Hi. I'm sort of new.

DavidSpencer

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
My love of beer has no end. A favourite activity of mine is to go to breweries and have a tasting flight. I like all styles, and the world of flavour. But, I moved from the city (with endless breweries) to the country with a limitied selection. So with a well developed palate, and love of cooking, I figured I could make pretty damn good beer. I gave it a shot with some extracts and a propane burner, then immediately went to Brewzilla, a four keg keggerator, a lagering fridge and a weekly or biweekly brewing schedule. My wife has major concerns!
I haven't been brewing for long, but I started using this site immediately. After I made my own recipes I had to buy-in. I have crafted over 20 recipes, but haven't brewed them all yet. (Essentially one recipe for every style I'd like to drink). The problem I have now is my friends already have their favourites so I'm repeating ones I've made. It's a good problem to have, I guess.
This is the first time I've used the site for anything other than building recipes and brew sessions.
Is there anyone else out there who is brewing up a catalog of brews to style with personal twists? Or a thread to follow some fine-tuning advice for multiple styles?

Cheers!

Welcome!!
I too love craft beers for the diverse and crazy flavors you can find! After a short time using brew kits, all of my recipes are now customized to fit my tastes. Like you, I repeat some favorites (a White IPA, A Motuka Cream Ale, and a farmhouse ale). I have yet to do any dark beers...I just can't get into the roasty bitter flavors.

I have yet to come across a thread to fine tune styles but this site does okay. However, I use the phone app (Untappd) to track the craft beers I sample (current count is 1242 :cool:!) I love having a sip of a new brew and comparing my taste experience to the reviews listed. It is also one of the reasons I usually use the tasting skills of friends and family, each of whom I have come to know favor one flavor profile or another so I custom the testing to what their pallet may be sensitive to. Over the last few years I have also begun to refine my pallet enough to begin recognizing particular hops in a given beer...which has brought me leaps and bounds forwards building my own recipes! All in thanks for the beer reviews for thousands of beers at my fingertips.

Welcome to Brewers Friend!
Maybe skim through the "Recipes for Feedback" Sub forum, and pick through different threads on different styles.
Everyone's tastes are different, and there are as many ideas as to how to brew a certain style as there are brewers brewing them!
You could also post a link to the recipe for your next brew in that same area, and invite comments and suggestions.
There are a lot of REALLY SMART people on this forum (to everyone that thinks I am talking about them, I categorically deny having just said that), and you will get a lot of thoughtful input. This is a very friendly place!

Oh, and go LEAFS!

Welcome!!
I too love craft beers for the diverse and crazy flavors you can find! After a short time using brew kits, all of my recipes are now customized to fit my tastes. Like you, I repeat some favorites (a White IPA, A Motuka Cream Ale, and a farmhouse ale). I have yet to do any dark beers...I just can't get into the roasty bitter flavors.

I have yet to come across a thread to fine tune styles but this site does okay. However, I use the phone app (Untappd) to track the craft beers I sample (current count is 1242 :cool:!) I love having a sip of a new brew and comparing my taste experience to the reviews listed. It is also one of the reasons I usually use the tasting skills of friends and family, each of whom I have come to know favor one flavor profile or another so I custom the testing to what their pallet may be sensitive to. Over the last few years I have also begun to refine my pallet enough to begin recognizing particular hops in a given beer...which has brought me leaps and bounds forwards building my own recipes! All in thanks for the beer reviews for thousands of beers at my fingertips.

That sounds a lot like me! (Also have used "untapped," but far shy of your count at 291). Thanks for the reply.

Hey everyone.
My love of beer has no end. A favourite activity of mine is to go to breweries and have a tasting flight. I like all styles, and the world of flavour. But, I moved from the city (with endless breweries) to the country with a limitied selection. So with a well developed palate, and love of cooking, I figured I could make pretty damn good beer. I gave it a shot with some extracts and a propane burner, then immediately went to Brewzilla, a four keg keggerator, a lagering fridge and a weekly or biweekly brewing schedule. My wife has major concerns!
I haven't been brewing for long, but I started using this site immediately. After I made my own recipes I had to buy-in. I have crafted over 20 recipes, but haven't brewed them all yet. (Essentially one recipe for every style I'd like to drink). The problem I have now is my friends already have their favourites so I'm repeating ones I've made. It's a good problem to have, I guess.
This is the first time I've used the site for anything other than building recipes and brew sessions.
Is there anyone else out there who is brewing up a catalog of brews to style with personal twists? Or a thread to follow some fine-tuning advice for multiple styles?

Cheers!
You have some interesting ideas here! I would love to see more in the BLOG from others here! There are certainly some talented folks here who could write up some style blogs with Twists to them!

We can certainly swap some recipes if you'd like!

I just did a Porter that a lot of folks here helped me tweak into perfection and the result was well received by my father - my toughest critic! So - certainly don't hesitate to share a recipe for feedback! Also, use the thread on "What are you drinking right now" or "I brewed today" to share some recipes and brew pics!

I couple months ago I brewed a german bock recipe - fermented it with a Belgian yeast strain and then dry hopped it with an American hop for a very interesting brew!

I just started an instagram to post all my beer pics on - check it out if you'd like - Shuttz_Icehaus.

- I love seeing what folks here make and definitely LOVE seeing the beer pics! - Be sure to share!

I have yet to come across a thread to fine tune styles but this site does okay. However, I use the phone app (Untappd) to track the craft beers I sample (current count is 1242 :cool:!).
I lost count a long time ago!

- I love seeing what folks here make and definitely LOVE seeing the beer pics! - Be sure to share!

+1000

I love when people share their recipes, their beer pictures, their processes, their successes AND failures! And who hasn't had their share of both! I've picked up more great ideas at BF than anywhere else because no one here seems to have too big of an ego to share what went right OR wrong. And we all learn from both.

Keep 'em coming everyone!

Back