Bottle Condition Lallemand Voss Kveik Yeast

Hopscotch Brewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on bottling a session IPA I fermented with Voss Kveik yeast. I fermented at 95F. I’m wondering if there is enough yeast in suspension to bottle carbonate. Should I drain a small amount of slurry off the grub to get enough yeast into bottling bucket? Should I keep bottles on a heat mat at 95F or is room temperature ok?

I bottle all my beers I have never added extra yeast and I have never had a problem with them carbing up. I use table sugar dissolved in about 2 cups of boiled RO water added to the bottling bucket and gently stirred. I usually aim for about 2.5-2.8 volumes depending on the style. And I always bottle condition at about 60-65F (17-18C).

I never secondary. The beer is straight out of the fermenter into the bottling bucket then straight into the bottles. That could be why I always have enough yeast floating about for a good carb up.

That said, I have never used Kveik before.

@Tony. Thanks that’s what I always do to, and it always works. Agree with no secondary. Not needed and just another chance to oxidate the beer. Just not used to fermenting at that high of temp, so thinking I should store bottles at the high temp to carbonate for a couple weeks to keep the yeast happy.

@Tony. Thanks that’s what I always do to, and it always works. Agree with no secondary. Not needed and just another chance to oxidate the beer. Just not used to fermenting at that high of temp, so thinking I should store bottles at the high temp to carbonate for a couple weeks to keep the yeast happy.
Hmmmm. That IS a good question. I would still err on the side of a typical 60-65F but I see what you mean now. I checked the website for Kveik quickly and didn't really find a satisfactory answer. And If i understand better now: You are wondering about how the temperature tolerance of the Kveik will effect bottle conditioning and if it will stall at the lower temp or carb up like a more moderate yeast?

I look forward to hearing what someone who has used Kveik has to say about that.

You've got plenty of yeast left, don't add more.

bottle like normal, and then split them up maybe. bottle condition half at 95 and the other half at room temperature and see what the difference is.

Got a brew buddy who is using Hornindal Kviek and he said last batch took a while to carb up were in winter atm here in Aus.

Second batch he put them in esky with heat belt said he had pretty good carbonation within a week.

As per the strain kviek and most yeast will work quicker at higher temps just kviek will work cleaner.

When I used to bottle I was lucky to have an internal hot water system that had an conveniently shelf right above it that's where my bottles would go for two weeks for a nice warm second ferment

bottle like normal, and then split them up maybe. bottle condition half at 95 and the other half at room temperature and see what the difference is.
Yeah, this sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking that after a week bottle conditioning at 95F they may be ready, while the room temp may take 2-3 weeks.

Got a brew buddy who is using Hornindal Kviek and he said last batch took a while to carb up were in winter atm here in Aus.

Second batch he put them in esky with heat belt said he had pretty good carbonation within a week.

As per the strain kviek and most yeast will work quicker at higher temps just kviek will work cleaner.

When I used to bottle I was lucky to have an internal hot water system that had an conveniently shelf right above it that's where my bottles would go for two weeks for a nice warm second ferment

Thanks, Sounds like some heat is the way to go for Kveik

I wonder....
VOSS takes just a few days to ferment a batch in the mid to high 80's, I wonder if bottle conditioned as warm if it will be just as quick?
I will try a little experiment with the coffee porter I have in the fermenter now.

I wonder....
VOSS takes just a few days to ferment a batch in the mid to high 80's, I wonder if bottle conditioned as warm if it will be just as quick?
I will try a little experiment with the coffee porter I have in the fermenter now.
I think I will try the very same with the IPA I just bottled. Course, I used S-05 but the theory is the same. I will take a few bottles and put them somewhere warm to see if that speeds things up or if it changes the flavor, etc. It means I will have to drink a few bottles this weekend...but I've been training for that task for years!

I wouldn't store the US-05 bottles too warm, it may not like that and may adversely affect flavor, albeit the effect may be minimal, VOSS on the other hand likes the higher temps

I use S-05 a lot. I like it and its clean fermenting. I have read in a few different places that fermenting S-05 warm can give out some peach like flavors. I am kind of curious if I can get it to do that.

I use S-05 a lot. I like it and its clean fermenting. I have read in a few different places that fermenting S-05 warm can give out some peach like flavors. I am kind of curious if I can get it to do that.
Actually, fermenting on the cooler side with 05 throws the peach esters. Take it down to 64ish and below and most likely you'll start picking up peach. Of course taste, aroma, etc is different for everyone.

I have a Columbus IPA that I used Voss Kveik, looks like it will be ready to bottle whitin five days of brewing. Fermented at 90 deg. Will bottle with Corn Sugar at 78 deg. for one week see how it turns out. If not carbed will leave for another week. We will see what happens.

I just used some A44 and I always bottle condition...while I did think about it, I did wonder what if any change I should consider...normally I do 2 weeks in the conditioner but 1 week got a sampling and I'm loving it...plenty fizzy!

Edit..I thought I had posted this somewhere earlier so apologies if I did, good Kveik useage article here.

https://www.brewingnordic.com/farmhouse-ales/practical-guide-to-kveik-farmhouse-yeast-fermentation/

I didn't see exact directions in it for bottle conditioning but there are some good pointers on timing and checking progress ( the plastic bottle method) . I treated the priming like it was any other ale using dextrose and I have signs in the bottom of the few bottles I have had so far that there was enough suspended yeast that got out of the fermenter and into the bottling bucket and then the bottles. There's nothing but beery goodness coming out so far! Week 2 in the conditioner comes this Monday so I'll keep you posted if there is anything out of the norm.

Last edited:

Back