Cashmere Hops - Good Surprise

Daniel Parshley

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
It was a rainy day so what for you do? Brew! A very pleasant surprise from a recipe I whipped together on a whim here at BF with some Cashmere hops I've been wanting to try. Really like this and it came out much better than expected.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/991367/cashmere-30
Anyone else tried these Cashmere Hops? Not many recipes on BF using Cashmere. Thank you to all the "All Grain" brewers who have not udder a word, other than support, for this extract brewer. You know we all would like to have the toys to do an all grain batch.

It was a rainy day so what for you do? Brew! A very pleasant surprise from a recipe I whipped together on a whim here at BF with some Cashmere hops I've been wanting to try. Really like this and it came out much better than expected.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/991367/cashmere-30
Anyone else tried these Cashmere Hops? Not many recipes on BF using Cashmere. Thank you to all the "All Grain" brewers who have not udder a word, other than support, for this extract brewer. You know we all would like to have the toys to do an all grain batch.
I'll utter a word: Most of us cut our chops on extract. Moving to all-grain isn't some kind of graduation. Many never move to all-grain. I like to do the occasional extract batch, it's relaxing, I'm not balancing several variables at one time. There's nothing in the world wrong with extract brewing any more than it's wrong to make a cake from a mix. My first homebrewing medals were from an extract blonde.

I think many people move to all-grain too quickly, before they have the fundamental aspects of brewing down. Sanitation, not the recipe, is the most important factor in brewing yet most beginners focus on a recipe. Enjoy extract brewing. Use it to perfect your sanitation, fermentation management and general process. Then when you make the move to all-grain, it will go smoother.

BTW, I've never tried Cashmere. I tend to limit my brewing to ingredients I know well. Not saying that Cashmere is a bad hop, I just don't know it.

I have not used Cashmere hops either, interested in hearing how your batch comes out. I am an all grain 3 vessel brewer, but don't hold that against me:D
Cheers, look forward to hearing how it turns out!

I had some in the fridge, so I dry-hopped Muttbrau with it. Will rack (and sample) this evening.

You know we all would like to have the toys to do an all grain batch.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to produce an all-grain batch with limited equipment. Ideally you'd have a pot that's somewhat bigger than your fermenter and a bag for grain. That's about it.
I used a 6 gallon pot and a paint strainer for many very good batches of all-grain beer before I moved up into better equipment.

I have not used Cashmere hops either, interested in hearing how your batch comes out. I am an all grain 3 vessel brewer, but don't hold that against me:D
Cheers, look forward to hearing how it turns out!
The boil went as in the recipe, 7 day primary and 7 day secondary ferment, and bottled for 7 days when tried. The goal was to round out the flavors of the Mosaic Hops and make a nice summer, fruity, easy drinking brew. Flavor - The best I can describe is the Cashmere added a clean lemon/lime tart note at the finish. Very different from the Centennial Hop lemon flavor which I found more to the sour lemon side. I'm looking forward to tasting this batch as it has time to further condition.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to produce an all-grain batch with limited equipment. Ideally you'd have a pot that's somewhat bigger than your fermenter and a bag for grain. That's about it.
I used a 6 gallon pot and a paint strainer for many very good batches of all-grain beer before I moved up into better equipment.
Does all your equipment (pots and such) nest inside each other? Space wise, I'm doing what I can in the house and back porch. Next will be either a portable building (w/ at least AC) or pour a slab of concrete for a stick built. I already have the electrical and plumbing in place and made a 10 gallon pot from a stainless liquid O2 vessel. Have others used a portable building for their brew house?

Does all your equipment (pots and such) nest inside each other? Space wise, I'm doing what I can in the house and back porch. Next will be either a portable building (w/ at least AC) or pour a slab of concrete for a stick built. I already have the electrical and plumbing in place and made a 10 gallon pot from a stainless liquid O2 vessel. Have others used a portable building for their brew house?
Oh, yeah...I employed every trick to save space. I brewed outside on the back deck mostly before we moved 3 1/2 years ago. Now I have half a garage dedicated to brewing and it still gets tight with vessels, equipment, grain storage, keg storage, several fridges/chest freezers. It's not AC'd and it gets unbearable during the summer.

I rolled my rig outside to brew yesterday. I bought this from a local craft brewer, it was his home brew system that he used for years. He bought it from another guy too, so I have no idea how old it might be. I had the frame sandblasted, and powder coated, and have added pumps. Also working on an electrical panel so I can go electric.
20200606_081909.jpg

I rolled my rig outside to brew yesterday. I bought this from a local craft brewer, it was his home brew system that he used for years.
Wow. A ton of ideas and need-to-know stuff in that photo. Nice cart and I do have a welder. How hard is it to break down and clean all that after a brew day?

Wow. A ton of ideas and need-to-know stuff in that photo. Nice cart and I do have a welder. How hard is it to break down and clean all that after a brew day?
Vessel on the left is for water only, so no cleaning there. Center is the mash tun, notice I have a bag in there, makes clean up real easy, get the grains out and rinse. Other than it is fairly large, cleaning a boil kettle, is what it is. One pump is for water only, so no cleaning required there. I collect my chilling water in buckets to use when cleaning. I pour a healthy amount of that hot water into the HLT to run through the other (wort) pump.

I could'nt tell much about them from the dry hop results. From the aroma, I'm thinking they'd be best in something British - very minty.

I could'nt tell much about them from the dry hop results. From the aroma, I'm thinking they'd be best in something British - very minty.
Thanks for trying the Cashmere hop in one of your brews. I wanted to try this batch a few more times and have others taste it before getting back with you. We all like it with the Mosaic hop but also agree it isn't the best brew I've done with the C hops. It will take getting a half pound of the hop, doing the same recipe again, and doing an all Cashmere batch to figure out what I'll do going forward. I'm thinking, if I can reproduce the results, the Cashmere hop will be a small late boil and dry hop addition for a tad of lemon/lime tartness to some C hop recipes. I have to admit, when I opened the hops and smelled them, I was not at all impressed with the fragrance.

I liked the aroma of the Cashmere but felt that with the strong minty component, it would work better in a British style beer than in an American-style or a German Lager. I liked it a lot in the nose, it wasn't strong in the beer. In any case, I'm aging it a bit now before chilling and carbonating.

I liked the aroma of the Cashmere but felt that with the strong minty component, it would work better in a British style beer than in an American-style or a German Lager. I liked it a lot in the nose, it wasn't strong in the beer. In any case, I'm aging it a bit now before chilling and carbonating.
I ordered a half pound of Cashmere and will be doing an all Cashmere batch. Likely 0.5 oz at 60, 20, 10, and 5 min, and add 1.0 oz for dry hop. That should give me an idea about what I have. The last batch with Warrior bittering and Mosaic is conditioning well. The Warrior might be overwhelming some of the more delicate flavors and aromas. I'll let you know how it goes in 8-10 weeks.

Back