Pasteirising cider

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Any experience? I've seen people putting bottles in hot water and really don't like the look of that.

I'm brewing 24lt batches so am thinking I may put it into the kettle and bring it up to paseurising temp.

Any cider makers here?

I just get the sunrype stuff and dump it in a bucket with some yeast.

Cider can be pasteurized at 155-160 F in just a few minutes. Note that you probably don’t want to exceed 170F as pectins may start separating from the cider. There are also some other potentially negative effects on the character at higher temperatures.

As an alternative to pasteurization, cider can be treated with sodium metabisulfite. This is commonly used In winemaking to kill wild yeasts. This can also be used with potassium sorbate when backsweetening cider to stop further fermentation.

Or you can take your chances and use untreated cider and add your yeast. They may eat all of the good sugars before the wild yeast and bacteria have a chance.

Last edited:
Pasteurizing after fermentation? Pasteurizing juice prior to fermentation? Not sure of the question.
I always just dump jugs or "100% Apple juice" with no perservatives into the fermenter and add the yeast. Then it just goes until it can't go any more. I keg so I don't have to worry about further fermentation but I don't think it'll do anything once it gets to .099 or lower gravity.

@J A That’s what I usually do. I just made cider this morning and followed that exact process.

However, if you get fresh cider, it may be a good idea to kill any wild yeast/bacteria prior to fermentation. Otherwise the results can be a bit unpredictable.

@J A That’s what I usually do. I just made cider this morning and followed that exact process.

However, if you get fresh cider, it may be a good idea to kill any wild yeast/bacteria prior to fermentation. Otherwise the results can be a bit unpredictable.
Most of the cider makers I know don't consider that approach quite sporting but I'd prefer to control my fermentation. And predict my results.

I've noticed this before and it confuses me.
Probably just semantics, but cider to me is fermented apples/apple juice.
Looks like here Cider equals fresh appple juice?

In the US, apple juice is cider and cider as we know it is 'hard cider'. I think...

I took the 'dump/pitch/ferment' route last time and it worked out great, far too easy!

I fermented it with a bunch of fruit that I bought frozen though (which I did pasteurise) and when it was all finished fermenting I wondered just how healthy that might be. I've had fruit sat rotting in a fairly warm environment for the guts of two weeks and thought that I may be running the risk of poisoning myself or anyone else who tried it.

I was just thinking that pasteurisation would take away any of those concerns.

Cider can be pasteurized at 155-160 F in just a few minutes. Note that you probably don’t want to exceed 170F as pectins may start separating from the cider. There are also some other potentially negative effects on the character at higher temperatures.

As an alternative to pasteurization, cider can be treated with sodium metabisulfite. This is commonly used In winemaking to kill wild yeasts. This can also be used with potassium sorbate when backsweetening cider to stop further fermentation.

Or you can take your chances and use untreated cider and add your yeast. They may eat all of the good sugars before the wild yeast and bacteria have a chance.

Interesting. So, while we are on the subject, i've been asked for a cider for a birthday party for my sister's boy and my usual one is coming out at 5.6% ABV. If they wanted a lower ABV cider would this approach do be the key to that?

I've been in the 'dump/pitch' camp so far and it's been great but I want some more control of the results now. I use sodium metabisulphate for a couple of things already so do have some around. How would you use it to stop fermentation?

Interesting. So, while we are on the subject, i've been asked for a cider for a birthday party for my sister's boy and my usual one is coming out at 5.6% ABV. If they wanted a lower ABV cider would this approach do be the key to that?

I've been in the 'dump/pitch' camp so far and it's been great but I want some more control of the results now. I use sodium metabisulphate for a couple of things already so do have some around. How would you use it to stop fermentation?

There are a number of articles out there describing how to use sodium metabisulfite in wine. It works the same for cider.

Basically, after the juice is pressed, the SMB is added and allowed to sit a day. After that, you pitch the good yeast, now knowing the wild organisms are dead.

As far as the lower ABV, there are two ways to approach this.

1. Less sugar. You can dilute prior to fermentation to the OG that corresponds to the desired ABV.
2. Stop fermentation when you hit the desired ABV. This will leave residual sugar, which may or may not be desired.

As far as the lower ABV, there are two ways to approach this.

1. Less sugar. You can dilute prior to fermentation to the OG that corresponds to the desired ABV.
2. Stop fermentation when you hit the desired ABV. This will leave residual sugar, which may or may not be desired.

Dilute with what though, water? I assume fruit juice isn't right for dilution because it contains sugar...

Soft Cider and Hard Cider are both things in Canada. Hard = Alcohol.

Back