Hoppy Norweigan

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got some VOSS dry yeast and looking to do something on the hoppy side around 40 IBUs. Thoughts on the recipe below? Doesn't need to fit into a category, just wondering if it will taste good for a summer beer. Thinking about a cross between a tripel, pale ale, hazy ipa, and maybe a hefe for the head retention. Tons of citrus and tropical aroma, low bitterness, high abv, with a decent head and maybe a crisp dry finish.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1037646/hoppy-norwegian-001

I dubbed this a Norwegian blonde lol 100% 2row, with Centennial and Cascade, projected IBUs from 20-25. Fermented with 3g dried voss kveik for a 1 gallon batch around 77F for around a week. It came out more fruity/estery than I was expecting. Hops/bitterness very subtle. It's crisp and tart, neither hoppy nor malty. My next voss brew will be IBUs around 40-45 with some victory and crystal around 10% of the total grain bill, so I think your recipe seems great for what you're hoping! Cheers
20200813_143146.jpg

I dubbed this a Norwegian blonde lol 100% 2row, with Centennial and Cascade, projected IBUs from 20-25. Fermented with 3g dried voss kveik for a 1 gallon batch around 77F for around a week. It came out more fruity/estery than I was expecting. Hops/bitterness very subtle. It's crisp and tart, neither hoppy nor malty. My next voss brew will be IBUs around 40-45 with some victory and crystal around 10% of the total grain bill, so I think your recipe seems great for what you're hoping! CheersView attachment 11370

What was your FG? Curious about mouthfeel and whether it had a dry finish.

I'm not really looking for tart, so hopefully that isn't a major flavor in Voss...

What was your FG? Curious about mouthfeel and whether it had a dry finish.

I'm not really looking for tart, so hopefully that isn't a major flavor in Voss...
OG 1.044 FG 1.006, projected FG was 1.010. Methinks voss is an overachiever.

I did another voss batch. A simcoe IPA, I missed my OG on the low side: 1.041. And FG was also 1.006.

It needs to condition longer, so maybe some of the flavors will develop differently. I'm going to save the rest for another week (ish...)

Tweaked the recipe for the hops and malts that I have onhand. Any objections?

Tweaked the recipe for the hops and malts that I have onhand. Any objections?

In home brewing, "what I have on hand" is almost always a get out of jail free card for altering a recipe. :)

In home brewing, "what I have on hand" is almost always a get out of jail free card for altering a recipe. :)

Yeah, pretty sure that is the norm around here.

I thought I had some Galaxy in the freezer, but apparently that went into a Saison a few weeks back and I forgot.

I'll try the Galaxy next time in a Kveik to see how it comes out. Pretty sure that this one will do just fine without it.

Yeah, pretty sure that is the norm around here.

I thought I had some Galaxy in the freezer, but apparently that went into a Saison a few weeks back and I forgot.

I'll try the Galaxy next time in a Kveik to see how it comes out. Pretty sure that this one will do just fine without it.
Do you use the inventory feature? I find it wicked helpful when I build recipes...

Do you use the inventory feature? I find it wicked helpful when I build recipes...

Didn't even realize they had an Inventory feature. Might have to check that out. Normally my brain is okay, but for some reason, I just totally blanked on the Galaxy thing. Oh well, it should still make beer.

I'd dry hop as well if you want it to be hoppy. Some wheat in the grist will help you with your head retention.

Not sure what to dry hop with. I've only got 1 ounce of Citra, 1 ounce of Mosaic, 1 ounce of Nugget, and 1 ounce of Magnum to play with.

As for wheat, don't have any. That's why I left the crystal in, figured it might help with the head retention.

Not sure what to dry hop with. I've only got 1 ounce of Citra, 1 ounce of Mosaic, 1 ounce of Nugget, and 1 ounce of Magnum to play with.

As for wheat, don't have any. That's why I left the crystal in, figured it might help with the head retention.
I'd dry hop with the mosaic your just going to get that extra umph from the dry hop I find I get more aroma on the dry hop but plenty flavour from the WP.
Regardless it'll be tasty but the recipie title does say hoppy Norwegian so dam my man make it hoppy:D!

Oh just 're read that so you've got an.ounce or citra and mosaic total. Well why not do half ounce of each WP and DH

Or take a trip to hombrew store in a few days to pic up extra ounce of hops for DH:)

Didn't even realize they had an Inventory feature. Might have to check that out. Normally my brain is okay, but for some reason, I just totally blanked on the Galaxy thing. Oh well, it should still make beer.
I made a video showing how to utilize the Inventory feature. - You can find it in the
Brewing Videos and Tutorials
thread here on the forums. Check it out. I think you'll like using it for quite a few reasons!

Man, this yeast is a beast! Y'all weren't kidding!

3 hours after pitching, I got nervous due to the solid airlock activity and installed a blow off tube. It's riding at 96 degrees F right now and still bubbling like crazy. I'll take a reading on Monday to see where we are at and probably look to bottle in about 8 more days. I've never been able to bottle a beer within 15 days, so this should be interesting. For low gravity ales I typically keep it in the primary for about 10 days, cold crash for about 4 days, let it sit on the counter at room temp for about 2 days and then bottle. If this Kveik works out, I could cut that primary time in half!

I'll probably try it in a couple heavy beers (RIS, Porter, BDSA) to see how it plays with non-hoppy styles. I've read about a few folks using it with success, so may have to give it a go next week in an Cognac Barrel Aged Imperial Porter recipe I've been working on.

Back