light bodied hoppy beer

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
That's WAY too much honey malt for me. I find it cloyingly sweet. I'd go with 3 ounces, 4 if you really really love it.

That's WAY too much honey malt for me. I find it cloyingly sweet. I'd go with 3 ounces, 4 if you really really love it.

I have much experience with Honey malt. I'm good with that amount. Once I used a full pound in a pale ale and it was a bit much. 6% isn't too much for me however I am usually a minimalist when it comes to crystal malt in general.

Edit - you have convinced me to bring it down slightly to 4.7%

Last edited:
That looks really good! I’ve been using those late hop routines lately and they really carry the flavor and aroma to the max. A little too much so I backed DHs to 1 oz. on pales. I do use a little bittering hops at 60 though on the pales and try to get about 1/2 the IBUs from bittering hops on IPAs.

I agree with Yooper on the honey malt. It’s sweet up front and I think there is a bitter after taste. 4% is max for me. Cheers:)

Thanks for all the feedback up to this point. As mentioned, I am very familiar with what honey malt brings to the table as it is one of the few crystal malts I use since brew a lot of lager inspired beers and do not use much crystal. If that's the main critique up to this point, I am good with it. Hoping to brew this in the next couple of days.

Expecting a FG around 1.011 with this yeast and my standard mash schedule.

Also, when I called it "light bodied" I suppose I was comparing it to more traditional APAs. This would probably fit as kind of as a hoppy blonde with APA bitterness...

Cheers!

87B91518-3299-47AC-8CCB-9B73CECD106E.jpeg

A little more golden than the pic. Light haze with condensation. Turned out really good although I would say the noble characteristics from mandarina are a little out of place. I get soft citrus, some stonefruit (mainly peach), and some dank earthiness. It was pretty ipa’ish for a bit but the hops have mellowed and provided a bit more balance. A nice summery pale ale which was the goal.

Last edited:
View attachment 11356
A little more golden than the pic. Light haze with condensation. Turned out really good although I would say the noble characteristics from mandarina are a little out of place. I get soft citrus, some stonefruit (mainly peach), and some dank earthiness. It was pretty ipa’ish for a bit but the hops have mellowed and provided a bit more balance. A nice summery pale ale which was the goal.
My my very sexy Indeed there Ilif.

Back