Brew Log - Date Error on Edit.

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
In my latest brew session I had incorrectly added entries out of true time sequence (OK I forgot to do it at the right time and was doing it retrospectively). Anyway, in an effort to correct things I looked at the Brew Log and thought I'd edit the date and time to make it correct.
Initially I was editing a fermentation entry and wondered why, after saving, the chart went haywire and suggested I actually started brewing 3 MONTHS ago!!! What?

Remember I am working in UK date and time format....

The upshot is:
1) An initial entry - saved with the date field unaltered (i.e. NOW) is saved with the correct date and time.
2) Go to [EDIT] that entry and the selected date time is misinterpreted as US format (Day/Month reversed).

This is the entry I wanted to edit. Correct date but the time was wrong. Select [EDIT] here.
upload_2020-7-4_12-51-59.png

This is what is displayed. I'm going back in time here...

upload_2020-7-4_12-54-33.png

Can I also suggest here - as I was puzzled how to add entries to the fermentation chart - that the drop-down list entry Sample be changed to read Sample (Fermentation Chart Entry) or similar. Just to make it more obvious as to what you are adding. Well it would have helped me anyway.

upload_2020-7-4_13-3-26.png

@AHarper @Yooper taking a look now.

In case you weren't aware, anything with this little icon
upload_2020-7-4_9-40-57.png
will show up on the fermentation chart. I'm not sure if that's possible to include in the event dropdown, but I'd prefer something that was less intrusive in the dropdown.

Also you can manually add any event log to the fermentation chart via the "annotation" button.

upload_2020-7-4_9-42-31.png

I think I'll put in a ticket to change this behavior slightly though, if you pick a log entry that is defaulted to ON for the chart, it should show up checked, but be able to be turned off. Right now you can't add a sample event without adding it to the fermentation chart, which I think is what you're trying to do here?

Okay, I see the issue. I'll put in a ticket to fix this asap, looks like the issue's showing up when the timestamp is edited. The dates being cooerced into US instead of the users format setting.

@AHarper @Yooper taking a look now.

In case you weren't aware, anything with this little icon View attachment 10700 will show up on the fermentation chart. I'm not sure if that's possible to include in the event dropdown, but I'd prefer something that was less intrusive in the dropdown.

Also you can manually add any event log to the fermentation chart via the "annotation" button.

View attachment 10701

I think I'll put in a ticket to change this behavior slightly though, if you pick a log entry that is defaulted to ON for the chart, it should show up checked, but be able to be turned off. Right now you can't add a sample event without adding it to the fermentation chart, which I think is what you're trying to do here?

Hi Priceless,

I took a look at that icon (Lv/) and it does not appear if you select OTHER as an entry from the drop-down list, but yes that may be helpful if you could use it.
My main reason for the edits was I was having trouble getting full entries from the Tilt I am using - that is a whole different issue and is no doubt due to the way I have my system set up - so I was trying to replicate entries manually but adding to the Brew Log. It didn't twig with me that Sample meant "add an entry to the fermentation chart" so I used OTHER - which didn't do as I had hoped.
Eventually I read Blog and Documentation elsewhere and saw that SAMPLE was the option I need.

Anything to make it more obvious in the drop-down would be good. I discovered the hint from the Event section of the Brew Log documentation. That gave me the idea of the "extra" bit for the drop-down. A different colour of text perhaps - or Bold or Sample SG?

Also I notice that Tilt output data that generates the Fermentation Chart do NOT appear in the Brew Log. Is this intended or an omission? My own preference would be for it to be added to the Brew Log but it may not be possible. This might be the case for other Integrations - I don't have any so I don't know.

I hope this helps.
upload_2020-7-4_16-38-15.png

Last edited:
Hi Priceless,

I took a look at that icon (Lv/) and it does not appear if you select OTHER as an entry from the drop-down list, but yes that may be helpful if you could use it.
My main reason for the edits was I was having trouble getting full entries from the Tilt I am using - that is a whole different issue and is no doubt due to the way I have my system set up - so I was trying to replicate entries manually but adding to the Brew Log. It didn't twig with me that Sample meant "add an entry to the fermentation chart" so I used OTHER - which didn't do as I had hoped.
Eventually I read Blog and Documentation elsewhere and saw that SAMPLE was the option I need.

Anything to make it more obvious in the drop-down would be good. I discovered the hint from the Event section of the Brew Log documentation. That gave me the idea of the "extra" bit for the drop-down. A different colour of text perhaps - or Bold or Sample SG?

Also I notice that Tilt output data that generates the Fermentation Chart do NOT appear in the Brew Log. Is this intended or an omission? My own preference would be for it to be added to the Brew Log but it may not be possible. This might be the case for other Integrations - I don't have any so I don't know.

I hope this helps.
View attachment 10704
Thanks for the info.

As far as I understand that's correct, device integration is added to the fermentation chart, but not the brew log entries which are only added via manual entries from the user. I don't have a tilt so I can't really confirm.

I'll brainstorm and see what we can do to clarify it further.

I have a Tilt.
What would you like to see added to the Brew Log? The data comes often (every 15 minutes), so I personally do NOT want to see it on the brew log. I think I'm not understanding what it is you want to see from the Tilt on the brewlog.

I have a Tilt.
What would you like to see added to the Brew Log? The data comes often (every 15 minutes), so I personally do NOT want to see it on the brew log. I think I'm not understanding what it is you want to see from the Tilt on the brewlog.

Hi Yooper, Yes I appreciate that there could be many reports from the Tilt that would clog the Log - and a clogged Log is not what anyone wants :)-) . I have seen some Tilt outputs that are quite jagged - from the 1/4 hour reports and they do produce an interesting graph so that many Log entries would complicate things.
Since no one would be taking that many SG readings manually, there would only need to be an entry every 8 to 12 hours as you would if you were taking a reading with a hydrometer and writing it on the back of the printed out recipe (well that's how I do it!). As we are looking for a level graph or 3 or 4 successive readings of the same SG after a week or so to determine the end of fermentation, plucking these out of the data stream and putting them into the Log would aid in tracking this in the documentation - the Brew Log does not report any Integrated readings. Something worth thinking about - or rejecting if it proves too complicated so it's just an idea.
I don't know what the Notifications are that form part of the Extras (that I don't pay for) but I suspect you can set up some sort of trigger points from the Tilt data to let you know remotely how your brew is doing. Perhaps one of these "triggers" can input the Log data? I have no idea, just a guess.
I still have issues with having my Raspberry Pi Zero W system sending me the regular data - I only get (or rather got) data into BF system when my metal garage door is open such that the Pi can connect to the house Wifi. I therefore have incomplete readings - so far - but I am working on that. That's the reason I wanted manual entries in the Log....

I don't know what the Notifications are that form part of the Extras (that I don't pay for) but I suspect you can set up some sort of trigger points from the Tilt data to let you know remotely how your brew is doing. Perhaps one of these "triggers" can input the Log data? I have no idea, just a guess.
I still have issues with having my Raspberry Pi Zero W system sending me the regular data - I only get (or rather got) data into BF system when my metal garage door is open such that the Pi can connect to the house Wifi. I therefore have incomplete readings - so far - but I am working on that. That's the reason I wanted manual entries in the Log....

Yes, the notifications will send you an email or text if the temperature is below X or above X or the SG hits XXXX, etc, depending on what you enter there. I think having it in the log automatically may create far more clutter. for example, in my last brew, I wanted to know if I got above 68 degrees. I got a notice (but also saw it on the graph), so I changed it. I annotated the brewlog manually, with what I did to change it, so I would still make an entry.

Let's think about it, because I think it could really be a cluster if I was getting brew log entries based on my Tilt's behavior. I like being in charge of my entries.

You can add manual entries any time you like.

I have an old iPhone and an old iPad, so I don't have a problem getting readings to my computer.

Well yes you wouldn't want ALL the messages I agree.
I too have an old phone I use - and I used to use that before I got the Pi. Now all I have to do is go into the kitchen, press the remote control for the garage door, leave it open for 20 minutes (to be in the Cloud Report window) and all should be well. At least that is the plan - which used to work but that was 6 months ago before I laid off brewing (that's why you haven't seen me on here for a while). Now I am thirsty again I am back into the brewing - and giving you grief hehe.

An update to fix the original date and +days has gone live. Let us know if you find anymore issues @AHarper

Back