Low ABV Recipe

^Tony^

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. I want to brew a low ABV hoppy pilsneresk/pale ale beer for when I want a beer but don't want the buzz. What do you think of:

6.5 # Pilsner
1 # Maris Otter
2 oz Aciduated Malt
0.5 oz Tettnanger 4.5 AA @ 60, 15, 5, FO
S-05 @68 f
Balance light water profile
Will that be too much hops? I like a hoppy pale ale but I think that may be too much.

Opinions?

Hey folks. I want to brew a low ABV hoppy pilsneresk/pale ale beer for when I want a beer but don't want the buzz. What do you think of:

6.5 # Pilsner
1 # Maris Otter
2 oz Aciduated Malt
0.5 oz Tettnanger 4.5 AA @ 60, 15, 5, FO
S-05 @68 f
Balance light water profile
Will that be too much hops? I like a hoppy pale ale but I think that may be too much.

Opinions?

I've been having success with additions only at 20 minutes and 2 minutes for sessionable beer that have a hoppy twist. Amazing how much I get out of 1 oz of amarillo for each addition.

I've been having success with additions only at 20 minutes and 2 minutes for sessionable beer that have a hoppy twist. Amazing how much I get out of 1 oz of amarillo for each addition.

1 oz at 20 and 2? Hmmm. That could be the solution. I really don't want it to be like chewing on a hop pellet (don't do it...just don't :oops:). With the lighter malt bill the later additions seem much more appropriate.
Thanks Iliff!

Would you be interested in a 4.3% hazy, with a ton of hop flavor and aroma?

20200515_164629.jpg

Would you be interested in a 4.3% hazy, with a ton of hop flavor and aroma?
Holy cow that's a lot of hops..no wonder my NEIPA's taste ordinary...I'm not using enough hops!

Ahhhhhhhhhh! That I can get.
Yeah not Russel Crowe telephone throwing malt;);).
In low ABV I find you need to get some body in there so dextrins malt helps wheat helps too.
It's got plenty of body this beer.
I'm thinking of even mashing lower next run. But am happy grist wise with it. Throws a nice orange colour

This be it here
20200711_174754.jpg

Back