clueless to a point

riilier2020

Trial Member
Reaction score
Okay some Brewing 2 gallons of beer it's a stout. The Rhett penis Dr has given has 6 lb of dry malt extract. so I'm not sure if I need to use all of that for my recipe or not, how to mention I wasn't told how much sugar to add versus the package of yeast

I'm not sure where the typos leave off and the real words begin but...
6 lbs of DME in 2 gallons will give you an original gravity of 1.132 and 12.99 % ABV. That's way more than you need.
For the average recipe, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 lbs of DME per gallon will do. There is no need to add any sugar - the DME is pretty much pure malt sugar and it's all you need to make beer.
Good luck.

What recipe are you using? Can you post it?

I'm not referencing a specific recipe. Do a search of the data base and you'll find dozens of similar recipes for a simple extract stout...top of the page>"search" tab>beer recipes> filter by style and method.

If you're really in the dark about how to proceed, list the ingredients that you have on hand and I can whip up a quick recipe that should work for you.

I'm not referencing a specific recipe. Do a search of the data base and you'll find dozens of similar recipes for a simple extract stout...top of the page>"search" tab>beer recipes> filter by style and method.
My question was based more on the guess it sounds like the original recipe Riillier is using is for a 5 gallon batch. To get a better idea of the amount of malt to use it may be as simple as multiply by 0.4.

Recipes scale directly. For example... half the final volume, half the malt and half the hops will yield the same beer.

Kind of wondering if this is a Bot...

Recipes scale directly. For example... half the final volume, half the malt and half the hops will yield the same beer.
My bad....I should have been more specific. Multiply by 0.40: I was using a 1 to 1 ratio. I was referring to if (s)he wants to have a 2 gallon brew and if the recipe is 5 gallons then 2/5 = 0.40 or 40% He would need 6 x 0.4 = 2.4 lbs of malt extract if the 5 gallon brew required 6 lbs.

My bad....I should have been more specific. Multiply by 0.40: I was using a 1 to 1 ratio. I was referring to if (s)he wants to have a 2 gallon brew and if the recipe is 5 gallons then 2/5 = 0.40 or 40% He would need 6 x 0.4 = 2.4 lbs of malt extract if the 5 gallon brew required 6 lbs.
Yes, everything scales at the same ratio. If you want x% less beer you use x% less malt, etc.

It is always interesting, and sometimes funny, trying to decipher the written words that people submit to public forums. Proofreading, or editing after the fact are your friends, fellow brewers.
Yep, autocorrect is no replacement for literacy.

Back