Total Beginner

Nothing wrong with clip down bucket i fermented many batches in one of them. Think of this a threaded fermentation lid has more places for bad bacteria to harbour in that thread.
I just don’t have any confidence in this bucket that i’m using, it feels flimsy at best and although it isn’t a major issue, the gases produced during fermentation are obviously leaking from the lid as there’s still no activity in the air lock.

I just don’t have any confidence in this bucket that i’m using, it feels flimsy at best and although it isn’t a major issue, the gases produced during fermentation are obviously leaking from the lid as there’s still no activity in the air lock.
Ah well too each their own Derek by all means if it makes you more comfortable buy a more sturdy ferm vessel :). The local HBS will be more than happy to show you their range.

YOu could look into the fermzilla and fermzilla all rounder as they may be up your alley if you plan to keg. Honestly though, the bucket leaking around the lid isn't a "Huge" deal since you can see through it to an extent.

As for the keg and how long... If you slow carb (which I recommend) then you should be ready to drink after 5 days. There are lots of ways to help it carb faster in the keg. You can look them up.
- One thing I typically do is hit it with 25-30 psi to seal the lid of the keg and then I let it sit at that psi overnight and then reduce it to serving psi. That might shave a day or two off the carb time. - Don't forget it though or you'll have overcarbed beer :)

I usually hit mine with about 30 PSI for about 36 hours, then turn down to serving pressure. Usually fully carbed up the next day, or at least close enough have a quality control sample:D

YOu could look into the fermzilla and fermzilla all rounder as they may be up your alley if you plan to keg. Honestly though, the bucket leaking around the lid isn't a "Huge" deal since you can see through it to an extent.

As for the keg and how long... If you slow carb (which I recommend) then you should be ready to drink after 5 days. There are lots of ways to help it carb faster in the keg. You can look them up.
- One thing I typically do is hit it with 25-30 psi to seal the lid of the keg and then I let it sit at that psi overnight and then reduce it to serving psi. That might shave a day or two off the carb time. - Don't forget it though or you'll have overcarbed beer :)
I don’t think i have the facility to play with pressures, basically what i have is just basic kit (for now) I’ve probably misled you when i said keg, i meant pressure barrel as in the most basic type with C02 cartridge that sits on top with a tap on the bottom.

AC98F670-635E-45ED-89FF-AB2A60FBC62B.jpeg

Help!!! I think i’ve just messed my brew up :(:(:( I waited the full two weeks as per instructions, took a gravity reading (see photo) then in my haste i decanted the brew into the barrel with the sugar provided for carbonation. Unfortunately i’ve skipped a step, adding the hops :(:(:(

View attachment 11688

Help!!! I think i’ve just messed my brew up :(:(:( I waited the full two weeks as per instructions, took a gravity reading (see photo) then in my haste i decanted the brew into the barrel with the sugar provided for carbonation. Unfortunately i’ve skipped a step, adding the hops :(:(:(
Do you mean dry hops? You still have beer. Bottle it then remember the dry hops next time.

Do you mean dry hops? You still have beer. Bottle it then remember the dry hops next time.
He's absolutely right. I was disappointed because my first batch didn't come out as intended but it's still very drinkable and pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Brought a few to a family birthday party this Sunday and got rave reviews. I was a little down on it at first but my father-in-law reassured me that it was much better than his first batch. I say be happy that you made beer, enjoy them because they'll be gone way too quick and then look to improve next time. I'm brewing today. I've pinpointed just 1-2 areas that I feel I could have done better and I'm correcting those as part of my process. Next time I'll pick on another thing. Bottom line stick with it, you can only really get better from making mistakes and learning and I'm sure even if it's not what you were expecting it'll end up tasting better than you think

I have well over 200 batches behind me and still learn something every time. Your approach of working on one or two areas at a time is a very good one, one I use in my professional life as well! The take-away from forgetting the dry hops (and I've forgotten to add ingredients to batches) is to develop and use a good checklist. The one provided here in the brew session is a good start but with time, you'll develop your own.

Now if I could just remember to make sure all the valves are shut....

He's absolutely right. I was disappointed because my first batch didn't come out as intended but it's still very drinkable and pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Brought a few to a family birthday party this Sunday and got rave reviews. I was a little down on it at first but my father-in-law reassured me that it was much better than his first batch. I say be happy that you made beer, enjoy them because they'll be gone way too quick and then look to improve next time. I'm brewing today. I've pinpointed just 1-2 areas that I feel I could have done better and I'm correcting those as part of my process. Next time I'll pick on another thing. Bottom line stick with it, you can only really get better from making mistakes and learning and I'm sure even if it's not what you were expecting it'll end up tasting better than you think
Brilliant advice and thanks. All i can do now is sit and wait and hope for the best i guess. Out of curiosity, what would happen if i added the hops after i’d decanted into the pressure barrel and carbonation had commenced?

Dry hopping. You'd just have issues with hop debris clogging the dip tube. If I were to try this, I'd bag the hops to keep that from happening.

I usually hit mine with about 30 PSI for about 36 hours, then turn down to serving pressure. Usually fully carbed up the next day, or at least close enough have a quality control sample:D
Yup, burst carbing is the way to go. People are scared of it, but I've never had an issue with it. I've gone even higher PSI for a beer like a hefe. Zero problems!

Back