Such a thing as too quick a fermentation?

BattleBuddy

Premium Member
Reaction score
I made a 15L batch of the below recipe Monday night using Wyeast 1056, 36 hours later and it is already at 5.8% (1.062 OG, 1.018 now).

Is there any risk to a fermentation generating so quickly?

First time i have used this yeast, normally use US-05.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/995618/blue-juice
(a clone of Elvis Juice but named after my cat as he is my king of rock and roll)

No. Quick fermentations are good. It may have been a slight over pitch, in that case the esters are suppressed and some claim lower malt flavor. I guess I have never really noticed lower malt flavor.

That depends on the cause. A fast fermentation due to pitching plenty of healthy yeast and sufficient oxygen in the wort is a good thing. Fast fermentation caused by unreasonably high temperature is a bad thing. Note that reasonable fermentation temperature will vary depending on the yeast strain.

That depends on the cause. A fast fermentation due to pitching plenty of healthy yeast and sufficient oxygen in the wort is a good thing. Fast fermentation caused by unreasonably high temperature is a bad thing. Note that reasonable fermentation temperature will vary depending on the yeast strain.
Sadly we are having a heatwave here in UK this week, but i do not think it is TOO hot yet.
Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 15.06.57.png

28C is pretty hot for 1056, especially during the early stages of fermentation. It wouldn't surprise me if you had some fusils and more esters than normal. t appears the temperature was the cause of the quick fermentation.

28C is pretty hot for 1056, especially during the early stages of fermentation. It wouldn't surprise me if you had some fusils and more esters than normal. t appears the temperature was the cause of the quick fermentation.
Will that affect the taste/quality?

The fusil alcohol can impart a bite and the esters sweet and fruity flavors. The alcohol bite will fade in time, but the fruity esters will likely remain. How noticeable the effects are will depend on the beer and your perception.

It might, but I wouldn't worry about it until you drink it. Nothing you can do about it.

Looks like it started at 22.5C or so. I just made one with S04 pitched at 20C and it peeked at 25C or so. It was fine. If it dropped in gravity that quick, most likely it will be fine. Pitching into 27C wort is another story, that will cause problems. Pitch at 22C to free rising to 27-28C is less of a problem.

Taste it, if it tastes like rocket fuel it was too high. I still say fast fermentations are generally good fermentations.

Yeah Tilt, love it but i work in data analytics so this is my dream.
I want to get myself one of those! If you hook it up with a Robobrew and an old fridge with a greenhouse heater lamp you’ll be able to control your fermentation temp and not worry about the hot weather.

Back