Ventilation while brewing

west1m

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Those of you who brew in a basement, how do you vent the steam while in the Boil?
I thought of using a dryer vent type setup but I was wondering about water sitting in the vent pipe and getting moldy.

No ventilation required here, the steam provides humidity.

I brew outside on patio but if in winter night I get some condensation on roof.

I brew 15 gallon batches in my garage and I don't like the intense steam collecting on the popcorn ceiling. Mold is always a consideration in a warm, relatively humid climate. If it's during the (relatively short) winter, I don't worry too much but fall, spring and summer, I open the garage door and turn on a fan to push the steam out...or at least in an outward direction. :)

I get some condensation on the cold water pipes in the basement but the basement is unfinished so the water really can't hurt anything. And as mentioned previously, the house (and my skin) can use the moisture.

I push the steam towards an open basement window. I also open the other two windows. I haven't had any issues. (I use a 120v robobrew... I wonder what the 220v version, I 've been considering buying, may need.

If it's really hot and humid, I put a box fan blowing outward in the basement door. Works fine.

No ventilation required here, the steam provides humidity.

Same, I don't do much in the house but Edmonton is so dry I'd have to boil a full brew daily to have any concerns.

Brewing in the garage if it gets annoying I open the garage doors and turn on a box fan to move some air.

Back