Total Beginner

Ah I just read this " i then sanitised all equipment using ‘Youngs’ sanitiser. I then rinsed everything, again using boiled, cooled water."

in your step by step is all. Sorry to be picky just thought you may still be rinsing the sanitizer which as you know is working against you ;).
Ahh!!! Understood. But basically no, I rinsed all equipment prior to starting the brew and haven’t done anything since other than apply plastic wrap. I haven’t had a chance to check this morning yet as the brew is stored in an out building and it’s tonking down with rain so will have to wait till it stops before i go check. I’m not the most patient person so the suspense is killing me. :(

And don’t worry about picky comments, as the title of this thread says, i am a COMPLETE novice, this is my first attempt so any feedback, help, suggestions are always welcome.

Just checked and it’s US West Coast Yeast
US West Coast, sounds like a US-05 / Cali Ale strain. Give it a solid two weeks to ferment. You have krausen, you have lift off! Keep the temp down, and you will be golden. You just have to be patient now.

US West Coast, sounds like a US-05 / Cali Ale strain. Give it a solid two weeks to ferment. You have krausen, you have lift off! Keep the temp down, and you will be golden. You just have to be patient now.
Thanks, the brew temp is now at a steady 18-19 degrees which i guess is OK, this is mainly due to the ambient temps in my area. The krausen is still present and there’s a bulge on the fermenter lid as if there’s pressure from within, but still no air lock activity.

Thanks, the brew temp is now at a steady 18-19 degrees which i guess is OK, this is mainly due to the ambient temps in my area. The krausen is still present and there’s a bulge on the fermenter lid as if there’s pressure from within, but still no air lock activity.
Could you post a picture of the fermenter lid?

Attachments

• 67A2AAFC-B329-428C-85F4-4E562B056458.jpeg
    67A2AAFC-B329-428C-85F4-4E562B056458.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 96
Here you go
The lid doesn't really look like it is swelling. I assume everything is fine. Sort of hard to tell, but it looks like the krausen may be dropping out already. - Things are still at work though.

How many days now in the fermenter?

Here you go
Nice big head of krausen there, if the air lock isn't bubbling, your lid must no be sealed.
Don't sweat that though.
You do have some starsan, or something in the air lock, right?

The lid doesn't really look like it is swelling. I assume everything is fine. Sort of hard to tell, but it looks like the krausen may be dropping out already. - Things are still at work though.

How many days now in the fermenter?
Started the brew last Saturday, and prior to the photo I removed the plastic wrap whichsort of disturbed whatever was going on inside and loads of bubbles came out of the air trap

Classic bucket clip down lid if it's got a good seal a handy trick once air lock is locked and loaded with liquid is press the lid down a tad you should see the air lock bubble a bit.

Happy fermentation it looks you did have.

Started the brew last Saturday, and prior to the photo I removed the plastic wrap whichsort of disturbed whatever was going on inside and loads of bubbles came out of the air trap
Perfect! Things are moving nicely then! Let it ride at least 14 days and you should have some nice beer ready soon. :)

Expecting the yeast to ferment the beer faster is much like expecting a teenager to pick up after itself. It just isn't the way it works!

Nice big head of krausen there, if the air lock isn't bubbling, your lid must no be sealed.
Don't sweat that though.
You do have some starsan, or something in the air lock, right?
It’s not starsan, but yes i have the sanitiser that came with the kit mixed very weakly i must say with boiled water.

Perfect! Things are moving nicely then! Let it ride at least 14 days and you should have some nice beer ready soon. :)
I’m assuming that once fermentation has stopped, all the kruasen will have disappeared? Is that a good indication that fermentation has stopped?

Classic bucket clip down lid if it's got a good seal a handy trick once air lock is locked and loaded with liquid is press the lid down a tad you should see the air lock bubble a bit.

Happy fermentation it looks you did have.
To be honest i’m not that keen on this bucket so will be looking to replace it with a screw top fermentation vessel for my next batch.

I’m assuming that once fermentation has stopped, all the kruasen will have disappeared? Is that a good indication that fermentation has stopped?
Yes and no... Krausen will typically drop out (fall/disappear) once fermentation is over. I usually wait a couple of days after it has fallen before I do anything as the yeast will still be dropping out too and the beer will start to clear. Patience is tough but letting yeast have all the time they need is a big part of success.

Once the krausen drops and things start to clear, you have a couple options:
1. Easiest: Let the beer ride until 10-14 days have elapsed since you pitched yeast before taking a gravity reading and bottling.
2. Wait 2 days after krausen drops, take a gravity reading and record it. Wait anther 2 days and take a second reading and if it is the same then you are ready to bottle.

There are lots of feelings here about both.
#1 - ensures your beer receives less exposure to oxygen....
#2 - ensures your beer is truly done before bottling.

Yes, I have bottled or kegged beer after 8 to 10 days with a typical yeast BUT - MORE TIME has NEVER caused my beer any harm.

Yes and no... Krausen will typically drop out (fall/disappear) once fermentation is over. I usually wait a couple of days after it has fallen before I do anything as the yeast will still be dropping out too and the beer will start to clear. Patience is tough but letting yeast have all the time they need is a big part of success.

1. Easiest: Let the beer ride until 10-14 days have elapsed since you pitched yeast before taking a gravity reading and bottling.
2. Wait 2 days after krausen drops, take a gravity reading and record it. Wait anther 2 days and take a second reading and if it is the same then you are ready to bottle.

Yes, I have bottled or kegged beer after 8 to 10 days with a typical yeast BUT - MORE TIME has NEVER caused my beer any harm.
Great advice

To be honest i’m not that keen on this bucket so will be looking to replace it with a screw top fermentation vessel for my next batch.
Nothing wrong with clip down bucket i fermented many batches in one of them. Think of this a threaded fermentation lid has more places for bad bacteria to harbour in that thread.

Nothing wrong with clip down bucket i fermented many batches in one of them. Think of this a threaded fermentation lid has more places for bad bacteria to harbour in that thread.
Agree, as long as the bucket is well cleaned and sanitized, it will work well for you. If the lid doesn't seal, don't sweat it, the yeast will be none the wiser!

Great advice and thanks.

I will definitely be waiting the full two weeks as per instructions that came with the kit before checking the gravity. Although patience isn’t one of my strongest virtues, i want to get this right so am in no hurry and won’t be cutting any corners.
Once the fermentation is complete and the gravities are good, i then intend to keg the brew, how long should it remain kegged before it’s drinkable?

Back