Issue with wort? protein

Reaction score
Hi
I'm not sure what this is, I'm guessing it's the protein separated.
Can some one explain why this happens, I've had it before.
It goes to the bottom of the fermenter and doesn't seem to affect the taste of the beer.
Any tips on how to prevent it would be great.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200711_144316.jpg
    20200711_144316.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 78
Hi
I'm not sure what this is, I'm guessing it's the protein separated.
Can some one explain why this happens, I've had it before.
It goes to the bottom of the fermenter and doesn't seem to affect the taste of the beer.
Any tips on how to prevent it would be great.
Thanks
Totally fine it's just break material yes some of its protine coagulation others more sciency will know specifics.

You can try to whirlpool it in the kettle before transferring to the fermenter (some people swear by this), or you can dump the whole brew pot to the fermenter and let this settle out during fermentation.

I don't try to separate this out. It settles and I get a very clear beer.

Hi yes I did a whirlpool and it doesn't seem to help, I just wanted to check that I'm not doing something wrong to cause this to happen.

Hi yes I did a whirlpool and it doesn't seem to help, I just wanted to check that I'm not doing something wrong to cause this to happen.
The whirlpool method is a bit tricky. And it looks like your suspended solids are pretty fine, so it wouldn't be as effective.

Just go ahead and ferment. These will drop out.

I've seen long strings of proteins that look really bizarre in the kettle. It's desirable that it coagulates in some manner rather than staying in suspension. It can actually help clear the beer when fermentation is done because it drops out and takes other stuff with it. The only real disadvantage of having it in the fermenter is that it settles with the yeast and makes yeast harvesting more of a mess.

I've seen long strings of proteins that look really bizarre in the kettle. It's desirable that it coagulates in some manner rather than staying in suspension. It can actually help clear the beer when fermentation is done because it drops out and takes other stuff with it. The only real disadvantage of having it in the fermenter is that it settles with the yeast and makes yeast harvesting more of a mess.

Do you think it will affect the clarity as I want a hazy beer so what you say about the large particles taking stuff with it might actually make it clearer. Yes and I was hoping to re use the yeast. Does it mean I might need to wash the yeast more.

Reactions: J A
Do you think it will affect the clarity as I want a hazy beer so what you say about the large particles taking stuff with it might actually make it clearer. Yes and I was hoping to re use the yeast. Does it mean I might need to wash the yeast more.
Yes and yes. if you want hazy beer, use unmalted wheat as part of the grist. That'll leave plenty of proteins. Also use a yeast that won't flock quite so efficiently.
I re-use yeast with protein sludge in it all the time. Yes, extra washing will get a better pitch in terms of accurately judging the volume of slurry. I harvest from conicals mostly at this point so I don't worry as much about it. The first pint or two of slurry is mostly protein so I just throw it away.

Back