Lalbrew Diamond Lager

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone used Lalbrew Diamond Lager? I’ve read that it is the same/similar strain to the 34/70. I have not used either. I am hoping to get the temp down in the 50’s. Low 60’s isn’t an issue. If the Lalbrew can ferment warmer than the 50-59 the pack says like the 34/70 then I’m good. If not I’ll have to use either us-05 or Nottingham. Planning Munich dunkel for brewing tomorrow.

If all you can guarantee is low 60's, use a Kolsch yeast. I think you'll be happier with the outcome.

Don’t have that. I have multiple packets of 04, 05, Nottingham and the Diamond.

34/70 and wyeast 2124 are well known to perform well @62F. They are clean and crisp, 34/70 will throw off a lemon or lemon grass ester even at 48F. It will be a little cleaner (maybe) at 48-52, but the esters will likely be there even at 48F unless it’s fermented under pressure. The thing that may change the most is sulfur production, higher temperatures reduce sulfur, which is not always bad depending on the beer you want. German beers display sulfur character, but American lagers show less of it.

The only other yeast I would recommend at 60-62 is Wyeast 1007 German Alt. It is a very good yeast for Alt’s as well as Kölsch beers. But 34/70 is a nice, reliable yeast at 48F or 62F and IMHO the best choice for a lot of different reasons. US05 would be my last choice.

Edit: S04 will work very well down to 52F, but 34/70 is still what I recommend.

I can use more ice bottles and keep in 50’s no problem. As long as the fermenter doesn’t get too hot it should be fine. So I can use Diamond Lager yeast.

how does it compare to 34/70?

I can use more ice bottles and keep in 50’s no problem. As long as the fermenter doesn’t get too hot it should be fine. So I can use Diamond Lager yeast.

how does it compare to 34/70?
Don’t know. I like 34/70 myself, it’s the best dry lager yeast to date. If Diamond lager yeast is a Weihenstehan variant it will perform similar to 34/70.

I searched last night and that seemed the case.

I've fermented 34/70 at 62 plenty of times for everything from a Marzen to a Pre-prohibition American Lager and had great results. Go for it!

I've fermented 34/70 at 62 plenty of times for everything from a Marzen to a Pre-prohibition American Lager and had great results. Go for it!
Won't be as clean as a traditional German lager but it'll make beer. I second: If it's what you have, do the best you can with it. Go for it!

If all you can guarantee is low 60's, use a Kolsch yeast. I think you'll be happier with the outcome.
I know I'm touching the "third rail" of homebrewing but...
Early in my brewing passion I was trying to make a schwarzbier and a pro brewer hanging out in the shop (brewery attached to the homebrew shop) persuaded me against using 34/70 in the low 60's and instead use WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch. He said a local large craft brewer used WLP029 to make their Oktoberfest. Wasn't the worst advice I've received but I didn't get a schwarzbier...it was a stout with german malts.
After reading all the brulosophy exbeeriments on lagers brewed at ale temps I've never even tried to brew a lager below 60F; admittedly I've used 34/70 exclusively. I know Denny Conn uses 34/70 for brewing clean ales and I've talked with a pro brewer in Northern Cali that uses US-05 for California Common. My anecdotal two cents.

i say toss it in and let it buck.
I agree!

My two cents on 34/70 and Nottingham (these are the two yeasts I use more than anything)
34/70:
I use repeatedly in temp ranges from 54 - 66 and have loved every beer it has produced! Its clean and crisp at all temps!

Nottingham:
I've used it in many a beer that people thought were lagers. It makes a very clean beer in the upper 50's and lower 60's.

- I just made a Kolsch with the Koln yeast strain. Fermented at 62-64. While it tastes good - I feel I would have got a cleaner/crisper beer with either 34/70 or nottingham at the same temps.

GOOD LUCK!

I've run it in the high/mid 60's works fine, I don't have a ferm chamber and everything gets done at "cellar" temp. Seemed to me to act about like 34/70, of course your mileage may vary.

Back