Irish Malt Lager

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I recently picked up 10lbs of an Irish Pale Ale Malt... link - https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/malt-co-ireland-ale-malt25k
And was thinking to make a pretty simple recipe with it. I am not sure though if I should just use all 10 lbs in one batch to see what I think... OR Use 5 lbs and use Bohemian Pilsner for the other 5... Feel free to input on the hops too if you'd like - just remember that I am not a hop head by any means.

Thanks! Recipe Below.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1022494/irish-golden-ale

I think your nearly 10% Victory might be a bit much. I like the idea of the toasty notes but with that grain bill, I'd go to an Irish Ale yeast and maybe Golding or Fuggle hops and brew a real golden ale. I brewed a beer very much like that with S-04 and it carried a nice level of diacetyl that gave it a very buttery/caramel flavor. Really nice beer.
For the clean lager effect, I'd stay with just a small percentage of Victory, if any. Your Mt. Ranier seems like a good hop choice. I intend to do something very similar with Mauribrew 497 yeast and American 2-row and probably Magnum, maybe Cluster hops for a San Francisco-style lager.

I think your nearly 10% Victory might be a bit much.
Thanks! I figured I might be pushing the envelope here. I'll cut it back to 5% or less..

Irish Ale yeast and maybe Golding or Fuggle hops and brew a real golden ale.
So, it may be a good idea to switch over to EKG as I know the hop well (it's my favorite) and I would be able to garner more from the Irish malt... I have Nottingham and could make an actual "ale" that will be very close to a lager anyway...

Maybe a SMaSH beer is in order....

So, it may be a good idea to switch over to EKG as I know the hop well (it's my favorite) and I would be able to garner more from the Irish malt... I have Nottingham and could make an actual "ale" that will be very close to a lager anyway...

Maybe a SMaSH beer is in order....
I would drink that beer. :) Nottingham should attenuate well and make for a nice clean, crisp "Pub Lager".

I think that'll be a great beer. That's the sort of beer that I brew when I need something on tap quickly or when I want to build up a bigger pitch of yeast. That'll be an easy drinking beer in the summer heat. :)
I'll put it in the line-up to brew... May not be until August though... :( It'll still make a great fall quencher :)

Reactions: J A
I'll put it in the line-up to brew... May not be until August though... :( It'll still make a great fall quencher :)
Yeah, it's a perfect fall beer. Still light and quenching but with a little flavor. I had an Anchor Steam beer the other day because I'm figuring on brewing something sort of similar. It's definitely heavier than would be perfect for the summer heat but the hoppy crisp finish makes it work. A beer like you're looking at should be a notch or two lighter in body but still have some good malty flavor.

Back