out? The brew you were waiting to finish fermenting and the brown ale (if you managed a chance to brew it)....

@SabreSteve

Update? Photo? How'd it all turn out? The brew you were waiting to finish fermenting and the brown ale (if you managed a chance to brew it)....
I'll try taking a picture tonight. Definitely doesn't look or taste like a Hefe other than the cloudiness but it's drinkable and really not bad. No less enjoyable than the Labbatt Blue I have alongside it in the fridge. I call it my unintentional Dunkleweizen based on the color although tastes nothing like it and I think it's not quite dark enough for that. Don't really get any banana or clove but none of the "tutti-frutti" I was warned about if it fermented warm. I'd say more banana than anything. On the other hand my dad says he likes it. "Well balanced" he says. I'll take another stab at it in the future and I don't think I'm going to use LME next time.

So life has been crazy and I just typically haven't had a ton of time for hobbies period the last year or so. Have a 16 month old son who just never stops and my wife is about to go back to work as a math teacher and is super stressed about teaching in a hybrid (some in-person and some virtual) format. So basically when I'm not working I'm watching him so she can do prep work. I really just haven't been able to get to my LHBS to shop. They have a website but only to ship they don't have a curbside pickup option which would really help me. I might just call them on the phone and ask if I can place an order for pickup. Either way I have a week of vacation at the beginning of September and I will definitely get a brew in before it's over. Definitely going with the brown ale. I've even planned beyond that. This mishap has inspired me that I kinda want to do a Dunkleweizen. I figure if I have any leftover chocolate malt or carafa III from the brown ale I could use it for color correction on the Dunkleweizen?

I'll try taking a picture tonight. Definitely doesn't look or taste like a Hefe other than the cloudiness but it's drinkable and really not bad. No less enjoyable than the Labbatt Blue I have alongside it in the fridge. I call it my unintentional Dunkleweizen based on the color although tastes nothing like it and I think it's not quite dark enough for that. Don't really get any banana or clove but none of the "tutti-frutti" I was warned about if it fermented warm. I'd say more banana than anything. On the other hand my dad says he likes it. "Well balanced" he says. I'll take another stab at it in the future and I don't think I'm going to use LME next time.

So life has been crazy and I just typically haven't had a ton of time for hobbies period the last year or so. Have a 16 month old son who just never stops and my wife is about to go back to work as a math teacher and is super stressed about teaching in a hybrid (some in-person and some virtual) format. So basically when I'm not working I'm watching him so she can do prep work. I really just haven't been able to get to my LHBS to shop. They have a website but only to ship they don't have a curbside pickup option which would really help me. I might just call them on the phone and ask if I can place an order for pickup. Either way I have a week of vacation at the beginning of September and I will definitely get a brew in before it's over. Definitely going with the brown ale. I've even planned beyond that. This mishap has inspired me that I kinda want to do a Dunkleweizen. I figure if I have any leftover chocolate malt or carafa III from the brown ale I could use it for color correction on the Dunkleweizen?
A pic would be awesome!

I completely understand where you are coming from time-wise! - Been there! - Still tough these days at 5 and 7 years old! lol

I'd say, save the dunkleweiss and hefe for another time. Focus in on honing in other recipes. I only say this because that yeast is more finicky than folks lead on! Once you've perfected the art then come back to it. Not to discourage you but I think you'll enjoy getting other beers under your belt (successfully) before coming back to something (I feel) takes a bit more science and perfection.

Anyway, post those pics when you get a chance and good luck in September with the Brown Ale!

A pic would be awesome!

I completely understand where you are coming from time-wise! - Been there! - Still tough these days at 5 and 7 years old! lol

I'd say, save the dunkleweiss and hefe for another time. Focus in on honing in other recipes. I only say this because that yeast is more finicky than folks lead on! Once you've perfected the art then come back to it. Not to discourage you but I think you'll enjoy getting other beers under your belt (successfully) before coming back to something (I feel) takes a bit more science and perfection.

Anyway, post those pics when you get a chance and good luck in September with the Brown Ale!
Pictures enclosed. Picked that glass cause I felt @Craigerrr would enjoy it. As you can see it's pretty dark.

I decided to begrudgingly take your advice on putting off the Dunkleweizen. Fortunately I've got time to decide. I'll likely have an extra packet of Nottingham because it seems like it might be cheaper at my LHBS to buy it in a pack of 3 than buying 2 individually so I might look to do something with that.

Attachments

• IMG_20200820_200851.jpg
    IMG_20200820_200851.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20200820_200858.jpg
    IMG_20200820_200858.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 74
Pictures enclosed. Picked that glass cause I felt @Craigerrr would enjoy it. As you can see it's pretty dark.

I decided to begrudgingly take your advice on putting off the Dunkleweizen. Fortunately I've got time to decide. I'll likely have an extra packet of Nottingham because it seems like it might be cheaper at my LHBS to buy it in a pack of 3 than buying 2 individually so I might look to do something with that.
Oh nice, they must have had giveaway in Buff! Buy a glass and get free tickets?

That really does look like a dunkleweiss as far as color goes! Too bad you didn't get the banana/clove from the yeast. It looks like it dropped pretty clear too. Strange for wlp300... Hmmm.

I've read in so many places that hefeweissen is an "easy" recipe but I find if you hold one up to the real deal from Germany it is certainly not true (IMO).

An extra pack of Notty is always nice! It'll make a nice 1.050 or lower beer easy! - Like a nice blonde ale :)

It is a nice looking beer, but you need to clean the dirt off the glass!

Oh nice, they must have had giveaway in Buff! Buy a glass and get free tickets?
Only Sabres tickets I ever got in a giveaway were to a Leafs game:p
It is a nice looking beer, but you need to clean the dirt off the glass!
Yeah I just noticed the spot on the back after taking the picture. My mother-in-law was over watching the kid and did the dishes so I'm gonna blame her...
That really does look like a dunkleweiss as far as color goes! Too bad you didn't get the banana/clove from the yeast. It looks like it dropped pretty clear too. Strange for wlp300... Hmmm.

I've read in so many places that hefeweissen is an "easy" recipe but I find if you hold one up to the real deal from Germany it is certainly not true (IMO).
That's why I picked it because it's a style I really like that's hard to find commercially right now and I read it was "easy". I think a good place to start though would be fresh grains or malt extract. I double checked the lovibond on the LME I used...
It's 3. I knew right away the wort looked too dark but thought it'd lighten up.

So true! I have struggled so many times to make a great hefe. I finally just moved on to things I know I can brew well. A good hefe is one of the hardest to pull off in my book, but maybe that's just me. We're lucky enough here to have a few very fine examples available locally, but I think that is rare also. There are some really poor commercial examples out there.

So true! I have struggled so many times to make a great hefe. I finally just moved on to things I know I can brew well. A good hefe is one of the hardest to pull off in my book, but maybe that's just me. We're lucky enough here to have a few very fine examples available locally, but I think that is rare also. There are some really poor commercial examples out there.
The "big" craft beer presence in New York State, Saranac used to make a really decent one that was in a few of their seasonal variety packs but like everyone else they've gone crazy with IPAs. They've even forced IPAs into their Irish and German roots variety packs. Really?? That's why I'm sometimes hostile towards IPAs. Ok style but I don't like having things crammed down my throat.
I did have a Weihenstephaner at one of Michael Symon's burger joints in Ohio and it was one of the single greatest beer experiences of my life.

The "big" craft beer presence in New York State, Saranac used to make a really decent one that was in a few of their seasonal variety packs but like everyone else they've gone crazy with IPAs. They've even forced IPAs into their Irish and German roots variety packs. Really?? That's why I'm sometimes hostile towards IPAs. Ok style but I don't like having things crammed down my throat.
I did have a Weihenstephaner at one of Michael Symon's burger joints in Ohio and it was one of the single greatest beer experiences of my life.
Dude! I love Saranac brewing! However, I haven't had it in years... So sad to hear they are moving away from what they do best! I wish companies like them (and Sam Adams) would realize that there are too many other breweries jumping on hop "craze" and that there are still so many of us who enjoy what they've always done best - Balanced beers! Beer - Beers!

If you can find it out your way, look for Jack's Abbey - they make awesome lagers! (Minus the hoppy ones) lol

I found a couple places by me that sell German Hefe and Dunkle weiss so I just buy that now. I was like you at first (and even did have some success with dunkleweiss) but it was too inconsistent and I got sick of wasting hours on beer that was subpar... Maybe you'll pull it off! However, being so new I'd hone in your craft first on something a bit easier. (That's my 2 cents anyway)

Dude! I love Saranac brewing! However, I haven't had it in years... So sad to hear they are moving away from what they do best! I wish companies like them (and Sam Adams) would realize that there are too many other breweries jumping on hop "craze" and that there are still so many of us who enjoy what they've always done best - Balanced beers! Beer - Beers!

If you can find it out your way, look for Jack's Abbey - they make awesome lagers! (Minus the hoppy ones) lol

I found a couple places by me that sell German Hefe and Dunkle weiss so I just buy that now. I was like you at first (and even did have some success with dunkleweiss) but it was too inconsistent and I got sick of wasting hours on beer that was subpar... Maybe you'll pull it off! However, being so new I'd hone in your craft first on something a bit easier. (That's my 2 cents anyway)
They used to be my favorite but yeah shoe -horning hoppy-er beers into their German and Irish variety packs offended my sensibilities a bit. They still make their summer blueberry wheat but that's the thing, I like fruit beers from time to time but that's pretty much all you can find in wheat right now. Ellicottville Brewing around here does a pretty good Blueberry wheat and a blood orange Hefe which is good but not quite the same. I'd love to be able to produce something that is even just an ok approximation of a Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. I'm not giving up on that but maybe I work my way up to it.

Does Southern Tier have a Hefe? They are well west of you, but they have a big presence in NY State, Ohio, and I assume elsewhere in the North East. Not sure if it still there but they opened up a Brew Pub in Cleveland a couple years ago. Which of course is well west of you, but speaks to their expanding.

Not to say Saranac doesn't still make a fine product they just have jumped on the current trends like everyone else. The other "big" craft brewer around here is Southern Tier and they've been all aboard the IPA train since it originally left the station. There are plenty of brewerys that make a variety of stuff but usually only one or two varietys make the supermarket shelves. Rohrbach here in Rochester makes a good scotch ale thats in stores. That's another style I'd like to eventually add to my repertoire.

Does Southern Tier have a Hefe? They are well west of you, but they have a big presence in NY State, Ohio, and I assume elsewhere in the North East. Not sure if it still there but they opened up a Brew Pub in Cleveland a couple years ago. Which of course is well west of you, but speaks to their expanding.
Huge presence here, about as big as Saranac. Probably bigger here than any other NY based brewer not named Genesse. Don't know I'd have to check. Haven't given them much thought lately because of their IPA heavy lineup. Haven't bought them since they made a beer for the Bills and Sabres a few years ago. It was ok

I've even planned beyond that. This mishap has inspired me that I kinda want to do a Dunkleweizen. I figure if I have any leftover chocolate malt or carafa III from the brown ale I could use it for color correction on the Dunkleweizen?
I haven't been able to let this drift from my mind since reading it... In a dunkleweiss I usually like a malt that lends a dry fruit (raisins/figs/plums) note to the beer. So, instead of the carafa III I'd probably consider the caramunich III... Or perhaps an abbey malt. Though it doesn't have dark fruit notes to it carawheat would work nicely for 5-10% of the bill.

Since it is the yeast that always escapes me on this beer I almost wonder what it would be like with a lager yeast... If I could excentuate the malts enough and maybe find a hop that went nicely (Phoenix or Mt. Rainier) - maybe use a decoction mash... But what would I do for the banana/clove one gets from the yeast?...

Sorry. Thinking out loud here.

Back