this carbonation keg thing,i think this will work..?

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Evening everyone,hope you had a good day,
i had a pleasant evening,probably because one of my batches bottle carbd to 87%!
tasted damn good,thank you for all the help and advice.

if you will indulge me again,please?

so i watched some entertaining videos concerning carbonation and stumbled upon a local homebrewer also doing his thing, on youtube,lacks a bit experience,but had some good ideas.
he was basically showing how to use a cooler box to mash in,i already use that method.
but he was also adding a filter and a spigot tap,great stuff,i learned that.
but it dawned on me that i could carb into it!
the cooler box would be my keg.
i would fit a tube connected to my co2 that would be sealed (top and bottom) into the box,till the base of box,about a inch before it touches the bottom.
using my co2 tank fitted with regulator,it would directly pump co2 to the bottom,the bubbles would be forced to rise through the beer,providing the beloved carb.
providinng the seal to keep the lid airtight can be accomplished by using a pull clamp.

i know,i know,it sounds very DIY,but very limited finances and time constraints dictate the means...

hoping to hear constructive criticism.

as always,thank you.

Evening everyone,hope you had a good day,
i had a pleasant evening,probably because one of my batches bottle carbd to 87%!
tasted damn good,thank you for all the help and advice.

if you will indulge me again,please?

so i watched some entertaining videos concerning carbonation and stumbled upon a local homebrewer also doing his thing, on youtube,lacks a bit experience,but had some good ideas.
he was basically showing how to use a cooler box to mash in,i already use that method.
but he was also adding a filter and a spigot tap,great stuff,i learned that.
but it dawned on me that i could carb into it!
the cooler box would be my keg.
i would fit a tube connected to my co2 that would be sealed (top and bottom) into the box,till the base of box,about a inch before it touches the bottom.
using my co2 tank fitted with regulator,it would directly pump co2 to the bottom,the bubbles would be forced to rise through the beer,providing the beloved carb.
providinng the seal to keep the lid airtight can be accomplished by using a pull clamp.

i know,i know,it sounds very DIY,but very limited finances and time constraints dictate the means...

hoping to hear constructive criticism.

as always,thank you.
The cooler box is not pressure rated. You can't use it as a keg. You'll be better off bottling until you can get proper equipment, even if it's one of the "single use" PET kegs (you can clean them and reuse them).

Yeah...that's not how any of this works. :D
If you have CO2, you're mostly there. You can get a used keg for 25 or 30 bucks if you look around. Then you just need a couple of fittings and a picnic tap and you're in business.

The cooler box is not pressure rated. You can't use it as a keg. You'll be better off bottling until you can get proper equipment, even if it's one of the "single us
even if it's one of the "single use" PET kegs (you can clean them and reuse them).

great info,thanks,
but i would still have to spend a third of my wage buying the coupler with tap.
covid and lockdown shoving it to us nowadays,so im trying to keep it practical and very budgetwise
thats why im coming up with these practical ideas to use my existing equipment.
its tough guys,and im trying to maintain a balance of normality with my family with all this lockdown,curfew and covid pandemic in our country.

You asked for constructive criticism.
Bottle and save your money till you have the proper means.
They make pressure rated fermenters that you can ferment and serve out of. If you ferment under pressure in the container, you can chill the entire thing and be ready to serve directly from it. Pressurizing a non pressure rated container isn't wise nor safe. Covid and finances aside, this is a bad idea.

What they said.
A) it won't seal
B) if it did seal, it is not rated to be pressurized
C) it won't seal
D) all of the above

You asked for constructive criticism.
Bottle and save your money till you have the proper means.
They make pressure rated fermenters that you can ferment and serve out of. If you ferment under pressure in the container, you can chill the entire thing and be ready to serve directly from it. Pressurizing a non pressure rated container isn't wise nor safe. Covid and finances aside, this is a bad idea.
Agreed. You can bottle-condition and package the beer in clean, sanitized soda bottles (keep them in the dark!). Belgian beers are packaged in champagne bottles because the beer drinkers couldn't afford bottles, so used the cast-offs of the rich. Soda bottles hold more pressure than glass beer bottles so don't be afraid to use them for beer.

Just make sure they're clean and sanitized.

i think this was a very bad idea of myself and should be closed off by me after the advice from members and further research,
that details safety and health concerns if trying this nonsense.

Thank u guys also.

i think this was a very bad idea of myself and should be closed off by me after the advice from members and further research,
that details safety and health concerns if trying this nonsense.

Thank u guys also.
Not a problem. Part of what we do is help others not make the same mistakes we did, and try to talk them out of making new ones.

We want to help you not paint the ceiling like we (I) did.

PET bottles definitely work. I have been using andcre-using them for a while now.
I use the 500 ml sprite ones as at least they are green (not clear).
I used to run a bar/restaurant so I had easy access to them.
Rinse straight after drinking and sanitise with star san before using

i think this was a very bad idea of myself and should be closed off
No, no, not at all: There's always someone else going to ask the same thing, and seeing it here keeps this knowledge for others to learn from.
Even bad ideas have value.

Back