Kveik questions

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve done 4 brews with Kveik but have questions to branch out a little. I have Voss and I keep the slurry to reuse. I am still waiting on bottle conditioning for 2 of them, one is in the fermenter, the only one I’ve had was my IPA with I loved. I read every post on Kveik I could find.

1. Even though this is rated 77-104 f can I ferment lower at room temp? Effects on speed and flavor?
  2. I have over pitched every brew with this, is that why I have chucks?
  3. Do I need to worry much about the citrus type flavors clashing with hops such as Goldings and the German type hops?
  4. How many times do you use the same slurry? 3 times?
  5. How low abv can I go and not need nutrients? I’d like to turn out some 3.5-4% lawnmowers.

I’ve done 4 brews with Kveik but have questions to branch out a little. I have Voss and I keep the slurry to reuse. I am still waiting on bottle conditioning for 2 of them, one is in the fermenter, the only one I’ve had was my IPA with I loved. I read every post on Kveik I could find.

1. Even though this is rated 77-104 f can I ferment lower at room temp? Effects on speed and flavor?
  2. I have over pitched every brew with this, is that why I have chucks?
  3. Do I need to worry much about the citrus type flavors clashing with hops such as Goldings and the German type hops?
  4. How many times do you use the same slurry? 3 times?
  5. How low abv can I go and not need nutrients? I’d like to turn out some 3.5-4% lawnmowers.

1. Yes, but I have an IPA now that fermented at 68 or so, and it's too 'peachy' for me. It still fermented out fast.
2. Um, I don't know what that means
3. Definitely. It'd maybe be good with goldings in many beers, but it would really clash with noble hops in my opinion. (but again, mine right now is so darn peachy that I think it would clash with most things)
4. I save from the fermenter, and save only a portion that I reuse.
5. You won't need nutrients for lower ABV beers. I wouldn't overpitch, though.

Thanks for the quick responses!
What I meant on #2 was I had so much yeast in there siphoning was a little difficult. But until yesterday’s brew I’ve been over pitching.

For temp I was thinking of pitching at 90, cover in hoodie, then letting it ride. I have 1 warmer for a fermenter. I do gallon or 2 at a time.

Last edited:
Your best underpitching kviek sometime overpitching can = underattenuation weird eh but is what I've found.

In the yeast generation slurry use of just keep on going I'm on around gen 5 on my hornindal Kviek. I just pitch a bit of saved slurry then pitch the rest into a starter.
Good luck

Kveik is a different beast for sure. I have found different strains handle differently (imagine that)!
When it comes to Voss I have found under pitching and high temps work very well. I pitched a tsp in a 6 gallon batch at 95f last Sunday. I had huge krausen within 3 hours and fermentation was basically done Monday night.

A picture speaks a thousand words
20200621_074433.jpg

Gen 5 hornindal my next pitch is next to big momma same ferm temp some times I spin them on the stir plate.
Actually looks like starter is nearly done:) bit over + 12hrs

Kveik is a different beast for sure. I have found different strains handle differently (imagine that)!
When it comes to Voss I have found under pitching and high temps work very well. I pitched a tsp in a 6 gallon batch at 95f last Sunday. I had huge krausen within 3 hours and fermentation was basically done Monday night.
I'm just curious, but isn't 1 tsp way under pitching 6 gallons? Did you reach your FG?

I'm just curious, but isn't 1 tsp way under pitching 6 gallons? Did you reach your FG?
You can't think of kveik the same ways as normal yeasts. Totally fermented out in less than 36 hours. It's been kegged and on tap. I've been on call so haven't had more than a pint. Here it is from an earlier posting.
IMG_20200622_085227.jpg

I repitched a bit of the yeast into another IPA I brewed yesterday. It was going gang busters and fermenting away in 2 hours. I'm guessing it'll be done later this evening. Fermenter holding steady at 90f, and krausen is starting to drop.
IMG_20200622_130541.jpg

Last edited:
Kveik uses a staggeringly smaller pitch rater than regular yeast.

Just watched this talk by Lars on All Things Kviek. Well mostly his learnings from Native Norwegian Kviek brewers and delves into some of the sciency stuff behind this unique yeast strain. Thought I'd flick a link on Here for you all to Enjoy. Cheers.

I assume you made an IPA with this underpitch? You seriously didn't get any Green Apple flavors? Or harsh fusels? --- pretty impressive!
I have two packs of the stuff I have been considering giving away... I'm just not sure they'd make the type of beer I like drinking... Balanced lagers or psuedo lagers.
Anyone tried the yeast on say a Blonde Ale? ---- or is that not the point at all? -----

Beer looks tasty BTW!

I assume you made an IPA with this underpitch? You seriously didn't get any Green Apple flavors? Or harsh fusels? --- pretty impressive!
I have two packs of the stuff I have been considering giving away... I'm just not sure they'd make the type of beer I like drinking... Balanced lagers or psuedo lagers.
Anyone tried the yeast on say a Blonde Ale? ---- or is that not the point at all? -----

Beer looks tasty BTW!
I made a balanced “Pilsner” with it and it turned out well.

I made a balanced “Pilsner” with it and it turned out well.
NICE! - Great to hear because I have way more of the stuff than I remember buying! - Like 10 packs of Voss Kveik... Care to share what temp and pitching rate?

I do small batches. 1.3 gallons. I pitch 1 tsp Of slurry and if some sticks to the spoon no problem. I pitch at 95. It will stay hot on its own when it takes off. I do use a warmer underneath since after a day or so when fermentation slows temp starts to drop. I used dry Voss the first time and have been reusing slurry since. I used about a 1/4 pack which was an over pitch the first time.

I do small batches. 1.3 gallons. I pitch 1 tsp Of slurry and if some sticks to the spoon no problem. I pitch at 95. It will stay hot on its own when it takes off. I do use a warmer underneath since after a day or so when fermentation slows temp starts to drop. I used dry Voss the first time and have been reusing slurry since. I used about a 1/4 pack which was an over pitch the first time.
Thanks for the information! I may try it at cooler temps. Like in the 70s or low 80s... - I suppose that shouldn't be an issue...

I’ve heard people doing that to be more lager like with no issues.

I find if you pitch more yeast at a cooler temperature you get less "Kviek" flavour out of it but it's a fairly minor thing.

For those of you using this yeast, are you using dry or liquid? If dry, are you making a starter or re-hydrating the yeast before you pitch? I'm thinking of using the Voss in my next NEIPA.

Back