Been thinking about a “historical” beer of sorts...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I know where the Joseph Bulin’s brewery was, the spring that fed it is still there...

My grandfather knows where he used to pick wild hops with his dad on his farm that His grandfather Alfred(Joseph’s son) used to make beer at the farm...

Pretty sure I can get the water, know I can get the hops...

Considering doing just that and SMaSHing them with some Pilsner malt. I’ll just have a swag at how much to use...

You can make little hop teas with a some malt extract to get an idea of what the flavor and bitterness may be like.
Sounds like a cool endeavor! Keep us posted.

I know where the Joseph Bulin’s brewery was, the spring that fed it is still there...

My grandfather knows where he used to pick wild hops with his dad on his farm that His grandfather Alfred(Joseph’s son) used to make beer at the farm...

Considering doing just that and SMaSHing them with some Pilsner malt. I’ll just have a swag at how much to use...
You could just single hop whatever your favorite brew is with it, and see what it gives you. Say a brew that gets a 60, 30, 10, and one dry addition. Once you get a feel for what is strength is, use it for that. If you get bitterness that you like, and no flavor or aroma, hmmm, you have a bittering hop. Bonus, you always need those. If the aroma is outstanding, you have a dry hop hop, and so on... I have a plant that I got last year, no idea what it is, that is what I plan to do.

Sounds epic! I'll be watching this thread for sure!

Great idea Bulin now you need a name Jospeh's time traveller o_O:).

Great idea Bulin now you need a name Jospeh's time traveller o_O:).

AFB Special Ale...(Alfred Felix Bulin), my great great grandfather. Died before I was born, heard enough stories about him to get the idea that he was the kind of guy who would appreciate having a beer named for him.

Last edited:
I've had my eye on the wafer ash trees (hop tree, stinking ash, skunk bush) in my neighborhood. I'll harvest enough to try bittering with them but I think the flavor is in the early fruit (winged seed pods). A month ago they had a very skunky aroma and interesting bitterness. Now they're bitter but have lost some of the skunkiness and have gone a little tart and citrusy.
Good luck with your quest! Quite nice piece of family history. :)

Back