What Raspberry Pi for Tilt

BattleBuddy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Sorry for posting another noob question.

I have the Tilt and want to setup with a Pi but have no idea about this stuff.

Please can anyone advise me what Pi i need to buy on Amazon UK?

THanks

There are some good write-ups on the Tilt with the Pi. I have a RP, but I decided to use an old phone instead. I downloaded the Tilt app and connected to the WiFi. A good use for an obsolete phone.

O! M! G! I had never heard of such a thing until now!! A wireless hydrometer thermometer with a app to check it!!?? I wish they had an "mind blown" emoji for this one. Do you just pop it into the fermenter before you pitch the yeast and wait? My good gracious! Easy to change the battery?

There are some good write-ups on the Tilt with the Pi. I have a RP, but I decided to use an old phone instead. I downloaded the Tilt app and connected to the WiFi. A good use for an obsolete phone.
Was gonna try that but the only old phone I have is 13 years old and I could not update it to download the app.

O! M! G! I had never heard of such a thing until now!! A wireless hydrometer thermometer with a app to check it!!?? I wish they had an "mind blown" emoji for this one. Do you just pop it into the fermenter before you pitch the yeast and wait? My good gracious! Easy to change the battery?
Yes, spray it with sanitizer and drop it in. Battery is easy to change, but I didn’t need to change batteries until about 18 months of operation.

Hi folks,

THanks
The Model B should work just fine. And Tilt has an image you can download. Should go pretty smoothly.

Yes, spray it with sanitizer and drop it in. Battery is easy to change, but I didn’t need to change batteries until about 18 months of operation.

It's settled then...I'm getting one. AND my brother just happens to repair/refurbished/sell smart phones. I think it's time to see if he will take an exchange of beer for tech!

Hi folks,

Thanks
thanks for posting this!

It's settled then...I'm getting one. AND my brother just happens to repair/refurbished/sell smart phones. I think it's time to see if he will take an exchange of beer for tech!
All you need is a smart phone or tablet that has functioning wi-fi and bluetooth and can support the Tilt app. I have an old Kindle Fire that I have also used. An old iPad will work too.

Assuming you can't repurpose some old hardware...

If you're anywhere near Cambridge you can visit the one and only bricks and mortar store in the world - https://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-store/.

Amazon doesn't sell the boards, just add ons like power supplies or cases. https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ will list the various retailers for each product. If you're not sure what you're after, it's probably best to get a starter kit (Tilt supports versions 4, 3A, 3B or 3B+).

All those versions will actually be way more powerful than needed. So something like the tiltbridge mentioned above is better sized if you're happy to put it together yourself.

So i got my Pi and set it up and it connected to the Tilt with no issues at all :)

:( I cannot seem to get it to send to Brewers Friend sadly.

I have entered my API key, same one i used for the iPhone app which posts to BF no problem.
I tried toggling most settings but to no avail.

from the screen shot is there anything i am doing stupidly?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 14.23.00.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 14.23.00.png
    681.7 KB · Views: 145

It's so awesome. Here's a kolsch I have fermenting at this moment:
upload_2020-6-10_10-21-22.png

I have an old iPhone sending to Brewer's Friend, because my grandson uses my old iPad on occasion. I brewed this on Sunday, and I can keep an eye on the temperature just by glancing at my phone or Brewer's Friend. I have a Plus account, so I can even send emails if the temperature gets above 69 degrees!

The Tilt is expensive, that's the down side. It's very accurate (exactly matches my refractometer and hydrometer), gives me the temperature and status. I know some brewers like carboys so they can see fermentation- mine is in an opaque fermenter and doing just fine!

You sanitize it, and put it in. That's it.

Dumb questions: Why are some Tilt colors more expensive than others? Are there differences in operations?

It's so awesome. Here's a kolsch I have fermenting at this moment:
View attachment 10385

I have an old iPhone sending to Brewer's Friend, because my grandson uses my old iPad on occasion. I brewed this on Sunday, and I can keep an eye on the temperature just by glancing at my phone or Brewer's Friend. I have a Plus account, so I can even send emails if the temperature gets above 69 degrees!

The Tilt is expensive, that's the down side. It's very accurate (exactly matches my refractometer and hydrometer), gives me the temperature and status. I know some brewers like carboys so they can see fermentation- mine is in an opaque fermenter and doing just fine!

You sanitize it, and put it in. That's it.
That is awesome. I going to order one today. Might not be in by my next brew but I'm already excited!

That is awesome. I going to order one today. Might not be in by my next brew but I'm already excited!

We're enablers for sure. I blame homebrewtalk and brewers friend for making me spend about $6000 over the last 15 years! When I first joined a forum, I had a bucket and a 5 gallon pot. Now I have a 1/2 barrel all-electric HERMS, about 20 kegs, two kegerators, and all sorts of cool things like the Tilt. It could be worse, I could have taken up flying lessons or SCUBA as a hobby I guess................

We're enablers for sure. I blame homebrewtalk and brewers friend for making me spend about $6000 over the last 15 years! When I first joined a forum, I had a bucket and a 5 gallon pot. Now I have a 1/2 barrel all-electric HERMS, about 20 kegs, two kegerators, and all sorts of cool things like the Tilt. It could be worse, I could have taken up flying lessons or SCUBA as a hobby I guess................

HERMS...drool... True words! I started with positive why not attitude, a turkey fryer burner and 8 gallon pot that came with it...a borrowed carboy and some hand me down basics....now I had to build a room in the basement for my fancy gear!

Ahem....I just got my scuba license this past January...... :D;) I'm thinking of getting a tattoo to commemorate it....

Dumb questions: Why are some Tilt colors more expensive than others? Are there differences in operations?
I'm guessing somebody discounting things. They should be the same, colour is just so you can have more than one running at the same time.

Back