Thick Smoothie like NEIPA

Warne2020

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently had a fuzz box from Garage Project. Loved it! Looks like an orange juice and tastes juicy too. Would love to make a beer inspired by this. What ingredients should I consider using to achieve this style? It’s a NEIPA.

I was thinking of adding fruit too - oranges, pineapple, mango so boost the aroma and flavour. How do you add the fruit and when do you add the fruit? I’ve heard you need to freeze it first to get rid of any bacteria/nasties.

Thanks for in advance for the help.

Attachments

• A6D8E654-D03A-4FD7-9377-63C9EFA294EB.jpeg
    A6D8E654-D03A-4FD7-9377-63C9EFA294EB.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 88
My recent hoppy blond had a fair bit of passionfruit in it I found that whilst it brought that flavour it thinned the beer out a little too much. So keep this in mind when creating the recipie.

I add fruit at whirlpool and post ferm pureed and heated 70c 20mins-30mins to pasturise

I've tried the freezing once with ginger root which worked.

IMHO that you can get all of the juicy flavors you are looking for from hops. As Ben mentions adding the fruit may actually have the opposite effect you are looking for as far as mouth feel goes. Does the beer that you sampled have any fruit in it?

The hops you want to use for a fuzz box clone would be galaxy, nelson sauvin and mosaic. If you use Craig's links above for a basic recipe you can then post a link and we can make suggestions.

Screenshot_20200630-092108_Chrome.jpg
Here are my percentages of fermentables, they work for my, YMMV

IMHO that you can get all of the juicy flavors you are looking for from hops. As Ben mentions adding the fruit may actually have the opposite effect you are looking for as far as mouth feel goes. Does the beer that you sampled have any fruit in it?
I’m not sure if it does have fruit in it. But the flavour is really juicy!

Thanks for all your help. I’ll have a look at creating a recipie and see if I can come up with something with only hops.

Will rolled oats and wheat malt do the job of increased mouthfeel? I have never tried changing my water chemistry but am keen to try.

Also is there such a thing as too many hops in post boil (dry hopping, whirlpool ect)?
I only brew smaller batches eg 10 L

Any recommendation on yeast to use? I’ve used US-05 in the past but for a NEIPA that’s thicker should I use another one (provided my home brew store, I’m in Aus) can stock it!

Last edited:
There are some who don't agree with my oz per gallon hop ratio, but I will tell you that this is how you get the juicy flavor. Whirlpool 1 ounce per gallon, first dry hop 1 ounce per gallon, second dry hop another ounce per gallon. I would swap out some of your basemalt for flaked wheat at 10%, and also to increase the flaked oats up to 18%, and yes this is for mouth feel. You could add lactose to make it a little sweeter, and add more mouth feel. I assume the crystal is in there for color, you could lose that, or not. US-05 is fine, if you can get VOSS Kveik, it will be ready a week sooner.

Will rolled oats and wheat malt do the job of increased mouthfeel?

When I use flaked oats for my Oatmeal Stout I have added a 30 minute beta-glucanase mash for 30 minutes at 118 degrees with just the flaked oatmeal and base grain. Then I bring the mash up to 152 and add the rest of the grains for 60 minutes. IMO this added a much better mouthfeel to my stout. Still experimenting as I only have about 8 beers under my belt so far.

When I use flaked oats for my Oatmeal Stout I have added a 30 minute beta-glucanase mash for 30 minutes at 118 degrees with just the flaked oatmeal and base grain. Then I bring the mash up to 152 and add the rest of the grains for 60 minutes. IMO this added a much better mouthfeel to my stout. Still experimenting as I only have about 8 beers under my belt so far.
Interesting, I must do some research on that.

If you do go with increasing the flaked oats, and add the flaked wheat, you should add some rice hulls so you don't get a stuck sparge. I use 2lbs in my 10 gallon batch with about 29lbs of grain, sparge flows beautifully

Also is there such a thing as too many hops in post boil (dry hopping, whirlpool ect)?
I only brew smaller batches eg 10 L

Any recommendation on yeast to use? I’ve used US-05 in the past but for a NEIPA that’s thicker should I use another one (provided my home brew store, I’m in Aus) can stock it!
The too much post boil is to really just your taste. There is a point where you get diminishing returns from the hops you add, but there's ways around that (hopping cooler, splitting the dry hop) and just because it's diminishing returns doesn't mean it's non-existent (though there will come a point of saturation).

I tripled my dry hop ages ago because I just wasn't getting the flavour I wanted. It made a hug difference and I still don't hop as much as Craig does. I quite enjoy a few from Hargreaves Hill that quote 40g/L dry hop on the can.

For the yeast, if you're restricted to dry you could try the New England or Nottingham from Lallemand. Or if it's Fermentis/Safale yeasts their recommendations are - https://fermentis.com/en/yeast-to-brew-a-neipa/. For the liquid yeasts I enjoy London Ale III, but haven't tried the others that are mentioned.

I don't see any real problems with the recipe you've got as a starting point. I'd brew it and then if it's not juicy enough you can try the bigger hopping rates (though you may want to split the dry hop into two phases just to get it into the beer, one very early, the other before fermentation finishes).

Awesome thank you all for your feedback. I’ll take it into consideration.

There is a link the following article in one of those threads, but I will paste it here as well, for more mouth feel maybe go 3:1 chloride to sulfates.

https://homebrewanswers.com/hazy-ipa-recipe/

Having never altered my water profile before. Is there a particular water profile to base it on that’s on brewers friend or the correct amounts I should have of each element in the water?

Here is my target and actual water profile for my NEIPA'S, I created my own "light colored and malty" target. Also my water volumes and salt additions to get roughly to my target, hope this helps.
Screenshot_20200705-111100_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200705-111254_Chrome.jpg

For table salt I use pickling salt (table salt is iodized). My batch size is 10 gallons. The important thing is the Cl to So4 ratio. Should be 2:1 or even as much as 3:1, this will downplay hop bitterness, and promote the haze, and mouth feel you are looking for.

Back