Kveik questions

I used dry then saved slurry. I only do small batches but I’ve done I think 7 batches on 1 pack and I have a pasta sauce jar full of more in the fridge ready to use. No need to do a starter with the dry Kveik

I've always used liquid but largely because I've been afraid of drying it myself.

For those of you using this yeast, are you using dry or liquid? If dry, are you making a starter or re-hydrating the yeast before you pitch? I'm thinking of using the Voss in my next NEIPA.
I can only get VOSS in liquid form at the moment. For my most recent 6% NEIPA, I split one 180 billion cell package between two fermenters with 5.5 gallons each, no starter. It took off in hours, and was fermented out in less than 3 days.

So I have a chance to brew this weekend and my fermenting chamber only has enough room for a single fermenter, which currently has an IPA in it. Also, when I upgrade to 10 gallons, my plan was to split one bucket to the chamber, the other room temp and pitch that one with Kveik because of the high temp range. I am unfamiliar with the yeast but figured any APA, or IPA would work good with it. But this weekend just thinking about a standard range blonde with the Voss. And, rehydrate the whole pack as normal. Anything I need to be concerned when using this yeast or business as usual?

You can use a lot less of it at higher temperatures but otherwise yeah business as usual.

You can use a lot less of it at higher temperatures but otherwise yeah business as usual.

so, rehydrate 1/2 the packet and save the rest for another day? Like putting a bag of chips back in the cabinet? Probably ferment around 78-80* in the warmest back closet somewhere in the house.

In my mind, it seemed like the perfect hot weather dry yeast for an ale. Brew, pitch, forget about it. But after reading about the pitching variations, guess it’s not as simple. Although saving a dry packet for later seems more bang for the buck, just making sure it’s that easy.

You don’t need half a pack or to rehydrate.

So how much do you suggest for a blonde? Guessing sprinkle a 1/4 packet straight into the wort, no rehydration and let’er rip? Roll the packet back up and stick it in the fridge. Get 4 beers per packet, or more if you use previous batch slurries? Am I understanding this right?

I believe that it will ferment more quickly with warmer temps. It should do well at the temperature you are stating. I don't know for sure but I believe that it isn't too fussy about pitch rate, but again, my experience is with liquid VOSS. You probably don't need to over think it. If you are doing a 5G batch, I don't see any reason not to just pitch the whole package.

I see zero need to rehydrate kviek. Around a tsp should be just fine.

I'm going to cut some parchment paper sheets and dry a bunch of my kviek in my dehydrator.

Reactions: Jnh
I see zero need to rehydrate kviek. Around a tsp should be just fine.

I'm going to cut some parchment paper sheets and dry a bunch of my kviek in my dehydrator.

I'm very curious to hear how this goes.

So how much do you suggest for a blonde? Guessing sprinkle a 1/4 packet straight into the wort, no rehydration and let’er rip? Roll the packet back up and stick it in the fridge. Get 4 beers per packet, or more if you use previous batch slurries? Am I understanding this right?
A tsp-tbsp is plenty. Pitch hot. It will be bubbling within a few hours tops. I’d say you can get 4 batches out of that packet. I do 1/2 tsp with 1.3 gallon batches. I’ve never had an issue. Pitch hot and it will love you back. I didn’t rehydrate or make a starter. Now I have the slurry and it does just as well only using a little.

Last edited:
Hell I can’t figure it out
Hell I can’t figure it out
314332_7x6xj5v86q_lg.jpg

Just realized I started this thread I’ve learned some since then. Just enough to get beer right unfortunately.
Do you bottle your kveik batches? I brewed with lalbrew voss yesterday and pitched around 95F, and it seemed pretty happy this morning

Back