anyone tried bakers yeast to brew a beer?

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
just wondering if u guys tried instant yeast/bakers yeast to brew with.
if so,what was your results.
i tried it previously with a local brew ,called "unqombothi",with little success.
it uses malted sorghum and white maize meal as the base and a sachet of yeast.
a sour beer that fermented in 3 days,quite foamy ,no carbonation and about 2-3% abv.

that was in the sad days of our first alcohol ban.

im wondering how instant yeast would cope with my proper malted grains and hops.?
yep,beer yeast is quite expensive nowadays

i tried it previously with a local brew ,called "unqombothi",with little success.
a sour beer that fermented in 3 days,quite foamy ,no carbonation and about 2-3% abv.

im wondering how instant yeast would cope with my proper malted grains and hops.?
I tried it a while back when trying to clone a pretzel beer. Interesting, but I'd rather use brewers yeast personally.
And nice avatar pic btw

You could always do a simple SMaSH recipe with a bunch of different non-"brewers" yeasts and compare your results

Baker's yeast tends to be less pure than brewer's yeast, more microbiological contamination. But why not? I've done bread with champagne yeast.... Just never saw fit to risk a wort on it.

It's all S. Cerevisiae. That's like saying that the multiple breeds of dogs out there are one species....

It's all S. Cerevisiae. That's like saying that the multiple breeds of dogs out there are one species....
Technically they are though. Functionally?
A Great Dane or a mastiff could technically reproduce with a Chihuahua if you can get the logistics to work

Technically they are though. Functionally?
A Great Dane or a mastiff could technically reproduce with a Chihuahua if you can get the logistics to work
That's the point: They have been selected over generations for different purposes. Bread yeast is selected to make gas. Beer yeasts make beer, wine yeast, etc. There are some outlier species and they do mate: Lager yeast is a hybrid. Weizen yeast is a different species. Bread yeast will make beer, wine yeast will make bread, distiller's yeast will make (nasty) beer.

I haven't used it for beer, but plenty times for cider. Just with packs of Rhodes apple juice. Some came out well, some not so and those got turned into apple vinegar.
I found that they needed quite a long wait to become nice ciders.
They were done before I had any form of temperature control and in the summer, with fermenting temps far over 30 oC.
I did small batches, 3 litres at the time.
I wouldn't do it for beer though as that's too labour intensive....

I think the traditional Gotlands Drick from round these parts is made with bakers' yeast. I keep meaning to try a batch, but it does look to have a lot of one-off niche ingredients and birch-smoked malt is not the easiest stuff to use up!

I think the traditional Gotlands Drick from round these parts is made with bakers' yeast. I keep meaning to try a batch, but it does look to have a lot of one-off niche ingredients and birch-smoked malt is not the easiest stuff to use up!
Pretty sure all the Finnish Sahti brewers changed to brewers yeast a few decades ago. I have vague memories of smoked malt for that, but it was the Finnish traditional farmhouse beer.

Back