Help with hydrometer

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,I managed to get a hydrometer.
Problem is the chart readings are not for alcohol,I think.
Is there a way I can apply a proper chart to it once I have ascertained what the water line is.
Thanks for your help
IMG_20200806_141523.jpg

Hi everyone,I managed to get a hydrometer.
Problem is the chart readings are not for alcohol,I think.
Is there a way I can apply a proper chart to it once I have ascertained what the water line is.
Thanks for your helpView attachment 11241
Water will always be at 1.000. Could be reading it wrong but it looks from the photo that the scale is way too large and that might make it hard to make the readings you need for beer. It would seem the first line down from the top is 1.100?
If I'm reading that right that's crazy. My last batch for example had an OG of 1.050 and FG of 1.012. Unless I'm misinterpreting the scale that could be a problem.

Water will always be at 1.000. Could be reading it wrong but it looks from the photo that the scale is way too large and that might make it hard to make the readings you need for beer. It would seem the first line down from the top is 1.100?
If I'm reading that right that's crazy. My last batch for example had an OG of 1.050 and FG of 1.012. Unless I'm misinterpreting the scale that could be a problem.
I think the scale must have been calibrate to a different item.
But it should show me where the water line is.
Could I then print out a scale from a site and affix it over the existing one

If that scale isn't for SG I don't know what it is. Maybe someone else has some ideas. Water will always have an SG of 1.000 though.

What you could do is take readings of liquids in the range you need for beer that are known constants and use that to mark a new scale. Like I said though I just think those will be too small and close together to use accurately. But you know water is 1.000 so start there. Then do some web searching and find something you have at home that's known to have a SG of 1.010, then one that's 1.020 and so on

Numbers are off for it to be Brix/Plato... Can't be alcohol percentage either. Put some water in there and see what it reads: 1.000 in SG, 1.0 in Brix/Plato. Then mix a pound of sugar with a gallon of water - convert to metric if needed - that should measure 1.046. You now have your conversion: 1.000/x=1.046/y. Gravity may not be completely linear but over the range we use, close enough.

Where did you get that hydrometer from? Isn't that what they use to check battery cells?

For as cheap as hydrometers are, why not just buy the right one?

Definitely for wet cell batteries. Where'd you find that at, your local auto parts store? What you need will be described as a Beer/Wine or triple scale hydrometer.

Unless that's a finishing hydrometer.You can buy some that have 0.090 to 1.025 on them with the markings in the 0.001 ratio. They are no good for SG but kick butt for FG. Or it could be for batteries....I've brewed a few that could be classified as battery acid....:p:oops:

I know that you've talked about difficulties getting stuff shipped. If you're really desperate to get one and can't find a proper one maybe you can make your own. If you search homemade hydrometer there's a ton of sites and YouTube videos with tutorials. This is just the first one that came up:
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Hydrometer

Also for calibrating Sunrype apple juice if you can get it is 1.050 out of the box.

I think the scale must have been calibrate to a different item.
But it should show me where the water line is.
Could I then print out a scale from a site and affix it over the existing one

Yeah, could be for wine, not beer

Back